Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Some guidelines for T-Jack

Here's one: Guidline I mean: Act like Moon. Watched the 1994 game between the 'Vikes and chicago last night. Ya know, where Carter gets the 65 yd td to win it in OT? I was yelling at the tv when Moon was taking sacks. Looked just like Jackson. I was getting all worked up. yelling at the TV while the wife was trying to sleep. I was pissed as hell when #46 let thru a guy to slam Moon. 46 was wide. Moon was loking downfield. The game is 14 years gone and I'm screaming at the tv.Weird. I'm on the bandwagon. Jackson will utilize BB to his advantage.
    Tuco the world.....

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"DustinDupont" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "DustinDupont" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    Some guidelines for Tarvaris:

a. 'Be like Eli': you are just one player among 11. No need to win it all on your own...
    b. No more throwing off your back foot. Period ! You are not Favre !
    :P
    c. Learn to throw the slant pass
    d. Learn to read defenses better
    e. Stop panicking
    f. Relax
    when did Tarvaris ever try to win the game on his own???

and he knows how to make the slant passes

and it seems every post u make about tjack u just rip him... i guess just keep doing what u do
    When our running game was shut down against the Bears and Washington late in the season he forced a lot of bad passes into coverage because he was pressing and likely felt the need to generate something that wasn't there.
    i still dont think he tried winning the game on his own...
    I agree....he throws a nice slant...as good as anyone in the game right now.

But here is one that everyone forgot:
    NO JUMP PASSES!!!!!
    >
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "DustinDupont" wrote:

Based on what?

His decision making was a classic example of forcing passes rather than taking what the defense gives you.
    I think these types of things are expected from any young QB. While some of Tarvaris wows have looked very eratic its no different then any other young QB devoloping. Not to mention the lack of continuety and production at the WR position.

The one game I felt like Tarvaris stepped up big and decided to take the game into his own hands was the Broncos game. The game that we absolutly had to win to make it in, he stepped up big and provided a comback. In overtime the offensive line failed to protect Tarvaris, he was sacked from behind and fumbled, this most likely would have never been the case if Troy Williamson would have did his job.

I'm extremely exited to have Tarvaris as our QB and look foward to his first contract extention and watching all the fans jumping to other side of wagon.
    Thank God that Troy Williamson is finally gone, VikingsT(roy)w(illiamson)!
    LOL
    :P
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

"Jereamiah" wrote:
    Here's one: Guidline I mean: Act like Moon. Watched the 1994 game between the 'Vikes and chicago last night. Ya know, where Carter gets the 65 yd td to win it in OT? I was yelling at the tv when Moon was taking sacks. Looked just like Jackson. I was getting all worked up. yelling at the TV while the wife was trying to sleep. I was pissed as hell when #46 let thru a guy to slam Moon. 46 was wide. Moon was loking downfield. The game is 14 years gone and I'm screaming at the tv.Weird. I'm on the bandwagon. Jackson will utilize BB to his advantage.
    Is i can remember Tjack faught off a bunch of sacks last year.... its not only the QB if he gets sacked, its on the wide outs and O-line too...

And Tjack got sacked once every 15 Pass Attempts... both brooks and
    holcomb got sacked twice every 15 pass attempts just something to look at

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

I just don't buy the idea in the modern NFL that teams develop QBs over a year or more. The reality is that they throw them in and if they don't work out, they eject them and reload with a new QB. There are countless examples of this. The good ones swim right away (Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, etc.), the bad ones sink (Ryan Leaf, McNown, etc.). Or, the bad ones become backups.

The Vikings are one of very few teams who develop a rookie QB and start him over a year or more...

Look at the Cardinals. Leinart came in and was really decent right out of the box. He didn't need 23 games to "develop". How bout Alex Smith ? how bout Cutler ? Does Cutler suck ? (No.). Didn't Carson Palmer start right away and is great ?

OR... they let the guy ride the bench for a season (Brady Quinn, Philip Rivers), and watch.

Very, very few teams are willing to throw rookie in and then let him be bad to mediocre for a full season. To me there is a huge difference between a Ben Roethlisberger or Carson Palmer and Tarvaris (could it be that Palmer went to a MAJOR college school and not I-AA ??). Both started as rookies and they are MILES apart in terms of quality.

If I am wrong, please convince me...

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

"StillPurple" wrote:
    I just don't buy the idea in the modern NFL that teams develop QBs over a year or more. The reality is that they throw them in and if they don't work out, they eject them and reload with a new QB. There are countless examples of this. The good ones swim right away (Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, etc.), the bad ones sink (Ryan Leaf, McNown, etc.). Or, the bad ones become backups.

The Vikings are one of very few teams who develop a rookie QB and start him over a year or more...

Look at the Cardinals. Leinart came in and was really decent right out of the box. He didn't need 23 games to "develop". How bout Alex Smith ? how bout Cutler ? Does Cutler suck ? (No.)

OR... they let the guy ride the bench for a season (Brady Quinn, Philip Rivers), and watch.

Very, very few teams are willing to throw rookie in and then let him be bad to mediocre for a full season. To me there is a huge difference between a Ben Roethlisberger and Tarvaris. Both started as rookies and they are MILES apart in terms of quality.

First of all Tjack was a really raw when we drafted him... and he started 2 games his rookie year, Ben Roethlisberger started 13 his rookie year.... and Tjack was a second round pick not the 11th pick overall like Roethlisberger... so compare him with Roethlisberger when he has had 4 full seasons as the starter and Tjack has started 14 games...Ben also had Hines Ward who he could count on to get open so i dont think that is a fair comparison

Leinart i think was the 11th pick in the draft, and when he came in he played good but he also had Boldin and Fitzgerald to throw to...who did tjack have to throw to? Bobby Wade was are best reciever... and last year before Leinart got hurt he was getting benched for warner every now and then...

Alex smith was the number one pick overall, and i would rather have Tjack than him. Smith had a ok second year but then just sucked last year before getting hurt... and he might not even start this year... Shaun Hill the Vikings third stringer from years back might take his spot...

Cutler, i think was the 13 player taken the same year as Tarvaris.... and i actually wanted the vikings to get him... he has been really good but he hasnt taken his team to the playoffs yet...

Groosman was a first round pick and got hurt his second and third year so within 3 years he started 7 games, so his forth year he started everygame and didnt play good, then his fifth year after about half the season he was benched....

Joey Harrington was given 55 starts in Detroit before being cut

Jp losman was given 31 starts in buffalo before Edwards took his spot....

David Carr was given 5 years as the texans starter before being cut....

Byron Leftwich was given four years is the starter in jacksonville... before being cut....

so there have been plenty of teams that let the qb develop for more than a year or two, to see what they can do, must of the other teams have a young qb there developing or have a qb...

so i think its ridiculous to say good bye to your starting qb after one year, and seems most NFL team also think that

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

"StillPurple" wrote:

Look at the Cardinals. Leinart came in and was really decent right out of the box. He didn't need 23 games to "develop". How bout Alex Smith ? how bout Cutler ? Does Cutler suck ? (No.). Didn't Carson Palmer start right away and is great ?

Very, very few teams are willing to throw rookie in and then let him be bad to mediocre for a full season. To me there is a huge difference between a Ben Roethlisberger or Carson Palmer and Tarvaris (could it be that Palmer went to a MAJOR college school and not I-AA ??). Both started as rookies and they are MILES apart in terms of quality.

This is the most talking-out-of-the-jiggly butt post I have seen in a loooong time.
    If your point was, "Rookie QBs should sit, unless you have a phenom QB", then you would be ok.
    But you started talking out of emotion and rambled from there.

First of all, go check Peyton's rookie stats and record.
    He didn't seem to get "ejected".

Second of all Leinart has played in one more game than TJack 17 to 16. Here are a few career stats for you. For poohies and Giggles I went back and Added Peyton Manning 1st Year (16games)
    Completion %
    Leinart 56
    TJack 58
    Manning 56.7

INTs
    Leinart 16
    TJack 16
    Manning 28

TDs
    Leinart 13 (+2 rushing)
    TJack 11

(+4 rushing)
    Manning 26
    (0 rushing)

Passer Rating
    Leinart 71.2
    TJack 69
    Manning 71.2

Now I am sure you could agree that Leinart has had some pretty good receiving talent around him compared to TJack to help Mr. Hollywood "develop".

As far as Alex smith is concerned ... I am not sure who are you comparing him to, cuz he sucks.

Cutler came into a very controlled situation and offense that has put up rediculous rushing numbers despite having mediocre RB talent.
    You don't get put into a better situation than that.

Carson Palmer sat behind Kitna for a full year too.

As far as Quinn goes... He didn't ride the pine for development.
    The Jackhole didn't get into camp in time to learn the offense.
    So he didn't get a shot.
    Andersen took over from there, and they were definitely not gonna throw him in the lineup because: A. Andersen was kickin jiggly butt and winning games and B. Quinn's contract was all based off escalators. So they didn't have to pay him pooh for riding the pine.

Big Ben is the ONLY rookie that comes to my mind that had better than a mediocre season.

Please convince me if I'm wrong...

edit: Manning had 26 TDs not 28 his first year.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"DustinDupont" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "DustinDupont" wrote:

Based on what?

His decision making was a classic example of forcing passes rather than taking what the defense gives you.
    so based on that, he tried winning the games on his own?
    That's one way of putting it, yes.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

After 2008, there should be no more argument on whether TJ is the guy or not. It should be damned clear. Either he is or he isn't.

Right now if you ask me, he is not the guy, but I still don't have enough to quell those who say, "He wasn't good but he will be next year."

If TJ has another year like last year, and don't give me that 8-4 record bull, we all saw his play on the field, he is not the guy. He has to take another step forward if he wants to be the long-term starter for this team.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"V" wrote:
    After 2008, there should be no more argument on whether TJ is the guy or not. It should be damned clear. Either he is or he isn't.

Right now if you ask me, he is not the guy, but I still don't have enough to quell those who say, "He wasn't good but he will be next year."

If TJ has another year like last year, and don't give me that 8-4 record bull, we all saw his play on the field, he is not the guy. He has to take another step forward if he wants to be the long-term starter for this team.
    I love to use the 8-4 reference, especailly considering the other QB's went 0-4. He's not the only one that has to take a step foward, the way I see it, it will come down to everyone doing there jobs and building confidence as a whole on offense. We need better QB play, WR play, Oline Play, our RB's can't be fumbling the ball in such critical times, and our playcalling must improve. If everyone can step up to plate then we're talking business. It won't just be up to Tarvaris but he will be a big part of it, hopefully Berrian can be the deap threat we need and Rice can stay healthy. This will improve Tarvaris's confidence and we will begin to see the player he was meant to be.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast