Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CanuckVike is offline Starter

So what do you think of D this year?

Well thank God for our offense today...putting up points when we had to..but what do you all think about Ted Cottrell's Defence? I'm not at all impressed. I mean the Bears...that "Offensive juggernaut" pretty well ran the ball at will in our own house a fair bit of the time! And throughout the game, very little pressure on Grossman and when we do get a chance to sack the little sucker, he puts a little wimp move on our guy and we go flying past him like we were on rollerskates! It wasn't very comforting watching Winfield get beat twice in a row either. I'm not saying they played entirely bad, but we are sure going to need more out of these guys if we want to win againts better teams.
    Also...way too soft on the coverage when the Bears made their final touchdown run...just like in previous years! Sheeesh!
    8ed0c24a99f7e44be7931aa4afb7bd88

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

On one of those winfield boms, grossman got so lucky he just through it up for a prayer and got it.

I'm disapointed in the defense, i really am. They have one good stop then they look like sh*t it dont make sense. Now EJ is out and Claborne (who i'm disapointed in his production). We have no INT's that sucks, we only have 4 sacks in 3 games thats kind of pathetic. Its hard to say i'm not to upset with the secondary although they give way to much cution for some stupid ass reason.

It's hard to say they are good but its hard to say they suck because one drive they look great then the next they look like crap. We will just have to see waht happens in the next couple weeks.

Check out this article entitled: Defending our 'D'.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/sports/football/nfl/minnesota_vikings/9754501.htm

It makes some really good points which I agree with. Check it out!
    Skol!
    Go Vikings!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

The D stink. We have had our opportunities to make the D better. there have been FAs out there but we haven't went after them. The only major FA we signed was Winfield. B4 that I don't remember who was a big FA. We were picking up old over the hill guys to patch the d up.

Look how far the SeaDogs have come along. They shut out the 49ers. Holmgren put it all together and he concentrated on the d first. The coached the offense from the people they had in the organization.

We have a high octane offense which is exciting but we will lack the D to make a run in the playoffs if we even get there.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Cottrell is not a miracle worker. We are going to have to give him a little more time to get this defense to gel. But I do agree that the soft coverage at the end sucks...we need to be way more aggresive.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

BigEasyViking is offline Coordinator

They need a lot of work. It was really hard to tell today if the players just weren't playing or if they were put in the wrong spots. I don't know, but if it doesn't get better there will be no post season for the Vikings. If we would have been playing any other team today we would have gotten beat. It was a discusting display today, and they need to fix it.
    God Bless America, & the MINNESOTA VIKINGS!!!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

NeoVikes,

I like that article. I like where it pointed out that we have made the committment to youth on D.

As far as our team go we will get better, but I hope it is by the end of this year and not the middle of next year.
    We do need to be patient until Mid Nov before we write of the D for this year. I hope we can stay healthy enough for the young guys to gel.

In my prev posting, I was complaining that the last few years we went old vets. We should be happy that we went young in this draft. We definitely have young and speed on our side. That is a positive for the future of the Vikes.

vikesls is offline Rookie

Swiss cheese defense

The defense is porous. Holy like swiss cheese, not like saint hood. Jones ran on us like we weren't there. The secondary is a loonng way from adequate. How much time do we give Cottrell? We haven't looked decent since Dungy left. If it weren't for awesome offense once in a while we'd lose every game. We never STOP anyone....just cause them to score a little slower than our offense. I'm glad we're 2 and 1, but we'll never beat anyone in the play offs if we don't improve on D a bunch. Three games before our first 3 and out? Not very good. :scratch:

vikesls: "How much time do we give Cottrell?"

I think we need to give him a little more time than 3 games before we run him out of town. He took over a team that was 26th overall last season.

Like cajunvike said, Cottrell is not a miracle worker. The D will improve as the season goes on.

Just look at last season, our D was creating a lot of turnovers, and then the wheels fell off. I hope it will be the other way around this time. We will see.
    Skol!
    Go Vikings!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

An exerpt from the aforementioned article:

Defending the 'D'

The Vikings' defense is still incubating under new coordinator Ted Cottrell and will improve, experts say.

BY DON SEEHOLZER

Pioneer Press

Teams are converting over 50 percent of their third downs. We've got to get that in the 30s."

For the record, the Vikings are allowing opponents to convert 52.4 percent of their third-down opportunities. That figure ranks next-to-last in the league, ahead of only Houston, and is considerably worse than last year's final 38.5 percent mark.

"So that's a big concern we have," Cottrell said. "We've also had a couple penalties and had some execution flaws, so we've got to get better. We've got to play the down better."
    =================================
    Back when I was playing high school football, we had a chant for our defense on third down, "Big Play, Defense". That was to remind ourselves that if we didn't stop the other team on that down, then the first two downs that we stopped them on meant nothing. We rode that "big play defense" all the way to the state championship and won it all. The bottom line is if your defense can't stop teams on third down, you will not go anywhere. The Vikes D needs to step up and force more punting situations so our offense can get the ball back and score touchdowns.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast