Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34
  1. #11
    Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,426

    Re: So James Is Back...

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I think Edwards will start against Atlanta.
    James is back in practice, but he is behind the power curve right now.
    He is going to compete for the starting job, but no guarantees.

    FYI, Edwards also found himself on the opposite side a couple of time on Friday.
    It is also possible that we will see a Edwards/James combo.
    Childress and Frazier will put the best two ends on the field.


    Personally I like the fact that we have depth.
    Nothing like a little competition to get the performances up.
    Usually you and I see things pretty much the same, however in this case I have a question that goes back to the whole RDE/LDE discussion I keep harping on.

    You don't mean in our base 4-3 we will have Edwards and James starting do you?

    Udeze 6-3 281/Scott 6-3 289 lbs.
    James 6-4 266/Edwards 6-5 268 lbs.

    In order for him to supplant Udeze one or both of them would have to add weight, probably slowing him down and probably not an option for James as extra weight will just compound problems with suspect knees.
    Just don't see why we would start them both in the base.

    I would, however, expect to see them both on the field as rotations/situations dictate were we aren't worried about the run as much as the pass.
    Hopefully that is what you mean.
    ;D
    Its not unheard of.

    Indy

    Robert Mathis LE - 6'2' / 245 - 9 sacks.
    Fast pass rusher.
    Dwight Freeney RE - 6'1' / 268 - 5.5 sacks.
    Fast pass rusher.

    Their whole line is undersized.


    All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

  2. #12
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,552

    Re: So James Is Back...

    Hopefully, four healthy DEs produce what we've been lacking for YEARS, YEARS.
    Pressure from these guys is critical.
    James hasn't done much yet in his career, in fact, none of them really has.
    I like them all, however, they need to step up.
    Maybe James' return will create a sense of urgency that will bring out the best in them all.
    James should not be walking into a starting role, new coach, new year, and, he didn't do much before the injury.
    Do not get me wrong, it is great to have hime back...his expectations of himself are probably higher than ours are.
    May the best man/men win.

    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: So James Is Back...

    I read somewhere that Udeze might not even start.Darrion Scott might............So our ends will be Edwards and Scott..wat a joke

    For the people who went to camps how has Udeze looked??.......Like shit???

  4. #14
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,403

    Re: So James Is Back...

    Before he went down, I don't think James played that bad.

    If he shows that he still has the acceleration coming back from that injury, I think he'll still be the starter. Edwards will rotate in, or be used as a situational rusher.

    Thanks to PPE for the sig.

  5. #15
    DustinDupont's Avatar
    DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,607

    Re: So James Is Back...

    read in the star james is starter when heathly

  6. #16
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: So James Is Back...

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I think Edwards will start against Atlanta.
    James is back in practice, but he is behind the power curve right now.
    He is going to compete for the starting job, but no guarantees.

    FYI, Edwards also found himself on the opposite side a couple of time on Friday.
    It is also possible that we will see a Edwards/James combo.
    Childress and Frazier will put the best two ends on the field.


    Personally I like the fact that we have depth.
    Nothing like a little competition to get the performances up.
    Usually you and I see things pretty much the same, however in this case I have a question that goes back to the whole RDE/LDE discussion I keep harping on.

    You don't mean in our base 4-3 we will have Edwards and James starting do you?

    Udeze 6-3 281/Scott 6-3 289 lbs.
    James 6-4 266/Edwards 6-5 268 lbs.

    In order for him to supplant Udeze one or both of them would have to add weight, probably slowing him down and probably not an option for James as extra weight will just compound problems with suspect knees.
    Just don't see why we would start them both in the base.

    I would, however, expect to see them both on the field as rotations/situations dictate were we aren't worried about the run as much as the pass.
    Hopefully that is what you mean.
    ;D
    I wouldn't be shocked to see it tried a few times in preseason.
    Having two undersized ends is rare, but not unheard of.
    It would take away from our run defense, but likely add to our pass D.

    Anyway, I didn't say that I expected it, I just said that it was a possibility...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  7. #17
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: So James Is Back...

    "DaVizzles" wrote:
    I read somewhere that Udeze might not even start.Darrion Scott might............So our ends will be Edwards and Scott..wat a joke

    For the people who went to camps how has Udeze looked??.......Like pooh???
    I haven't seen that anywhere yet.
    From what I heard Udeze was more comfortable on his natural side, and was looking to prove something this year.
    Do you have a link we could read?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #18
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: So James Is Back...

    "Billy" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I think Edwards will start against Atlanta.
    James is back in practice, but he is behind the power curve right now.
    He is going to compete for the starting job, but no guarantees.

    FYI, Edwards also found himself on the opposite side a couple of time on Friday.
    It is also possible that we will see a Edwards/James combo.
    Childress and Frazier will put the best two ends on the field.


    Personally I like the fact that we have depth.
    Nothing like a little competition to get the performances up.
    Usually you and I see things pretty much the same, however in this case I have a question that goes back to the whole RDE/LDE discussion I keep harping on.

    You don't mean in our base 4-3 we will have Edwards and James starting do you?

    Udeze 6-3 281/Scott 6-3 289 lbs.
    James 6-4 266/Edwards 6-5 268 lbs.

    In order for him to supplant Udeze one or both of them would have to add weight, probably slowing him down and probably not an option for James as extra weight will just compound problems with suspect knees.
    Just don't see why we would start them both in the base.

    I would, however, expect to see them both on the field as rotations/situations dictate were we aren't worried about the run as much as the pass.
    Hopefully that is what you mean.
    ;D
    Its not unheard of.

    Indy

    Robert Mathis LE - 6'2' / 245 - 9 sacks.
    Fast pass rusher.
    Dwight Freeney RE - 6'1' / 268 - 5.5 sacks.
    Fast pass rusher.

    Their whole line is undersized.
    IMHO that is why they couldn't stop the run.
    I just can't see it playing at least one DE that isn't in the 280 range.
    You just give up to much.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #19
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,841

    Re: So James Is Back...

    Most Olinemen are over 300 lbs these days, so yeah size helps.

    I think we might see some sort of lighter, faster DE combo in on passing downs.
    Ie. third and longs...when we're pretty sure the LBs etc can step up to end a run play if needed.
    So far, from what's been said, Udeze is RDE starter (but Scott is pushing him,) and James will have every chance to reclaim his starter status (very likely) once he is fully ready.
    Any which way, add Robison into that rotation, and I think we'll see more pressure on QBs this year.

    The Tampa-2 is based on getting pressure from the front four because everyone else has a zone to cover.
    The assumptions about Fraizer blitzing comes from his experience playing in the old Bears' 4-6, aggressive, attack defense, and his exp working with Johnson in Philly.
    And, I did read somewhere, something he said about trying to count on the front four, but bringing some blitz too.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  10. #20
    PurpleTide's Avatar
    PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,210

    Re: So James Is Back...


    We have the guys to cover any situation, and they will rotate nicely raising he!! in the opponents backfield. Fresh rushers all game. I saw Erasmus knock-out 2 of Purdue's QB's in back to back plays, so we've got a mean streek coming, angry guys waiting to get after it. This is what we've been needing, and we'll be seeing QB's running for their lives, like a certain chicken commercial a couple years back..... Oh Yeah.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Erasmus James traded (was Erasmus James waived)
    By AngloVike in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 06-08-2008, 08:25 AM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-23-2007, 06:30 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-26-2007, 12:26 AM
  4. Just got back from Tommy James and the Shondells.
    By baumy300 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-15-2007, 01:19 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-14-2006, 02:21 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •