Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Solidify the O line

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Except that I think that Guard is Marcus Johnson's natural position...and that would mean that we need to draft an OT...which would lead us to have to consider Marcus McNeill in the first round or wait until later to take someone like Andrew Whitworth of LSU. This could easily happen if we sign Stephen Neal in FA and let Marcus Johnson play RT next season (even though I think that he would be playing out of position).
    Yes, I think that is a valid concern for the coaching staff. Do they want to move him back to RG or keep him at RT??? His footwork seems questionable, seemed a bit slow, what are they going to do???

If I remember right, they had him slated as moving to the RT out of college even though he started 45 of 48 games at RG at Ole Miss.

Jul. 27, 2005 - 12:49 am et

Vikings signed tackle Marcus Johnson, a second-round pick, to a five-year, $3.455 million contract.
    The Mississippi tackle has ideal size and should be Minnesota's right tackle of the future. He could play guard this year, though.
    Apr. 23, 2005 - 8:05 pm et

Vikings selected Ole Miss tackle Marcus Johnson with the 49th pick in the NFL Draft.
    Something of a luxury pick, the 6'6, 321 pound force may replace Mike Rosenthal at right tackle long-term.

CynicalVike is offline Starter

"Vikes" wrote:
    "sharper42" wrote:
    i think the vikings need to sign 1 more premier offesive lineman to soliify our line. if we could land a guy like jon runyan or larry allen and have them team up with hutch birk mckkinnie and richardson lead blocking we would have a 1,000 yard rusher this year 4 sure
    Larry Allen might be expensive.
    His cap number was somewhere around $6-7M for the Cowboys this year. I think $4M of it was defered signing bonus.

I'm not interested in having him here. He's 34, which is getting old for a guy his size, and he's played the left side all his career. Who would you move to the right side, him or Hutch?

I'd like to see us pick up Neal to finish off the re-tooling of our Oline and pick up some younger players we can nurture along in the later rounds. I do think we should pick up Eslinger in the second though. The zone blocking scheme he played in college, with his speed and mobility, should be quiet usefull in the new offense we are going to run.
    I used to be indecisive, now I m not so sure!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:
    We need to draft a young center to learn behind Birk, and Eslinger would be a great pickup in the 3rd round.

As far as right guard and tackle, we should go with Goldberg and Johnson. Both are young players and I think will develop into solid lineman on the Vikes.
    Eslinger is the second rated Center right behind Mangold. If he is still around in the 3rd, you take him. I am sure he could play G and back up center.

At the end of the college season he was concidered the best center in the darft. Mangold ended up moving ahead after the bowl games. Esclinger is a great pulling center and is a smart player, he can open some holes.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VikingGuy43 is offline Rookie

"Vikes" wrote:
    "sharper42" wrote:
    i think the vikings need to sign 1 more premier offesive lineman to soliify our line. if we could land a guy like jon runyan or larry allen and have them team up with hutch birk mckkinnie and richardson lead blocking we would have a 1,000 yard rusher this year 4 sure
    Larry Allen might be expensive.
    Exactly... the guy was making 6-7 million last year and he still had a good season in Dallas. There is no way we would fork out more big money to another guard after the money we just gave Hutch. Instead let's use whatever money we have leftover on a LB.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

Marcus johnson is to slow at guard, he cant get out of his stance in time to be productive. That is one of the reasons we put him at tackle, at least that is what i read in a article long time back.

Stephan Neal is still available and he would not cost as much as Larry Allen.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

When it comes to O-Line Marcus Johnson is NOT the weakest link. Snowinapril summed it up perfectly. I think the right call is too replace Goldberg either in FA or the draft and then extend Mckinnie's contract. Keep the O-line together for at least 3 or 4 years. The running attack will be amazing now and in the future if that is the case.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Del Rio Guest

The offensive line is like one big player. You don't need pro-bowlers in every spot.

Our team has way bigger needs atm then O-line.

You sign a guy like Hutch because he is good enough to make up for other players. He isn't considered the best guard in the league because he does only HIS job well. He will be working with the line, watching their backs, and together as a team they will succeed.

As a D lineman nothing pisses you off more then beating a guy only to have a huge paw from the guard get a hand on you throwing you off your game.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Goldberg is a going into his 3rd year and Marcus is going into his 2nd, it takes an NFL lineman 3 to 4 years to become solid player. Look at McKinnie, he stated half way throw his first year, but did not start playing well until the end of his third year. last year he was a solid tackle, but not a pro-bowler yet.

Some exceptions but not many.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Sounds like we have an outside chance of landing Neal.. That would be a good pickup for what we already have. Getting Hutch, and having Birk back healthy, and adding MT. McKinney to the scenario, that is going to be one hell of a improvement to the O-Line right there.. With that line, and having Tony Richardson blocking for him, there is no reason that Chester Taylor can't have over 1,000 yds rushing, and 10 or more TD's..

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Given how badly the O-Line played last year I don't think one more addition is that bad of a call. On the other hand there are bigger needs. I'm guessing we pick up a guard in the thrid round.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast