Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 98
  1. #11
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Smoot still getting burned

    "Del" wrote:
    Oh yeah even Dyson would have been a huge upgrade for us for about 1/2 the price. Smoot has only really succeeded in attracting a bunch of bandwaggoners. He was known as a great CB. Now he is known for scandal and getting burned by Steve Smith. He should be sending thank you cards to champ bailey for getting him a huge contract.
    LOL.
    How can you call people who still support Smoot (myself included) bandwaggoners?
    Isn't the defination of a bandwaggoner someone who starts supporting a team or player only when they have been recently successful.
    I think those of us who think Smoot will still make an impact this year are the exact opposite of bandwaggoners.


    However, I expect the actual bandwagonners to come out in droves after Smoot starts playing to his potential this season...
    ;D
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  2. #12
    rjmac's Avatar
    rjmac is offline Training Camp
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    26

    Re: Smoot still getting burned

    Plead guilty to a lesser boat charge. Someone is trying really hard to get this guys name in good standing in the TC's. All in all, just a slightly better than average DB, only cuz of a good stick from time to time. His days may be numbered.

  3. #13
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Smoot still getting burned

    "JDogg926" wrote:
    I find it interesting that every game I watch, when someone makes a play on Smoot, the announcers always say "on one of the elite (or better) corners in the league".
    Yet, he consistently gets burned.
    I don't know how a player who consistently gets burned can be considered elite, or even among the better players in the league at his position.
    I think Winfield can be considered elite, when you hear his name called, it's usually for something good, Smoot seems to be exactly the opposite.
    Because he doesn't consistently get burned.
    Many of the Viking fans have only been following Smoot closely for a season.
    And it happened to be the worst season of his career.
    I am not going to get into the things I think made an impact on our view of Smoot last year because they have been beaten to death elsewhere (like blaming the assinine defensive scheme developed by a budget coach, or pointing out that a lot of people judge Smoot based on one game).
    The fact is that Smoot left a bad taste in a lot of Vikings fans mouth, and now we tend to only key in on the mistakes he makes.
    Give him a chance to prove himself again.
    When the pass is thrown to the right, try and get a glimpse of the coverage on the left.
    Sometimes when a defensive player is doing his job the best, you will never hear his name called because the ball goes no where near him...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  4. #14
    Prophet Guest

    Re: Smoot still getting burned

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "JDogg926" wrote:
    ...When the pass is thrown to the right, try and get a glimpse of the coverage on the left.
    Sometimes when a defensive player is doing his job the best, you will never hear his name called because the ball goes no where near him...
    Good point.
    Here's an interesting read with some stuff about Smoot on Vikings.com:

    http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_objectname_WinfieldSmoot81806.html

    "Considering I've played six years in the NFL and have had six different defensive coordinators, I've played in about every scheme you can come at me with," Smoot said jokingly. "I like the scheme, the aggressiveness [of it], and I like what it frees me and Antoine up to do."
    Personally, I really don't know what to think about him.
    I watched him play at Mississippi State and saw some Redstick games he played in.
    Hopefully he'll rise to the occasion under Tomlin.

  5. #15
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Smoot still getting burned

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    Oh yeah even Dyson would have been a huge upgrade for us for about 1/2 the price. Smoot has only really succeeded in attracting a bunch of bandwaggoners. He was known as a great CB. Now he is known for scandal and getting burned by Steve Smith. He should be sending thank you cards to champ bailey for getting him a huge contract.
    LOL.
    How can you call people who still support Smoot (myself included) bandwaggoners?
    Isn't the defination of a bandwaggoner someone who starts supporting a team or player only when they have been recently successful.
    I think those of us who think Smoot will still make an impact this year are the exact opposite of bandwaggoners.



    However, I expect the actual bandwagonners to come out in droves after Smoot starts playing to his potential this season...
    ;D
    Did you start following the Vikes because Fred Smoot joined them? I am guessing no. There are a lot of younger fans that have come aboard because of him which was witnessed here by me when he was signed. That is what I would consider a Bandwaggon fan. If it doesn't fit your description of it so sorry. Also when did I say "If you support Smoot you are a bandwagon fan" Listen people need to read a post and then understand it. This is becoming an epidemic. Stop reading something and changing the words in your mind it is what it is.

    A)"Smoot has only really succeeded in attracting a bunch of bandwaggoners" What I said.
    B)"How can you call people who still support Smoot (myself included) bandwaggoners?" What you think I said NOT THE SAME THING.

    I'm gald you still support an overrated over paid scandal inciting CB. I was against the signing, I still am but I am willing AS I HAVE SAID many times to give the entire defense a clean slate due to the poor coaching of Cottrell.

    When Smoot first signed on with the team people here were all about it. We had new members join up just because of Smoot. Now that he sucked it up last year, and he did they are quiet which is a relief. I can thank Smoot for that. He has piss poor tackling technique, he gives up big plays and has yet to proove he can succeed without Bailey which was a critisizm he has always had.

    The burden of proof is on him that he will improve. If he is getting his jiggly butt handed to him in pre-season it doesn't look good. However like I said I really wont worry about it until it starts counting.

    I will say if you support him and you justify pure fanboy kaka del toro and excuses on the mere fact that one time in the past the guy was good, it's simply is not enough.

    At the end of the day we had a chance to get one of three solid CB's we overpaid and he stunk it up. We could have gotten better quality for less money, they went with the loud mouth iconic figure that could put people in the seats instead of the quiet CB's that get the job done and play for less money. I am not a fan of that and I am definately not a fan of what he has done so far as a Viking.

  6. #16
    Vikes's Avatar
    Vikes is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,733

    Re: Smoot still getting burned

    I have not been a huge fan of Fred Smoot. But I was willing to let give a clean slate this year. I can only hope he gets his act together. He still strikes me as a party animal. So time will tell if he can pull it together.
    300

    The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

    300

  7. #17
    Webby's Avatar
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Aug 1998
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    8,976
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Smoot still getting burned

    He's a big mouth, to be sure, and thus I don't put much stock in him.
    Big mouths usually bust...they talk to cover up poor results.

    He gets this season under Tampa 2 to get it together, otherwise send him elsewhere.

  8. #18
    CCthebest's Avatar
    CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,270

    Re: Smoot still getting burned

    Fred Smoot is a punk. He never stops talking, and has nothing to back up his big mouth. Hes the worst cover guy the vikes have had in a while, even worse then Brian Williams. Hes too old, too slow, and to busy setting up boat parties to be an effective corner.

  9. #19
    Top_Speed's Avatar
    Top_Speed is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    266

    Re: Smoot still getting burned

    Fast Freddie never got burned once.... just ask him!
    ;D
    Home Sweet Dome...

  10. #20
    Mr. Purple's Avatar
    Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,005

    Re: Smoot still getting burned

    Its to early too say whose good...so that means its too early to say who sucks.CB's get burned on a regular basis, dosnt matter if its Champ Baily or Smoot.


    As for the bandwagoners who love Smoot, I am one of them.But you'll all be bandwagoners when hes doing good, and all of the sudden his fans come outta the wood work.

    Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Man gets burned while using lighter to siphon gas
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-03-2008, 11:31 AM
  2. Buying into latest myth can get teams burned
    By Garland Greene in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 10:58 AM
  3. Combine burned Vikings in 2005
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-27-2008, 12:35 PM
  4. Wonder if six tapes got burned today
    By Iwantmy$2 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2008, 08:25 AM
  5. Good Bye Fred Smoot NFL Network Reports smoot is done in minnesota
    By SuperVikes07 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 03-01-2007, 12:47 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •