Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Some guidelines for T-Jack

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "DustinDupont" wrote:
    "vikes2456" wrote:
    [quote author=BBQ Platypus link=topic=43875.msg757985#msg757985 date=1208026745]
    [quote author=singersp link=topic=43875.msg757979#msg757979 date=1208026549]
    [quote author=jessejames09 link=topic=43875.msg757930#msg757930 date=1208020700]
    [quote author=singersp link=topic=43875.msg757864#msg757864 date=1208006651]
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=43875.msg757840#msg757840 date=1207998846]
    [quote author=DustinDupont link=topic=43875.msg757821#msg757821 date=1207979876]
    you dont think the O-line was inconsistent?
    gol 'darnit, should have read one more post.
    ;D

I lay most of the blame for the OL play on the guy who gives them thier blocking assignments (pre-snap) and that is the C on our team.

I am gonna watch the OL with interest this year and see who does that when Mozes is in at C.
    I expect those duties to fall to maybe Hutch for a spell if Birk doesn't play this year.
    Oh, I see now. When McKInnie gets beat by a pass rusher or Cook gets "owned" by his man getting through the line, it's Birks fault they can't block them.
    He forgot to give them the 'Don't let them just run by you' signal.
    Marr likes to blame Birk & says he hands out the wrong assignments & makes the wrong reads, yet he doesn't take the time to think that perhaps Birk does hand out the right assignments & the newbies players are the ones that miss their assignments or don't fully know them yet.

I find it hard to believe that after 9 years in the league all of a sudden Birk has forgotten the defensive formations he sees.

You don't see veterans like Hutch missing their assignments like you do Cook et al, & he's hearing the same calls from Birk that the others are.
    Exactly - we aren't seeing consistency when it comes to crappiness - it emanates chiefly from our left and right tackles.
    That strikes me as having more to do with the tackles than it does the center.
    [/quote]

The reason why it strikes you that way is because that is what is actually happening. No matter how much marr wants it to be the other way. I sure hope we see some more improvement out of Cook this year because last year he basically played like a backup who happened to have the starting role...
    [/quote]

i was just saying the vikes o-line was inconsistent as a whole.... i would say there was only one guy consistent on the line and that was Hutch
    [/quote]
    I blame McKinnie and Cook just as much as I do Birk.
    You guys just seem to miss those posts and piss and moan when I pick on your sacred cow.......

I try to stay away from comments on McKinnie as my disdain for him is so bad that I can't make a honest assesment of him any more.
    Suffice it to say, I hope his lame jiggly butt is gone this year.

Cook was a collegiate Center that was thrown to the wolves by the coaching staff.
    I do overlook some of his gaffs for just that reason.
    Unlike some of you yutz's I know that he will only get better.
    Mckinnie and Birk won't.

I am a huge Herrera fan and believe our right side played better when he was tagged as the starter.

As for our boy Birk, he got owned just as bad as our two tackles did last year.
    Hard to accept, but he did.
    Additionally, if you guys had half a clue and watched for specific things (like the last offensive play of the Denver game) you would see our OL shifting away from the blitz instead of to it.

I wonder who you blame for that?

How about the times we say ole Matty boy shift to help out Hutch (Hutch for goodness sake) leaving the RG all alone?

Gimme a break.
    Again, I blame them all.
    You guys just refuse to lay any blame at the feet of your sacred cow cause he is a MN boy from birth.

[/quote]

I don't refuse to lay blame on him, when he gets owned on the line, that's Birk's fault & no one else's, but when Cook gets owned on the line, I blame Cook & not Birk. You like to shift the blame on Birk's shoulders for other O-Line, sans McKinnie, faults that aren't necessarily his for the blame.

I must have missed your posts were you laid blame on Cook or Herrera. I remember a single post where you blamed Cook for something & that is all.

My reply to your post was based on your comment;

I lay most of the blame for the OL play on the guy who gives them thier blocking assignments (pre-snap) and that is the C on our team.
    I know Cook was a collegiate center that was thrown to the wolves by the coaching staff. You know me, I was the one screaming last off-season as well
    as this year to sign some players to help on the line & the only ones they even considered were players who went undrafted.

Birk by no means is a sacred cow to me. I defend most of my boys in purple when I see that IMO, they are wrongly blamed for something. Granted some plays on the line you can mention as Birk's fault, but there are hundreds of plays each year & you always choose to single out the negative ones because that's what you look for in a play.

How about the times when AD is running through the line & Birk is out in front of him blocking. How about the times when a WR or TE catches the ball & he gets additional yardage because Birk was down field making a key block?

I rarely ever hear you talk about his good plays.
    [/quote]
    Go back and read my end of game rants. If he did good I gave him props.
    If he did bad, I got on him, just like I did the rest of the line.

Problem is there wasn't many of those times when he was out in front of AD blocking.
    In most cases it was a gaurd and not our C. Again, a failing on Birk or the scheme?
    I dont' know but I know it wasn't Matt.
    [/quote]

The fact is, I may not have read all your kudo's post from the game rant threads. By the time I get home from the game, those threads are always several pages long & I don't have time to read them all.

Generally, I skim them & look for certain members posts that I know will have worthwhile opinions & just read those.

I usually have a hard decision to make, post news or read every post. Generally speaking articles will win every time.

One thing I am certain of, it hurts fans such as you & I to watch a player we like go into the waning years of his career & lose some of his once stellar performances that we as fans used to rely on.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    No, marr, I understand that well. I also understand that while he can make the calls, the players are the ones who have to understand those calls and make the necessary block. And while I do like Birk, I have been as critical of him as the rest of the line. And I think it is safe to say I have been a critic of the line play as long and as vocally as anybody except possibly Singer.
    I know/knew you knew that and that is why I was so suprised by your post.

So is Birk a coach or a player? It seems to me it is the job of the line coach to teach the linemen who to block in each situation and the players responsibility to know the blocking assignments for each play and each defense. My understanding of the center's responsibility to the rest of the line is to point out changes in the defensive alignment that the line would have to adjust to but I fail to see how Birk would be able to account for finding the player each lineman has to block and how to block them.

If that is incorrect and Birk does need to coach each lineman on every play then he is underpaid and should hold out for a cut in the coaching staff pay.
    Maybe I got a bit testy over this but it just chapped my ass a bit.

So when you say he gives them their blocking assignments, really what you are saying, and something that I agree with is that Birk has the responsibility to Change or to clarify the assignment at the line if the defense necessitates it. What I am saying is I don't see the problem with the lines being due to his calls or it would impact all 5 guys and not 2-3. So with that established I put the responsibility on the coaches.
    If you would have put it that way instead of the way you did in your first post, then I would have said something along the lines of "Excelllent Post" instead of getting all worked up.

My apologies for getting so testy.

Call it a gift

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    No, marr, I understand that well. I also understand that while he can make the calls, the players are the ones who have to understand those calls and make the necessary block. And while I do like Birk, I have been as critical of him as the rest of the line. And I think it is safe to say I have been a critic of the line play as long and as vocally as anybody except possibly Singer.
    I know/knew you knew that and that is why I was so suprised by your post.

So is Birk a coach or a player? It seems to me it is the job of the line coach to teach the linemen who to block in each situation and the players responsibility to know the blocking assignments for each play and each defense. My understanding of the center's responsibility to the rest of the line is to point out changes in the defensive alignment that the line would have to adjust to but I fail to see how Birk would be able to account for finding the player each lineman has to block and how to block them.

If that is incorrect and Birk does need to coach each lineman on every play then he is underpaid and should hold out for a cut in the coaching staff pay.
    Maybe I got a bit testy over this but it just chapped my jiggly butt a bit.

So when you say he gives them their blocking assignments, really what you are saying, and something that I agree with is that Birk has the responsibility to Change or to clarify the assignment at the line if the defense necessitates it. What I am saying is I don't see the problem with the lines being due to his calls or it would impact all 5 guys and not 2-3. So with that established I put the responsibility on the coaches.
    If you would have put it that way instead of the way you did in your first post, then I would have said something along the lines of "Excelllent Post" instead of getting all worked up.

My apologies for getting so testy.

Call it a gift

You were right my friend.
    Intant classic.
    Thanks.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Back to the original subject. Here are my guidelines for him:

-Tell your line to do it's job
    -Make the right calls at the line
    -Don't fumble the ball
    -Throw the ball to the open guy. Kick him in the [s]balls[/s] head if he drops it
    -No jump passes.

;D

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

-Don't fumble the ball
    -Throw the ball to the open guy. Kick him in the [s]balls[/s] head if he drops it
    -No jump passes.

;D

-and follow the suggestions of all on PP.O

by the way guys. if mckinnie gets to play, this will be the o-lines third year together. that in and of itself will make them much improved.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

-Don't fumble the ball
    -No jump passes.

;D

dont forget use your legs too

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

sufuvike93 is offline Rookie

"marshallvike" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

-Don't fumble the ball
    -No jump passes.

;D
    -Give the ball to AD and then go long to BB and Sidney

by the way guys. if mckinnie gets to play, this will be the o-lines third year together. that in and of itself will make them much improved.
    For God so loved the Vikings he gave us PURPLE JESUS

"marshallvike" wrote:

-Give the ball to AD and then go long to BB and Sidney

This is not the O-lines 3rd year together. Herrera only started last year & Cook has been maybe the starter for a little over a year.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    The fact is, I may not have read all your kudo's post from the game rant threads. By the time I get home from the game, those threads are always several pages long & I don't have time to read them all.

Generally, I skim them & look for certain members posts that I know will have worthwhile opinions & just read those.

I usually have a hard decision to make, post news or read every post. Generally speaking articles will win every time.

One thing I am certain of, it hurts fans such as you & I to watch a player we like go into the waning years of his career & lose some of his once stellar performances that we as fans used to rely on.
    Well crap.
    That eliminates most of my post right there.

Actually, I do the same thing.
    By the time I get page, I never have time to read all of the post game observations.
    I usually pick up on the last few pages and then try and contribute...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Well crap.
    That eliminates most of my post right there

Actually, I do the same thing.
    By the time I get page, I never have time to read all of the post game observations.
    I usually pick up on the last few pages and then try and contribute...
    Nope. Yours & Marrdro's are just two of the members posts I always value & read.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast