Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Aftermath is offline Waterboy

So whats the latest on Taurean Henderson?

I don't know how he didn't go drafted but Im glad yall signed him to a deal. If he plays anything remotely like how he played in College yall will have a nice player.

587 carries at 5.5 per carry for 3,241 rushing yards. 50 rushing TDs.

303 receptions for 2,058 reception yards. 19 receiving TDs.

Comments taken by various publications about his college career stats.

Tied in third place on the NCAA career scoring list not including kickers with 414 points. Set NCAA all time record for receptions by a RB with 303 which ranks third all time in receptions, out of all players including wide receivers. Set NCAA records for consecutive games with a catch (51) and games with a TD.

Going into his senior season...

One of the most versatile and prolific backs in school history ... returns for final season with a firm hold on the running back slot ... ranks second in NCAA history among running backs with 236 career receptions ... trails former Long Beach State running back Mark Templeton by 26 catches ... ranks second among the nation's returning running backs in receptions (60) last season, fifth in overall touchdowns (18) and eighth in scoring (9.0 ppg).

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

Re: So whats the latest on Taurean Henderson?

I didn't know we picked him up. Hmmmm, I must be working too much...
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Aftermath is offline Waterboy

"Braddock" wrote:
    I didn't know we picked him up. Hmmmm, I must be working too much...
    You didn't you signed him to a free agent deal after the draft.

oddmanout22287 is offline Pro-Bowler

Considering training camp hasn't even started yet, I doubt you'll find any solid news on your boy.
    Wait until the rookies start reporting and try checking back then for more news.
    PM me if you'd like a sig.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Yep.. As for now.. he will fight for the number 4 RB job.. along with Joe Echema and Wendell Matthis

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Aftermath" wrote:
    I don't know how he didn't go drafted but Im glad yall signed him to a deal. If he plays anything remotely like how he played in College yall will have a nice player.

Tied in third place on the NCAA career scoring list not including kickers with 414 points. Set NCAA all time record for receptions by a RB with 303 which ranks third all time in receptions, out of all players including wide receivers. Set NCAA records for consecutive games with a catch (51) and games with a TD.

One of the most versatile and prolific backs in school history ... returns for final season with a firm hold on the running back slot ... ranks second in NCAA history among running backs with 236 career receptions ... trails former Long Beach State running back Mark Templeton by 26 catches ... ranks second among the nation's returning running backs in receptions (60) last season, fifth in overall touchdowns (18) and eighth in scoring (9.0 ppg).
    Nice to have you on the board...Taurean! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"Aftermath" wrote:

3rd player in NCAA history to have 3,000 yards rushing and 2,000 yards receiving in his career.

NCAA record of 51 consecutive games with a reception.

All Big 12 1st team in 2005

2005 3rd team all American

Team record 2005 5 TD's against Kansas State

Those are impressive stats:

Why wasn't he drafted?

Did he have some issues?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

You may also want to check out KFAN's training camp guide here:

http://www.kfan.com/pages/vikings/camp2006/index.html

It has a ranking system on the right called "The Bottom Line" that is supposed to rank the players on the roster with an eye toward the 53-man cut.

Though it certainly isn't 100% accurate (and at times can feel like it is 0% accurate) it can give you an indication of who is on the bubble to make the team.

Of course this is the first year they have that ranking system post-tice and Tice was a pretty easy person to read, so take this year's with a grain of salt.

-DD

[size=10px] I guess what I'm saying here is that I have no idea...[/size]
    The Betic Always Gets His Shot!

NodakAttack is offline Training Camp

This was written before the draft, but is a decent read. Also offers a potential reason for falling out of the draft pick selections.

http://www.redraiders.com/stories/042306/foo_042306040.shtml

Henderson hopes to hear name called at NFL draft
    BY DON WILLIAMS
    AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

A week away from the NFL draft, Taurean Henderson is closer to the little boy's dream of playing pro football than he ever imagined growing up. Not that Henderson doubted his talent for sports, but it showed up earlier in pursuits other than football.

"I always thought I would run track,' said Henderson, who competed in a Waco summer track and field program from the time he was about 9 years old to age 16.

Long jump. Triple jump. The 100 meters. The 200 meters. The relays. You name it, Henderson competed in it.

"Almost every meet, the high-point man of the team,' he said.

Henderson

But when Henderson went to college, it was to run straight ahead, not in ovals. He didn't just break the Texas Tech school record for touchdowns. He scored 69 in four seasons as a Tech running back, wiping out the old record by 17.

That sort of productivity and a marketable set of all-around skills makes Henderson a probable draft pick next weekend. The draft begins Saturday with rounds one through three and concludes the next day with rounds four through seven.

In terms of Tech and the Lubbock area, this draft year looks similar to 2000 in that a couple of players who went to high school in the area are projected to go ahead of any Red Raiders. In 2000, Brian Urlacher from Lovington, N.M., and Bubba Franks from Big Spring were top-15 overall picks, and Tech's pool went untapped until the fifth round. This year, draft analysts expect UTEP linebacker Thomas Howard, a former walk-on from Estacado, to go no later than the second round and have Texas tight end David Thomas from Frenship going as high as the third round.

Henderson says he's gotten vibes from pro scouts and his agent that he could be a first-day pick, but the consensus among analysts seems to be a little later. ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. doesn't have any Tech player going in the first four rounds. Rob Rang, the senior analyst for NFLDraftScout.com, sees Henderson going early on the second day.

"Henderson is universally ranked as one of the top all-around backs in this draft,' said Rang, a Seattle-based analyst, "but his lack of playing speed will almost surely keep him from being drafted on the first day.'

Henderson was timed at 4.59 seconds for the 40-yard dash at the February NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. Henderson figures a better gauge of his abilities came over the last four seasons, when he rushed for 3,241 yards and caught passes for 2,058 yards, joining a small circle of major-college players who have topped 3,000 rushing and 2,000 receiving.

Plus, in Tech's offense he got more work in pass protection than most running backs.

Henderson says he thinks he would fit in well with the Indianapolis Colts offense. The Colts seem to look favorably upon Mike Leach-trained players, too, given that last year they drafted Tech center Dylan Gandy, signed Tech guard Cody Campbell as a free agent and invited Tech quarterback Sonny Cumbie to minicamp.

"As far as my own feelings, I feel I can play with any team,' Henderson said. "I've been running the football for years now. Being able to catch the ball and block makes me a more versatile back.'

Henderson says the pending draft has left him with a mixture of emotions. There's the excitement of getting his chance to reach another goal - but in football, not in track.

Which is OK.

Henderson never loved track that much anyway.

"No one loves to go out there and run every day,' he said. "The fun is competing against other sprinters and the adrenaline you get right before right before the sound of the (starter's) gun.'

When he was a youngster competing in an Athletes in Action track program in Waco, Henderson got to make several out-of-state trips. Visits to Utah and Florida were two of his favorites.

Getting ready to see the country this way isn't quite the same.

"There's definitely a nervous feeling,' Henderson said. "A fear of not knowing where your next home's going to be, and being around a new team, new guys and adjusting to the different playing scheme.'

To comment on this story:

[email protected] 766-8734

[email protected] 766-8735
    Ahh PURPLE is the color of all my Dreams!! GO VIKES!! Bring us a Lombardi!!

NodakAttack is offline Training Camp

Some more on Taurean talking about lack of speed....

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=478

Taurean Henderson (2006)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Position: RB Number: 19
    School: Texas Tech Height: 5'10

This is a very effective running back in a passing style offense
    He may not have the prototypical size you look for, but he has the body structure for durability and the skills to be a feature running back at the collegiate level, and as for the next level I need more evaluation time to see if he can perform at the same level
    He is an effective runner both as an inside or outside runner, as for his inside running his explosion through the hole, quick feet, leg strength, low center of gravity, and instincts make him effective at breaking a good number of tackles in there, and on the corners outside the tackle areas he has the quick burst, balance, vision and speed to threaten any defense, and he has the forward lean after contact from defenders you look for, which comes from his lower body strength
    He also has good hands out of the backfield to go along with everything else he brings to the table, and he has some of the best anticipation for defenders I have seen in some time
    One thing that concerns me could his lack of flat out top end speed that could be the one flaw in his game that may hold him back from becoming a feature back at the next level, since his game relies mainly his on quickness with his lack of size he needs to have that outright speed to offset his lack of power
    I would like to see more of him to get even more evaluation time
    Ahh PURPLE is the color of all my Dreams!! GO VIKES!! Bring us a Lombardi!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast