Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: So You're Tellin' Me There's A Chance

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1105678
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1105122
    Every other "new starter" position on the team, with the exception of Johnson at LT, was a backup a year ago.
    Some really good stuff my friends. I have just one comment though......

Almost every starter was a backup at somepoint in his career. Truth of the matter is, almost every team that has won the SB of late has done it with players they developed with very few teams having success going out and trying to buy a team full of talent.
    *coughSaintscough*

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1105681
    Every other "new starter" position on the team, with the exception of Johnson at LT, was a backup a year ago.

Almost every starter was a backup at somepoint in his career. Truth of the matter is, almost every team that has won the SB of late has done it with players they developed with very few teams having success going out and trying to buy a team full of talent.
    *coughSaintscough*
    9 of the 12 most significant offensive starters on the 2009 Saints team were either drafted by the Saints or were signed as undrafted FAs by the Saints. Brees and Jonathan Goodwin were signed as FAs and they traded for Shockey. Hardly "buying a team full of talent".

6 of the 14 most significant defensive players were Saints draft picks, Ayodele was signed after being cut by Dallas, Anthony Hargrove was signed in 2009 after serving a 1-year suspension for substance abuse, Fujita was signed as a FA, Vilma and Shanle were acquired by trade, Jabari Greer, Randall Gay and Sharper were signed as FAs. A bit more FA activity on the defense, but, again, hardly "buying a team full of talent".

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1105682

*coughSaintscough*
    9 of the 12 most significant offensive starters on the 2009 Saints team were either drafted by the Saints or were signed as undrafted FAs by the Saints. Brees and Jonathan Goodwin were signed as FAs and they traded for Shockey. Hardly "buying a team full of talent".

6 of the 14 most significant defensive players were Saints draft picks, Ayodele was signed after being cut by Dallas, Anthony Hargrove was signed in 2009 after serving a 1-year suspension for substance abuse, Fujita was signed as a FA, Vilma and Shanle were acquired by trade, Jabari Greer, Randall Gay and Sharper were signed as FAs. A bit more FA activity on the defense, but, again, hardly "buying a team full of talent".

=Z=
    And compare to other recent superbowl teams?

Obviously most teams have the majority of their players drafted by them, but the Saints do have a comparatively high number of key FA acquisitions.

Without Sharper, Brees, or Vilma the Saints don't sniff the superbowl in 09, and in all likelyhood aren't coming anywhere close to the playoffs.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Truth of the matter is, almost every team that has won the SB of late has done it with players they developed with very few teams having success going out and trying to buy a team full of talent.
    How many teams have won it going out & buying mediocre talent at key starting positions such as WR?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1105764

Truth of the matter is, almost every team that has won the SB of late has done it with players they developed with very few teams having success going out and trying to buy a team full of talent.
    How many teams have won it going out & buying mediocre talent at key starting positions such as WR?
    LOL, let it go my friend. Based on what I've seen from this scheme, and our QB's tendancy to dump it off, we won't need WR's this year. Atleast not to the level you want them to be involved.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

*coughSaintscough*

=Z=
    Thank you sir. Saved me the effort.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1105790

LOL, let it go my friend. Based on what I've seen from this scheme, and our QB's tendancy to dump it off, we won't need WR's this year. Atleast not to the level you want them to be involved.
    Nope. We won't. Load up on TE's, RB's & short passing plays & try to win a SB "old school" in a passing league.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1105795
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1105790

Nope. We won't. Load up on TE's, RB's & short passing plays & try to win a SB "old school" in a passing league.
    The deeper stuff will come my friend. All part of the chess match I mentioned in a thread the other day.

If I can trust ole Musgrove, you should be able to as well.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1105744

*coughSaintscough*

=Z=

Obviously most teams have the majority of their players drafted by them, but the Saints do have a comparatively high number of key FA acquisitions.

Without Sharper, Brees, or Vilma the Saints don't sniff the superbowl in 09, and in all likelyhood aren't coming anywhere close to the playoffs.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1105803
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1105744

*coughSaintscough*

=Z=

+1
    OK, lets use the Aints as our Model. What other team falls into that model?

As I said previously,,,,,,,

Even if I agree with the Saints, you have still only given me one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12