Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    twiztedfait is offline Starter

Re: Some great photo's of the Vikes through-out their history

Awsome Seing that reminded me that I have a matt Blair autographed photo. I won it because I aced a D.A.R.E test in 6th grade before we even took the class. He spoke at the graduation and i believe most of the local news stations were there.

Thanks for the link and now I need to find that photo and get a frame for it.

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

Wow. Yeah, great pictures! Nice find.
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Some great photo's of the Vikes through-out their histor

Awesome pictures. I love the one of the old met:

Everybody talks about the Met with fond memories (even me)... but man I forgot how much those seats and sightlines sucked for football! Look at how far away from the field you were in some of those seats (If you aren't familiar with the old met, if I'm not mistaken this pic was taken from behind "first base".

The Old Met was great for baseball and sucked for football. The Metrodome is great for football and sucks for baseball. Hmmm, now why do we want a new stadium for both the Vikings and the Twins? :grin:
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    Thanx for sharing.

The only ones pictured that I don't remember getting to watch play, is Hugh McElhenny & Paul Flately.
    These guys were before my time, but I have read about both of them.

Paul Faltely was a receiver for the Vikes, he was a good player and made the probowl once, If I remember right he played for the Vikes for 5 years and then went to Atlanta for a few years.

McElhenny was before my time, but he was a star in the NFL for a lot of years. He came to the Vikes their 1st year but was only here for 2 seasons.

Here is an article about him.

Hugh McElhenny was to pro football in the 1950s and early 1960s what Elvis Presley was to rock and roll. Known as “The King” (McElhenny that is), he had it all. He was an artist whose electrifying moves left opponents and observers spellbound.

McElhenny, a University of Washington All-America halfback, began his football career by rewriting the Pacific Coast Conference’s record book. A first-round draft choice of the San Francisco 49ers in 1952, Hugh made an immediate impression as a rookie leaving sportswriters groping for new superlatives to describe his exciting style of play. He recorded the season’s longest run from scrimmage (89 yards), the longest punt return (94 yards), and the top rushing average (7.0 yards per carry). Not surprisingly, he was a unanimous choice for the league’s Rookie of the Year honors.

Considered the greatest “thrill runner” of his day, McElhenny ran with a tremendously long stride and high knee action. His breakaway speed and unique ability to change direction at will left defenders dazed and confused.

In 1961, after nine seasons and five Pro Bowl appearances, McElhenny joined the expansion Minnesota Vikings. It was, all things considered, his finest season. With the Vikings he accounted for 1,069 combined yards and made his sixth trip to the Pro Bowl.

Two years later, as a member of the New York Giants, McElhenny realized a dream that had escaped him – playing on a championship team. Although Hugh’s knees were already shot, Giants coach Allie Sherman knew he would give the team “his very best,” something he did automatically his entire 13-year career.

When he retired after the 1964 season, McElhenny was one of only three players to have gained more than 11,000 all-purpose yards. Altogether, on rushing, receiving, kickoff returns, punt returns, and fumble returns, he totaled 11,375 yards — or more than six miles.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

reminded ME of how much i loved the days of a brusing runningback and a terrorizig defense in a windy cold outdoor stadium.
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

Prophet Guest

It was fun to read through the historical moments section on the Vikings.

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

Anyone know where the best place is to get good 8x10 or 11x14 (or maybe even larger) photos from Vikings days gone by? I am framing some (that I got on Ebay), but just want to be able to pick out some more possibly for finishing my sports room downstairs when I complete it over the coming months.

Thanks, I am sure there is somewhere that specializes in that kind of thing.

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

Thanks, for posting these pictures.
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Sean Salisbury...LOL!!!

They also misspelled Daunte...but they did get Cris Carter's right!

They also need to update several players' ending date ranges (that we traded or cut this year) from "Present" to "2006".

Other than that...great find...good to go down memory lane with some of the all-time greats!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

Yeah, these are great! But there is no Jack Del Rio or Scott Studwell :scratch:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast