Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    markmarkmark is offline Waterboy

Re: New Vikings.com released!

Great, so the website is no longer straight out of 1999. Unfortunately the new one is straight out of 2004. I cringe at the likely case that someone got paid a lot of money for minimal cosmetic work that doesn't add anything new other than branding the site with AD's eyes up on top.

Half of the visual real estate (before you scroll down) is taken up by crap. Is it really necessary to take up THAT much space with the Peterson eyes banner thing? Why waste so much space with stale content like the
    "player feature" when they could use it for news headlines? Not to mention the space-wasting, yet still somehow not very clean or readable, navigation bar that resides over yet ANOTHER navigation bar for the picture window thing.

The whole site looks like it was unintentionally designed with first-time visitors in mind. I'm guessing that the budget they allocated toward it was small because they don't get much traffic. Which they don't get because the site sucks. Therefore people will come to the site when they are consciously thinking of buying tickets or merch - rather than when they are thinking about the Vikings, want to chat about the Vikings, etc. What about actually using it to build the Vikes brand, by developing a relationship with fans such that they'd want to visit the site daily? I'd be surprised if they're spending over 2% of their marketing budget on the online stuff.

Such big potential and high ROI... such a missed opportunity. Good deal for PP.O though, for the official Vikes website to be so devoid of useful content!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"markmarkmark" wrote:
    Great, so the website is no longer straight out of 1999. Unfortunately the new one is straight out of 2004. I cringe at the likely case that someone got paid a lot of money for minimal cosmetic work that doesn't add anything new other than branding the site with AD's eyes up on top.

Half of the visual real estate (before you scroll down) is taken up by crap. Is it really necessary to take up THAT much space with the Peterson eyes banner thing? Why waste so much space with stale content like the
    "player feature" when they could use it for news headlines? Not to mention the space-wasting, yet still somehow not very clean or readable, navigation bar that resides over yet ANOTHER navigation bar for the picture window thing.

The whole site looks like it was unintentionally designed with first-time visitors in mind. I'm guessing that the budget they allocated toward it was small because they don't get much traffic. Which they don't get because the site sucks. Therefore people will come to the site when they are consciously thinking of buying tickets or merch - rather than when they are thinking about the Vikings, want to chat about the Vikings, etc. What about actually using it to build the Vikes brand, by developing a relationship with fans such that they'd want to visit the site daily? I'd be surprised if they're spending over 2% of their marketing budget on the online stuff.

Such big potential and high ROI... such a missed opportunity. Good deal for PP.O though, for the official Vikes website to be so devoid of useful content!
    LMAO.

I agree with some of your comments, like the nav bar that runs over another nav bar.
    But others, like the player bio I don't.
    The entire left side (about 2/3 of the page) is devoted to Vikings news.
    I don't care for the format, but it is there and dynamic.
    I also think that the site is set up more for a commercial site, targeting people who want tickets and merchandise as opposed to fan forums.
    Vikings.com has been devoid of fan forums for as long as I can remember, and I believe that is a conscious decision.
    The do have wearevikignsfans.com, which is their social networking site.
    But if you are looking for either one to be forum based community site like PP.O, then you are going to be disappointed.
    It is a commerce and news site, not a social one.

For the record, I still think my company could do better.
    But then again, it is designed by one of our competitors, so of course I would think that...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"NodakPaul" wrote:

But then again, it is designed by one of our competitors, so of course I would think that...
    ??? So do you work for a company or are you a cop?

In another thread you talked about being a cop. You didn't mention if it was presently or formerly.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

In another thread you talked about being a cop. You didn't mention if it was presently or formerly.
    Sorry for the confusion.
    I've done a lot of crap in my life, so I tend to have a lot of goofy stories.
    I was formerly a cop, for 7 years while I was in the Air Force.
    Then I put myself through college, earned two degrees
    (one in Psychology and one in Computer Science) and am now a senior software engineer at a marketing and technology company.
    Who knows, in another ten years I may be doing construction...

Nah, I am pretty happy as an engineer.
    I think this one will stick.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

Sorry for the confusion.
    I've done a lot of crap in my life, so I tend to have a lot of goofy stories.
    I was formerly a cop, for 7 years while I was in the Air Force.
    Then I put myself through college, earned two degrees
    (one in Psychology and one in Computer Science) and am now a senior software engineer at a marketing and technology company.
    Who knows, in another ten years I may be doing construction...

Nah, I am pretty happy as an engineer.
    I think this one will stick.
    Thanx for clearing that up Paul.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

markmarkmark is offline Waterboy

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I agree with some of your comments, like the nav bar that runs over another nav bar.
    I also think that the site is set up more for a commercial site, targeting people who want tickets and merchandise as opposed to fan forums.
    Vikings.com has been devoid of fan forums for as long as I can remember, and I believe that is a conscious decision.
    But if you are looking for either one to be forum based community site like PP.O, then you are going to be disappointed.
    I meant specifically the "top of the fold"... the very first thing you're presented with visually before having to scroll. Ideally you have the freshest information there, presented in a way that leads the eye to fresh information.

It's all philosophy, I guess. I'd argue that the major opportunities for a Vikings website would be to drive revenue, of course, but an equally important stage for building brand equity. My hypothesis is that the site could do a better job of getting people to come to the site more often and have a reason to stay longer. Wearevikingsfans looks like a sort of bolt-on brand equity builder, but why build something separate from the main website? I'd think that fragmentation would just dilute their online offering.

Blog Entries

"markmarkmark" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I meant specifically the "top of the fold"... the very first thing you're presented with visually before having to scroll. Ideally you have the freshest information there, presented in a way that leads the eye to fresh information.

It's all philosophy, I guess. I'd argue that the major opportunities for a Vikings website would be to drive revenue, of course, but an equally important stage for building brand equity. My hypothesis is that the site could do a better job of getting people to come to the site more often and have a reason to stay longer. Wearevikingsfans looks like a sort of bolt-on brand equity builder, but why build something separate from the main website? I'd think that fragmentation would just dilute their online offering.
    I actually agree with that paragraph completely.
    I think the decision to separate the "official" site from a community driven site was a business decision to avoid having to monitor and police the forums.
    I am a member of wavf.com, but I think it falls short.
    I don't like social networking sites at all, but I stick around that one because I have gotten to know some of the community leaders.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234