Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Some quick notes regarding tonight's game

Some facts and stats, of course slanted towards a Vikings win...

The weather...brutal. Today's high in Chicago will be 29 degrees, tonight's low 13. Winds will be WNW at 25-35 MPH...typical December Chicago weather in the Windy City. Wouldn't seem to favor the passing game for either squad.

Jay Cutler has failed to throw for 200 or more yards in the past five games, and broke 158 yards in only one of those five. In those five games, Cutler has 5 TD passes and 8 interceptions, and has been sacked 12 times.

Bears running game has been up and down. In nine of 14 games, the Bears have had 86 or fewer rushing yards. However, 3 of the 5 games that they have exceeded 86 yards have come in the last 5 games. This includes 126 yards vs the Eagles and 122 yards against the Ravens. However, the Bears have failed to break 45 rushing yards four times, and one of those was against the Vikings. Overall, the Bears are averaging 3.9 yards per carry.

Defensively, the Bears run defense is nothing special. Currently, they are ranked 26th in the NFL, allowing 128.5 yards per game and a 4.4 ypc average. Now, while Adrian Peterson did not gash the Bears at the Metrodome, as a team the Vikings ran for 159 yards against the Bears.

The Bears also have some injury issues to deal with. DE Adewale Ogunleye will be out. Starting safeties Kevin Payne (doubtful-ankle) and Al Afalava (questionable-knee) might both be on the sidelines. WR Devin Hester (questionable-calf) and DE Gaines Adams (questionable-ankle) might also be limited. Even the Bears punter Brad Maynard (questionable-groin) might be less effective because of injury.

With the cold, windy conditions, it would seem to indicate that this will be a smash-mouth, pound it on the ground kind of game. Given the strength of the Vikings defense defending the run, and the Vikings general strength in running the ball, especially against the Bears (no fewer than 136 in any game since AD came on the scene), the Vikings would appear to be in decent shape to win this one tonight.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:Some quick notes regarding tonight's game

Excellent post my friend.

Defensively, the Bears run defense is nothing special. Currently, they are ranked 26th in the NFL, allowing 128.5 yards per game and a 4.4 ypc average. Now, while Adrian Peterson did not gash the Bears at the Metrodome, as a team the Vikings ran for 159 yards against the Bears.
    No reason (or excuses) for AD not having a great game tonight.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

With the wind chill it will be 0 to ten below.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

It is COLD here. Its windy, the air has a horrible bite to it, and I'm about 30 minutes from the lake. Run, run, run... thats the key to this game. Don't get away from the run when it doesn't work right away, because we know they are expecting it...

triedandtruevikesfan wrote:
    It is COLD here. Its windy, the air has a horrible bite to it, and I'm about 30 minutes from the lake. Run, run, run... thats the key to this game. Don't get away from the run when it doesn't work right away, because we know they are expecting it...
    You are wise beyond your years young lady.

Lets hope the Vikes have a clue and pound the ball regardless.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Marrdro wrote:
    triedandtruevikesfan wrote:
    You are wise beyond your years young lady.

Lets hope the Vikes have a clue and pound the ball regardless.
    I'm pulling for Jay's 'primetime evening color blindness' to help use out and for him to add to his 12 picks in the time slot....hope this outweighs the last two Vikings stumbles in their primetime outings.

molineviking is offline Asst. Coach

I am feeling pretty confident about tonight, (Then again I was confident we'd win the recent losses also) Them getting home field advantage is about the only thing they have in their favor IMO.

I think the whole cold weather factor is a bit overstated-We BOTH have to play in it, And last time I checked Favre played 16 years in a latitude farther North than Chicago (And is 13-3 against the Bears), Now if the Bears were a good team maybe we could expect them to have some advantage-But They suck-which could be an understatement.

We out gained them 537yds-169, 41 min to 19, etc. last game. The Bears are missing some key players, No Ogunleye, Pace, possibly Hester, A first year starter will taking on Allen, Cutler is a INT machine, Last but not least-I think we will play with some sense of urgency to rebound from the last 2/3 weeks.

Is it 7:00 yet????
    Even if the Vikings lose, I can still find happiness in Bears, and Packer losses.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Here's the forcast for tonight from weather.com:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/events/nfl/gameforecast/60605?eventid=305017&from=NFL_teamsched

Partly Cloudy
    Temperature: 24F
    Feels like: 10F
    Probability of precip: 20%
    Wind Impact: MEDIUM
    NW at 19.0

Fortunately, my seats for tonight are in the southwest corner, so I should be protected from the wind, at least a little bit.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Hang on to the rock AD (and Chester), Chicago will be coming hard after it. Also look for special teams and field position to play a big part in this game. Good time for a few more forced fumbles from our D.

It will be easy to defend the field deep (especially with the winds), don't expect many shots downfield. Then again, I think both Cutler and Favre will have a hard time holding up if they see something they like.

josdin00 wrote:
    Here's the forcast for tonight from weather.com:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/events/nfl/gameforecast/60605?eventid=305017&from=NFL_teamsched

Partly Cloudy
    Temperature: 24F
    Feels like: 10F
    Probability of precip: 20%
    Wind Impact: MEDIUM
    NW at 19.0

Fortunately, my seats for tonight are in the southwest corner, so I should be protected from the wind, at least a little bit.
    Heres hoping that you cheer so loud tonight that your so horse you can't type tomorrow.

Enjoy the game my friend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast