Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Smoot: 'third corner to nobody'

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

buh-bye smoot. Let's hope we can get a solid receiver in a trade or a mid round draft pick.
    LOL, I see no reason to cut Smoot if he takes a pay cut, he had a decent year, especially at nickel. Wht not make him the starter there? I don't see anywhere were he would be opposed to that.

People keep saying...."Oooooooooh we still have Dovonte Edwards", but the reality is, we haven't seen Edwards start an entire season to know enough about him & if he is starting material.

Furthermore Smoot states that he is learning the new system. I find it laughable that people are holding him accountable to a higher standard of playing then they are holding other players to, that are also learning a new system.

I've watched Winfield give up a lot of 3rd & long plays this season as well as seen Griffin give up his share. I will admit, Griffin does hit harder & tackle better than Smoot & Winfield is definitely are best tackling DB, but if it's after giving up another first down, it still moves the chains for the opponents.

Please clarify for me where in that article Smoot says "I will take a pay cut if it means helping the team as a third corner." In fact, it says the complete opposite of that. 3rd corner=Nickel. Smoot clearly says that if he were to be the THIRD CORNER next year that he would not like to return to the team.

I'm not arguing whether smoot is good or not. The guy just gave Childress an ultimatum. If he is nickel- then he doesn't want to be a viking. Simple as that. Sounds like a guy commited to the team, right?
    Last I checked, Smoot was still under contract. The decision is up to Childress whether he comes back or not. It is not up to Smoot. If he is let go, it will be because of monetary reasons. Smoot has to earn his starting role back. It will not just be given to him. I'm sure Childress will make that very clear to him.

IMO, Childress will let him have that opportunity. If he decides to let Smoot go, the Vikings stand to save only $400,000 in cap room. Depth is important on this team as we all know with the share of injuries that have befallen on us the last few years. That has to weigh in on Childress' decision.

Nowhere in that article does it state that he will definitely get cut if Childress decides to go with Griffin, so saying buh bye Smoot now is still premature. Childress hasn't stated which way he is going yet, so all we can do is play the waiting game until March 2nd to see if he gets released or gets his roster bonus.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"michaelmazid" wrote:
    third corner to nobody?

hell, he might be out of the league with the way he has been playing. he is a totally different player than he was in washington. He has lost all confidence and he needs to be cut.
    wtf?
    The way he has been playing?
    Smoot actually was playing great before the death of his brother.
    And he had a helluva game in Green Bay too.
    I am OK with losing Smoot if it comes down to that because we do have depth at corner, and his contract is outrageous.
    But trying to say that he should be cut because of the way he has been playing is asinine.
    He may not be as good as he was in Wash, but he is still a decent CB.

Smoot is right, there are plenty of teams who need a starting corner.
    If he isn't going to be a started here, then let him go somewhere else.

I wonder if we would be willing to take the cap hit so we can trade him rather than cut him.
    We certainly have the cap room to do it, and it would be nice to get something for him.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

This is something that because of his mediocre play at a top 10 CB pay, I think he gets cut before we pay him a roster bonus.
    Unless another team doesn't want to see him hit the FA market, I don't think he gets any takers on him in a trade, they can put in a reasonable bid for him once we cut him.

I am not saying that it is definite, but it wouldn't surprise me.
    Especially when he isn't concerned about the team but only what is best for "Fred Smoot."

"Fred wants what is best for 'Fred Smoot.'" LOL

"Jimmy thinks Jimmy can jump, and Jimmy likes Elaine. Jimmy wants to take Elaine out." LOL

"Snow loves the Vikings and Snow could care less what happens to Fred Smoot at this point because Snow doesn't think Fred is a team player."

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

IMO, the loss of Tomlin may change things up for Smoot. We have no idea what type of defense we will run next year. For all we know, the Tampa 2 might be a thing of the past in Minnesota.

It's a wait & see game now.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

It will be interesting to see what happens now that Tomlin is gone. Will we stick with the same defense? I would say probably....but we don't really know where Smoot will fit in.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

If we're going back to man coverage, which I sincerely hope we are, Smoot is staying.

Winfield, Sharper, and Smoot all played in man systems before Tomlin. So hopefully Smoot and Sharper will be back to their old production.

I'm starting to get kind of excited for a new DC now.

The current guys know how to stop the run, now hopefully the new guy can show them how to stop the pass.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    If we're going back to man coverage, which I sincerely hope we are, Smoot is staying.

Winfield, Sharper, and Smoot all played in man systems before Tomlin. So hopefully Smoot and Sharper will be back to their old production.

I'm starting to get kind of excited for a new DC now.

The current guys know how to stop the run, now hopefully the new guy can show them how to stop the pass.
    yeah, this situation completely changed with Tomlin gone. Maybe we'll be moving back to the 4-3. Who knows..

IMO, Smoot needs to go. Never liked the guy, never will. It would be nice to get something for him though, but if not, oh well.
    Even babies know the difference.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    I chalk the Smoot pickup as one of the worst moves we have done as of late. Getting rid of Brian Williams for Fred Smoot in my own opinion was a waste of time and money.
    I hate to play "if only" scenarios, but, dayum, I wish the Vikes had Winfield, Brian Williams and Ced Griffen as their top 3 corners.
    They'd be set for the next 5 years.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Del Rio Guest

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    I chalk the Smoot pickup as one of the worst moves we have done as of late. Getting rid of Brian Williams for Fred Smoot in my own opinion was a waste of time and money.
    I hate to play "if only" scenarios, but, dayum, I wish the Vikes had Winfield, Brian Williams and Ced Griffen as their top 3 corners.
    They'd be set for the next 5 years.

=Z=
    I don't remember if you were around at the time but when we first signed smoot, I was heavily questioning the move and when Brian Williams got shafted I was surprised. I think I spent all summer trying to convince people Brian Williams was at the very least just as good as Fred Smoot.

There were some big time BW haters around here, probably still are but since Smoot turned out to do jack shit for us they must be too chicken shit to speak up about it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast