Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

Some rare optimism/bold predictions from yours truly.

The Vikings will win no less than 11 games.

Why?

A few reasons:

1) Daunte will step up.

-Players play better when they have something to prove. They play smarter, harder, and with a mean streak. Culpepper will come out firing to prove that he does not need Randy Moss to put up historic numbers.

Stat Predictions: 4300 yards, 28-32 touchdowns, 12-16 INTs.

2) Ted Cottrell will unleash the dogs.

-With Fred Smoot and Darren Sharper back in coverage, Ted Cottrell will have a lot more leeway in loosing the dogs. I think especially effective will be Dontarrious Thomas blitzing from the weak side. He has the strength and speed to get to the quarterback before tight ends can pick him up. I also think Antoine Winfield is going to step up even more this year, because teams may choose to throw at him rather than Smoot, because for some reason there's this popular but incorrect belief that Fred Smoot is a better cover corner. No. But...

Stat Predictions: The Vikings will crack the top eight in defense. Even bolder prediction: They will lead the league in takeaways again - Pat and Kevin demanding double teams will free Udeze and James coming in from the sides, and force quarterbacks to throw erratic passes or take sacks.

3) My boldest prediction: Nate Burleson will step up.

- Dwight Clark's production tailed off near the end of the 1985 season. At that point, Jerry Rice had to step up.

Let this point not be forgotten - Randy Moss is the best receiver in the game today, and if he continues his production, will be remembered that way, and will carry a team to the Super Bowl in his back.

But if I had to pick a receiver who most reminds me of the current greatest receiver in the league, Jerry Rice, it would be Nate Burleson.

He has the elusiveness, he racks up the YAC, he can run all the routes - and he had great teachers. An advantage he has over Rice is his leaping ability - it'll be interesting to see if Nate can take balls away from defenders this year, he's never had to make the 'jump ball' catches. I question his ability to get open deep and split Cover 2 zones (we'll find out if he can by the end of Week 1), and his hands concern me at times. But he will step up, and by the end of the year, everyone will know his name.

Stat Predictions: 75-85 catches, 1350-1500 yards, 12-14 touchdowns.

Skol Vikes/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

Re: Some rare optimism/bold predictions from yours truly.

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    The Vikings will win no less than 11 games.

Why?

A few reasons:

1) Daunte will step up.

-Players play better when they have something to prove. They play smarter, harder, and with a mean streak. Culpepper will come out firing to prove that he does not need Randy Moss to put up historic numbers.

Stat Predictions: 4300 yards, 28-32 touchdowns, 12-16 INTs.

2) Ted Cottrell will unleash the dogs.

-With Fred Smoot and Darren Sharper back in coverage, Ted Cottrell will have a lot more leeway in loosing the dogs. I think especially effective will be Dontarrious Thomas blitzing from the weak side. He has the strength and speed to get to the quarterback before tight ends can pick him up. I also think Antoine Winfield is going to step up even more this year, because teams may choose to throw at him rather than Smoot, because for some reason there's this popular but incorrect belief that Fred Smoot is a better cover corner. No. But...

Stat Predictions: The Vikings will crack the top eight in defense. Even bolder prediction: They will lead the league in takeaways again - Pat and Kevin demanding double teams will free Udeze and James coming in from the sides, and force quarterbacks to throw erratic passes or take sacks.

3) My boldest prediction: Nate Burleson will step up.

- Dwight Clark's production tailed off near the end of the 1985 season. At that point, Jerry Rice had to step up.

Let this point not be forgotten - Randy Moss is the best receiver in the game today, and if he continues his production, will be remembered that way, and will carry a team to the Super Bowl in his back.

But if I had to pick a receiver who most reminds me of the current greatest receiver in the league, Jerry Rice, it would be Nate Burleson.

He has the elusiveness, he racks up the YAC, he can run all the routes - and he had great teachers. An advantage he has over Rice is his leaping ability - it'll be interesting to see if Nate can take balls away from defenders this year, he's never had to make the 'jump ball' catches. I question his ability to get open deep and split Cover 2 zones (we'll find out if he can by the end of Week 1), and his hands concern me at times. But he will step up, and by the end of the year, everyone will know his name.

Stat Predictions: 75-85 catches, 1350-1500 yards, 12-14 touchdowns.

Skol Vikes/
    interesting points 8404 you really put reasons behind these things that we have been saying this offseason. :grin:

Go vikes!!

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

good job RandyMoss8404 finally a post i like lol . i also feel the same about burleson and rice. they do play similar. but burlseon is blossoming faster then rice did at this point in his career. i hope he plays his whole career like rice.

"magicci" wrote:
    good job RandyMoss8404 finally a post i like lol . i also feel the same about burleson and rice. they do play similar. but burlseon is blossoming faster then rice did at this point in his career. i hope he plays his whole career like rice.
    Hate to immediately burst your bubble with negativity, but I need to add two negative points, or at least blurry points:

3a) How much Nate Burleson steps up will determine how well we run the football.

The Minnesota Vikings have had FIVE DIFFERENT STARTING RUNNING backs since 1998, and still averaged 4.9 yards per carry. Why? Randy Moss took the safety out of the box, and in fact, often shifted linebackers toward the strong side to jam him at the line. If Nate can't demand that much attention - please note, we DID have Jimmy Kleinsasser during most of those years - we will see our YPC drop.

3b) Nate actually had a worse sophomore season than Jerry Rice, who had 86/1500/10 or so, I think

Edit: But one more good point

3c) SEVENTY FOUR PERCENT of Nate's catches were for first downs.
    - That's 50 out of 68. That's sick. This means that if you threw the ball to Nate 10 times in the game, 7 times moved the chains.

For comparison - in Randy's breakout 111/1600/17 season, he caught sixty-eight percent of his passes for first downs. Terrell Owens last year (77/1200/14) caught only sixty-six percent of his passes for first downs.

on moss' breakout season is that his rookie year? and i think when Troy plays, opposing defenses will play with more of a cushion on him. im not saying he will get double teams right away but when he gets more polished he will put that speed to use.

No, I was referring to Moss' 2003 season.

And I think Troy Williamson is a few drops from becoming Troy "Demetrius Underwood" Williamson but that's me

yea i hope troy gets that cathing problem fixed. im happy from what i hear about him being a faster version of burlseon.

TroyWilliamson is offline Starter

I think that his hands are fine and he will do fine in his rookie year I'm just hoping that he gets a decent amount of playing time.

With all due respect, 'thinking' his hands are fine doesn't make them fine. I 'thought' we'd never trade Randy Moss, and I 'thought' wrong.

i think everyone thought that we would never trade moss.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast