Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    molineviking is offline Asst. Coach

Some random numbers

When you're a stat whore like myself you've got to share some of the (A lot of the time meaningless) numbers found here and there.

All the talk of our weak schedule is getting old, Sure we've played the Lions twice, Browns, and Rams, By the way take out those three teams and our opponents are 63-54-(not bad considering the overall mediocrity of the league this year) Heres the kicker, There are seven teams with 9 or more wins, Guess who has the most wins against those elite seven? Well if you said The Vikings you'd be right.

We have 3 wins, (GB 2x, Cincy 1), Denver, Pittsburgh, and believe it or not Oakland have 2, Yeah I know this means whatever you want it too, But for the sake of argument when the "Experts" start listing our faults-This is usually the first thing that comes up, Along with Favre falling apart-Because no QB is allowed to have a bad game after starting 10-1, (Apparently the media has blinders on when Payton throws 3 INT's-He must be falling apart right??)

Yesterday was our 36th game in a row not giving up 100yds to an opposing RB.

The Vikings are the only team with a 1,000yd rusher and 1,000 Receiver
    We are 3rd in 3rd down conversion %
    Still 1st in sacks
    5th in TOP
    2nd in pts
    4th in run D

Like I mentioned, These are just numbers, Plenty of times teams with the worse numbers win the game, Still though it's some nice stats to show strengths and weaknesses.
    Even if the Vikings lose, I can still find happiness in Bears, and Packer losses.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Some random numbers

You just made me feel good. Nice post.

marstc09 wrote:
    You just made me feel good. Nice post.
    Glad I could help
    Even if the Vikings lose, I can still find happiness in Bears, and Packer losses.

Krumb is offline Pro-Bowler

I like it , also the only two teams the Vikings have lost to this year we're the Superbowl teams from last year.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Great post, brother!
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

WOW... you have WAY too much time on your hands Mo'

Johnson14 wrote:
    WOW... you have WAY too much time on your hands Mo'
    I know, Believe it or not, I am dying to go back to work, Being laid off was ok for a couple weeks, Well a month was fine, Did all the crap around the house I'd put off for months.

Cleaned out the back corner of the basement (The part that looks like it hasn't changed since the dark ages) Cleaned out gutters, Planted Daffodil and Tulip bulbs, Sexually harassed my neighbor across the street-Like you know who I'm talking about (The one with enormous boobs) helped the old man next door build a retaining wall, Now I'm so bored, I need to go back to work.

I wake up now and get on here first thing, Around 6:30-Don't login till 8:30 or so, don't want to look like I've got nothing going on in my life Watch Mike and Mike, open up 3-4 Sports tabs to find stuff that applies to here, This place is like heroin, First hits free, Then you're hooked-Lol

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

molineviking wrote:
    Sexually harassed my neighbor across the street-Like you know who I'm talking about (The one with enormous boobs)
    Pics or it didn't happen.

molineviking wrote:
    I wake up now and get on here first thing, Around 6:30-Don't login till 8:30 or so, don't want to look like I've got nothing going on in my life Watch Mike and Mike, open up 3-4 Sports tabs to find stuff that applies to here, This place is like heroin, First hits free, Then you're hooked
    Sports radio can be addictive. Once I start listening to a show, I always seem to find ways to keep driving around so I can listen to all the opinions.
    We're bringing purple back.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Looks like someone reads Purplepride.org B)

Where Gonzo Laughs At the "Minnesota Hasn't Played Anyone" Fallacy

by Gonzo form the Daily Norseman on Dec 16, 2009 7:34 AM CST in Vikings 2009 Season
    If you take a look at the NFL standings, you'll see that there are seven teams that have won at least nine games through the first 14 weeks of the year. . .the New Orleans Saints (13-0), the Indianapolis Colts (13-0), the Vikings (11-2), the San Diego Chargers (10-3), the Cincinnati Bengals (9-4), the Philadelphia Eagles (9-4), and the Green Bay Packers (9-4).

The Vikings have played three games against the teams in that group, two against the Packers and last week against the Bengals. They're 3-0 in those games. How have the rest of the teams on that list done against that group?

New Orleans: 1-0 (defeated a McNabb-less Eagle team in Week 2)
    Indianapolis: 0-0 (haven't played a team yet that currently has at least 9 wins)
    San Diego: 1-0 (defeated Philadelphia in Week 10)
    Cincinnati: 1-1 (beat Green Bay in Week 2, lost to Minnesota in Week 14)
    Philadelphia: 0-2 (lost to New Orleans in Week 2, lost to San Diego in Week 10)
    Green Bay: 0-3 (lost twice to Minnesota, lost to Cincinnati in Week 2)
    http://www.dailynorseman.com/2009/12/16/1202934/where-gonzo-laughs-at-the?ref=yahoo

XTAP59 is offline Coordinator

molineviking wrote:
    When you're a stat whore like myself you've got to share some of the (A lot of the time meaningless) numbers found here and there.

All the talk of our weak schedule is getting old, Sure we've played the Lions twice, Browns, and Rams, By the way take out those three teams and our opponents are 63-54-(not bad considering the overall mediocrity of the league this year) Heres the kicker, There are seven teams with 9 or more wins, Guess who has the most wins against those elite seven? Well if you said The Vikings you'd be right.

We have 3 wins, (GB 2x, Cincy 1), Denver, Pittsburgh, and believe it or not Oakland have 2, Yeah I know this means whatever you want it too, But for the sake of argument when the "Experts" start listing our faults-This is usually the first thing that comes up, Along with Favre falling apart-Because no QB is allowed to have a bad game after starting 10-1, (Apparently the media has blinders on when Payton throws 3 INT's-He must be falling apart right??)

Yesterday was our 36th game in a row not giving up 100yds to an opposing RB.

The Vikings are the only team with a 1,000yd rusher and 1,000 Receiver
    We are 3rd in 3rd down conversion %
    Still 1st in sacks
    5th in TOP
    2nd in pts
    4th in run D

Like I mentioned, These are just numbers, Plenty of times teams with the worse numbers win the game, Still though it's some nice stats to show strengths and weaknesses.
    I know they are just numbers, just stats, but on the other side of that coin, I have these concerns. The Vikings have only won four games against teams with winning records. The Packers twice, the Bengals, and the Ravens, who are just one game over 500. The rest of the wins were against:
    Cleveland 2-11
    Detroit 2-11
    49ers 6-7
    Rams 1-12
    Detroit 2-11
    Seattle 5-8
    Chicago 5-8

That's a combined record of 23-68 with those teams.
    The teams with a winning record we beat were a combined 34-18 and the two teams we lost to were a combined 14-12

Add them all up and they are 71-98. Well under a .500 average winning percentage.

As Molineviking pointed out in an earlier post, the other top teams, the Saints and Colts opposing records did not fare too well either.

I just hope when the playoffs begin, the Vikings are battle tested enough to fare better than they did than last year against the Eagles in the wildcard game.

I know, we now have Favre instead of Jackson and Harvin added, Loadholt, and a healthy Rice. Just pointing out the other side of the coin and airing my concerns.

LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL
    http://lotgk.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast