krogge is offline Waterboy

Some advice needed ...

coming in from Colorado for game. Need to get to airport right after game. Does Dome allow backpacks into stadium? Nothing big ... . Also is the train the best option for getting from the Dome to airport after the game?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks ...
    None

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Some advice needed ...

The Metro Transit Hiawatha Line (Route 55) goes from the dome to the airport.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Some advice needed ...

krogge wrote:
    coming in from Colorado for game. Need to get to airport right after game. Does Dome allow backpacks into stadium? Nothing big ... . Also is the train the best option for getting from the Dome to airport after the game?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks ...
    No, they do not allow backpacks into the Dome.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The light rail DOES go directly to the airport after the game, but there will by several thousand (not exaggerating) fans trying to get on it after the game. Last year after a regular season game, I had to wait 1 1/2 hours just to get on the train, and then had the 1/2 hour ride back to the Mall of America, which is right by the Airport.

If you have a plane to catch after the game, my recommendation would be to catch a taxi. It will be more expensive, but significantly faster.

As far as the backpack, no they don't allow any bags (except lady's purses) in the dome. I don't know what to advise you for that.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

NodakPaul wrote:
    ...no they don't allow any bags (except lady's purses) in the dome. I don't know what to advise you for that.
    Trust me, you are better off buying stuff in the dome than going the route of carrying a lady's purse. The girls fans on hand already have the hots for the effeminate Romo and you don't want them riding your ass when you are trying to watch the game.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Two little secrets that sometimes helps with the light rail traffic situation...

Try getting on the light rail train that is going into downtown, rather than the one heading out toward the airport. Just stay on the train when it hits the end of downtown (just a few stops away), then the train reverses direction and heads out the other way.

Secondly, there are some Metro buses that leave from right around the train station and if I recall correctly, one has a stop right at the Fort Snelling light rail station. While everyone is cramming onto the light rail train, you may be able to get on the Metro bus quite easily. Then just get off the bus at the Fort Snelling station and catch the light rail there. The rail passes are good for the bus or train, or pay on the bus and get a transfer which is also good for the train.

If you can stand to, it also doesn't hurt (if you are really pressed for time) to leave the stadium just a little bit early to beat the crowds to the train. If the game isn't terribly close (as in, will be decided in the final two minutes, win or lose), consider leaving early and get on the train with little or no wait.

Another thing you may be able to do to catch the train more easily is to walk into downtown to the next light rail station...might be five or six blocks, but there should be next to no line to get on the train there...you just have to hope that someone gets off there to give you room to get on.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

I'm surprised Marstoc didn't give you this advice.
    If you have to get to the airport shortly after the game, you simply have to leave early.There is no other choice.
    Even a taxi has to deal with the traffic.It takes a long time to get out of the area.
    If you leave early you can get away as long as you don't wait until late in the 4th quarter.

The train will take you from the Dome to the airport, if you leave early enough to get on it.

Not sure how to solve the backpack problem. You could leave it in one of the vehicles at the tailgate if you didn't have to leave early. But retrieving it after the game would really slow you down.

Good luck. Have fun up there.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

krogge wrote:
    Are you coming to the PP.O tailgate? And are you a Vikings fan? :cheer:

Unless you REALLY have to skedaddle out of town fast, you can probably leave your backpack with one of the vehicles that secure our tailgating spots. Just check with the driver. I doubt anyone will be leaving early and leaving the tailgate lot (unless there is a medical emergency, or the Vikings are losing by triple digits). Just come back to the tailgate spot right after the game, get your backpack, and head out.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

krogge is offline Waterboy

Yes, my brother (Cliff) and I (Ken) will be at the tailgate. I'm in my early 50's and my brother's in his late 40's. We have been Viking fans since children but have never been to a game or the metrodome. Look forward to seeing as many of you as possible. Although probably the last time we'll be back up there for some time ... will be great to thank you in person for all the advice. You've truly been very helpful with all of my questions ... thanks so much.

Do I need to check in someplace to go to the tailgate, or do we just show up??!! I know I know ...yet another question ...
    None

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

krogge wrote:
    Yes, my brother (Cliff) and I (Ken) will be at the tailgate. I'm in my early 50's and my brother's in his late 40's. We have been Viking fans since children but have never been to a game or the metrodome. Look forward to seeing as many of you as possible. Although probably the last time we'll be back up there for some time ... will be great to thank you in person for all the advice. You've truly been very helpful with all of my questions ... thanks so much.

Do I need to check in someplace to go to the tailgate, or do we just show up??!! I know I know ...yet another question ...
    There's a thread in the Vikings Fan Forum where you should add your name, but that's a recommendation, not a requirement. Just showing up is good enough. That thread also has all the details on the tailgate location.

Be aware, if you want to drink some beers pre-game that Minnesota does NOT allow alcohol sales on Sunday, so you'll need to stock up on Saturday.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!