Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    fred3105 is offline Coordinator

Re: Some rare optimism/bold predictions from yours truly.

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    I understand that the 'WE DON'T NEED RANDY, WE SWEAR' talk makes all of you feel better, but be realistic.
    ^Yesterday.

Now today hes saying we will do better without Moss?
    http://homepage.mac.com/vijayr/PSU/MM05PSU2.mov (Mario Manningham)

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

maybe he's a skitzo.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    The Vikings will win no less than 11 games.

Why?

A few reasons:

1) Daunte will step up.

-Players play better when they have something to prove. They play smarter, harder, and with a mean streak. Culpepper will come out firing to prove that he does not need Randy Moss to put up historic numbers.

Stat Predictions: 4300 yards, 28-32 touchdowns, 12-16 INTs.

2) Ted Cottrell will unleash the dogs.

-With Fred Smoot and Darren Sharper back in coverage, Ted Cottrell will have a lot more leeway in loosing the dogs. I think especially effective will be Dontarrious Thomas blitzing from the weak side. He has the strength and speed to get to the quarterback before tight ends can pick him up. I also think Antoine Winfield is going to step up even more this year, because teams may choose to throw at him rather than Smoot, because for some reason there's this popular but incorrect belief that Fred Smoot is a better cover corner. No. But...

Stat Predictions: The Vikings will crack the top eight in defense. Even bolder prediction: They will lead the league in takeaways again - Pat and Kevin demanding double teams will free Udeze and James coming in from the sides, and force quarterbacks to throw erratic passes or take sacks.

3) My boldest prediction: Nate Burleson will step up.

- Dwight Clark's production tailed off near the end of the 1985 season. At that point, Jerry Rice had to step up.

Let this point not be forgotten - Randy Moss is the best receiver in the game today, and if he continues his production, will be remembered that way, and will carry a team to the Super Bowl in his back.
    But if I had to pick a receiver who most reminds me of the current greatest receiver in the league, Jerry Rice, it would be Nate Burleson.

He has the elusiveness, he racks up the YAC, he can run all the routes - and he had great teachers. An advantage he has over Rice is his leaping ability - it'll be interesting to see if Nate can take balls away from defenders this year, he's never had to make the 'jump ball' catches. I question his ability to get open deep and split Cover 2 zones (we'll find out if he can by the end of Week 1), and his hands concern me at times. But he will step up, and by the end of the year, everyone will know his name.

Stat Predictions: 75-85 catches, 1350-1500 yards, 12-14 touchdowns.

Skol Vikes/
    I agree that Randy is the best reciever in the game, but I don't see how you can say he'll put a team on his back and carry them to the Super Bowl. First of all, he never did it in Minnesota. The only time we even made it deep into the playoffs with Moss was when Carter was opposite him. Last year we made it to the playoffs, but without Moss for half of the season. Granted, he had a great game against the Pack, but even then he didn't carry the Vikes.

I don't see how you can say ANY player can carry a team to the Super Bowl. First of all, there are two sides to the ball. No offensive player can carry a defense, and no defensive player can carry an offense. Peyton Manning had the best statistical season ever for a QB, yet the Colts didn't win the Super Bowl. Why? Cuz their defense wasn't good enough to hold the Patriots down. No player has ever "carried" a team to the Super Bowl over a season. Granted, some players have had some great statistical years on their way to Super Bowls, but no one player ever carried an entire team. Moss will never carry an entire team to the Super Bowl. He certainly never did it in Minnesota. If there was only one side to the ball, maybe I could see it. But as we've seen over the past few years, offense doesn't get you a whole lot in the post season. Even when we made it deep into the playoffs with Moss and Carter and the old crew, the defense was very good. In '98 they gave up the 6th fewest points in the league. In 2000 they were the 29th ranked defense in the league, which came back to haunt us when we got blanked 41-0.

Unless Moss puts up about 200 catches 2000 yards and 35 TDs with the Raiders, he alone won't be able to carry them.

man 29th ranked when there was only 31 teams sux.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"ltrey33" wrote:
    "RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    The Vikings will win no less than 11 games.

Why?

A few reasons:

1) Daunte will step up.

-Players play better when they have something to prove. They play smarter, harder, and with a mean streak. Culpepper will come out firing to prove that he does not need Randy Moss to put up historic numbers.

Stat Predictions: 4300 yards, 28-32 touchdowns, 12-16 INTs.

2) Ted Cottrell will unleash the dogs.

-With Fred Smoot and Darren Sharper back in coverage, Ted Cottrell will have a lot more leeway in loosing the dogs. I think especially effective will be Dontarrious Thomas blitzing from the weak side. He has the strength and speed to get to the quarterback before tight ends can pick him up. I also think Antoine Winfield is going to step up even more this year, because teams may choose to throw at him rather than Smoot, because for some reason there's this popular but incorrect belief that Fred Smoot is a better cover corner. No. But...

Stat Predictions: The Vikings will crack the top eight in defense. Even bolder prediction: They will lead the league in takeaways again - Pat and Kevin demanding double teams will free Udeze and James coming in from the sides, and force quarterbacks to throw erratic passes or take sacks.

3) My boldest prediction: Nate Burleson will step up.

- Dwight Clark's production tailed off near the end of the 1985 season. At that point, Jerry Rice had to step up.

Let this point not be forgotten - Randy Moss is the best receiver in the game today, and if he continues his production, will be remembered that way, and will carry a team to the Super Bowl in his back.
    But if I had to pick a receiver who most reminds me of the current greatest receiver in the league, Jerry Rice, it would be Nate Burleson.

He has the elusiveness, he racks up the YAC, he can run all the routes - and he had great teachers. An advantage he has over Rice is his leaping ability - it'll be interesting to see if Nate can take balls away from defenders this year, he's never had to make the 'jump ball' catches. I question his ability to get open deep and split Cover 2 zones (we'll find out if he can by the end of Week 1), and his hands concern me at times. But he will step up, and by the end of the year, everyone will know his name.

Stat Predictions: 75-85 catches, 1350-1500 yards, 12-14 touchdowns.

Skol Vikes/
    I agree that Randy is the best reciever in the game, but I don't see how you can say he'll put a team on his back and carry them to the Super Bowl. First of all, he never did it in Minnesota. The only time we even made it deep into the playoffs with Moss was when Carter was opposite him. Last year we made it to the playoffs, but without Moss for half of the season. Granted, he had a great game against the Pack, but even then he didn't carry the Vikes.

I don't see how you can say ANY player can carry a team to the Super Bowl. First of all, there are two sides to the ball. No offensive player can carry a defense, and no defensive player can carry an offense. Peyton Manning had the best statistical season ever for a QB, yet the Colts didn't win the Super Bowl. Why? Cuz their defense wasn't good enough to hold the Patriots down. No player has ever "carried" a team to the Super Bowl over a season. Granted, some players have had some great statistical years on their way to Super Bowls, but no one player ever carried an entire team. Moss will never carry an entire team to the Super Bowl. He certainly never did it in Minnesota. If there was only one side to the ball, maybe I could see it. But as we've seen over the past few years, offense doesn't get you a whole lot in the post season. Even when we made it deep into the playoffs with Moss and Carter and the old crew, the defense was very good. In '98 they gave up the 6th fewest points in the league. In 2000 they were the 29th ranked defense in the league, which came back to haunt us when we got blanked 41-0.

Unless Moss puts up about 200 catches 2000 yards and 35 TDs with the Raiders, he alone won't be able to carry them.
    I agree completely. There is absolutely no way in hell that Moss is going to carry the Raiders on his back to the Super Bowl. The raiders have a Horrendous defense and do NOT have the same kind of supporting cast that we had/have. They do not have a QB as good as culpepper or Cunningham for that matter,and they do not have a running back as good as any of ours. It's as simple as that. If Moss couldn't lead us he defenitely won't lead them.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    "muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    With all due respect, 'thinking' his hands are fine doesn't make them fine. I 'thought' we'd never trade Randy Moss, and I 'thought' wrong.

Just curious, but did you watch TO when he was a young WR in san fran? Now there is a WR that had a case of the dropsies! Yet he overcame it and became one of the best WR's in the NFL. Now just because he did it, doesn't mean williamson will, but it does show that that is something that can be worked on. Chris Carter didn't have the awesome hands that he ended his career with, when he was first entering the league. Williamson seems to have good drive and determination, and a great work ethic, so that leads me to believe that he will work on his hands and improve. And nerves definitely contributed to some of the early drops, which showed when his drops became less and less as the camps went on.

Remember, williamson is a raw developmental WR, which is one reason I wanted big mike at 7 instead, but anyways because he is raw, hands and route running are the 2 things he is gonna be working hard on this year. If he imporves them both, he will be a great receiver in the NFL. If he doesn't, he will still be a good WR, but not great.

But I will not label a kid as having bad hands, because he dropped some balls in his first few mini camps, when he was nervous.
    TO STILL has a problem with dropped passes to this day - he just only drops the ball when his team is losing at the moment - see the tapes of the Pittsburgh game last year, the Atlanta game w/ the 49ers in I think 2002, etc.
    You forgot to mention that dropped TD pass that the refs conveniently forgot to look at when we played the Iggles on Monday night last year! :sad:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

the refs didnt forget to look at it, our team did.... we could have challenged it, but we didnt see it, dont be goin blamin the refs now...

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"TheFloridianVikingFan" wrote:
    the refs didnt forget to look at it, our team did.... we could have challenged it, but we didnt see it, dont be goin blamin the refs now...
    I was at that game, and it was definately a bad call regardless of whether or not we challenged it. The fumble on the goal line was also rather questionable.

the vikes just had some bad luck that game, just like they always do..hummm :sad:

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

"fred3105" wrote:
    "RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    I understand that the 'WE DON'T NEED RANDY, WE SWEAR' talk makes all of you feel better, but be realistic.
    ^Yesterday.

Now today hes saying we will do better without Moss?
    Glad your reading skills are up to third grade level. Now try some advancement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123