Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Smoot not smitten with Smith rematch

[size=13pt]Vikings: Smoot not smitten with Smith rematch[/size]

The Vikings cornerback says it doesn't matter to him if the Panthers star plays, but his teammates don't buy it.

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: September 13, 2006 – 10:08 PM

There aren't many topics the normally loquacious Fred Smoot is unwilling to address, but evidently anything to do with Pro Bowl Carolina receiver Steve Smith is one of them. At least this week.
    "If he plays he plays, if he doesn't he doesn't," the cornerback said in an annoyed tone Wednesday when asked about Smith possibly missing a second consecutive game because of a hamstring injury.

The indifference appeared strange considering Smoot might have a chance to even the score against a player who caught 11 passes for a franchise-record 201 yards against him last season in a 38-13 loss to the Panthers.

"I feel like I want to win," Smoot said, adding an expletive. "I'm not worried about evening the score. I want to be 2-0 when the game is over with."

Whether Smoot has taken this vow of silence or coach Brad Childress has put a muzzle on him is unclear, but not even Smoot's teammates are buying this act.

"I'm sure he's excited about it," cornerback Antoine Winfield said. "It was unfortunate that Steve went over 200 yards on him last year. But it wasn't all about him. It was the rush, just the whole defense in general. This year we're going to take some pressure off of him, we're going to be jamming [Smith] a lot, putting the safety over the top."

That's if Smith is able to play Sunday. He suffered a strained left hamstring during a Sept. 5 practice and hasn't been on the field since. He sat out the Panthers' season-opening 20-6 loss to Atlanta and was listed as questionable on the injury report Wednesday.

Smith told the Charlotte Observer on Tuesday that he's behind schedule and has made it clear he doesn't want to rush back. "People say, 'Take one for the team,' " Smith said. "If I take one for the team, I might play two [games] and be out for four, play two more and be out for three."

During a 2005 season in which he led the NFL in receiving yards (1,563) and tied for first in the league in receptions (103) and touchdowns (12), Smith saved one of his best performances for the Vikings' defense. His 201 yards receiving are the second-most in a single game against the franchise, trailing Jerry Rice's 289-yard performance on Dec. 18, 1995.

Smoot was the primary victim because he was assigned to cover Smith in nearly every situation on that afternoon in October. Smoot -- who also was called for four penalties and saw Smith mock him not long after the infamous love-boat incident by making a rowing motion after a 69-yard catch -- saw his day come to an end in the fourth quarter when he departed after suffering a shoulder strain.

"He hasn't said too much but you know it's in the back of his mind that he's looking forward to this game," safety Darren Sharper said. "Especially when the schedule came out, he was excited that we were going to have the opportunity to see this team again. He's a competitor. Whenever you have a guy that loves to compete, you always want to get a chance to get back at a team or a player that you feel you didn't fare that well against."

Safety Dwight Smith, who is expected to start Sunday after being on the inactive list Monday night against Washington, faced Steve Smith on a frequent basis when he played for Carolina's NFC South rivals, Tampa Bay and New Orleans. He knows the type of damage the 5-9 receiver can do. He also dismisses any talk that Smoot could still be affected by his day to forget.

"We're professionals," said Dwight Smith, who joined the Vikings just before training camp. "You're going to have bad days every now and again. Steve Smith makes a check just like Fred Smoot makes a check. He got the best [of him] that day, we doubt if that will happen again. We're here to play football. Last year what happened has nothing to do with what's going on now."

Judd Zulgad • [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Smoot not smitten with Smith rematch

[size=13pt]Smoot vs. Smith: Round Two may be put on hold[/size]

By Eric Krupka on September 15, 2006 12:03 AM

The first thing that comes to mind when reading Carolina at Minnesota on the schedule is Fred Smoot vs. Steve Smith. Last season the Panthers' receiver torched the Vikings' cornerback to the tune of 11 receptions for 201 yards and a touchdown. To add insult to injury (Smoot actually was injured in the fourth quarter), Smith decided it would be funny to imitate rowing a boat after a touchdown, mocking Smoot's involvement in last year's bye week shenanigans on Lake Minnetonka.

However, the tables are turned now. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on your feelings toward the two, there may not be a Smoot versus Smith matchup Sunday because the latter is still nursing a sore hamstring and has yet to practice. He is currently listed as questionable on the injury report.

Last season's Week 8 drubbing at Bank of America Stadium saw the Vikings not only lose the game, getting blown out 38-13, but also their ex-starting quarterback, Daunte Culpepper, for the season.

In fairness to Smoot, last season's gameplan was about the worst way possible to attack the Panthers' offense, especially Smith. Playing a corner 10-15 yards off a speedy receiver the caliber of Smith, with no safety help over the top, is downright insane. Coaching staffs that design a plan like that shouldn't keep their job, and that helps explain why defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell and head coach Mike Tice are no longer in Minnesota.

Up to this point, the Vikings' cornerback has tried to keep it a non-issue. Smoot said, "I feel like I want to win. I'm not worried about evening the score. I want to be 2-0 when the game is over with."

And who could blame him? Certainly, if Smith does play, the scheme will be much different.

"This year we're going to take some pressure off of him [Smoot], we're going to be jamming [Smith] a lot, putting the safety over the top," said corner Antoine Winfield.

And you can bet Smoot, even if he won't admit it, would love another chance to go toe-to-toe with Smith.

When asked about it, Smoot offered, "If he plays, he plays. If he don't, he don't."

Round Two may be put on hold, but in the eyes of Smoot and the Vikings, all that really matters is getting another "W" and improving to 2-0.

Eric Krupka can be contacted at ekrupka@realfootball365.com

Shutdown receivers with [size=11pt]Fred Smoot[/size] and the Vikings at RealFootball365.com.

[size=12pt]Post a Comment[/size]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

My fantasy play right now would be for Smith to play, catch a deep pass, and get leveled by Smoot as he is coming down and lose control of the ball.. You know, the ones where the reciever has no control of their body, and they crash to the ground with extreme force..

I never wish injury on any team, or player.. It would however be nice to after that fantasy hit, that Smith lay on the ground for a few minutes.. Then he gets up, and limps to the sideline.. After that, the announcers say that he should be alright, but he is out for the remainder of todays game..

Hey, its my fantasy.. ;D

Grassdog61 is offline Rookie

While the press wants to create some sort of controversy with the Smoot/Smith Smoot matchup (imagine that, the media trying to create hype), Smoot is taking the right approach - focus on winning the game.
    Personally, I think Smith will play and he'll get his fair share of catches.
    But the most important thing is how well we handle the Carolina offense attack overall as a team.
    614f282e3c576bcf94e1d24d7a29bead

oakmage is offline Starter

My fantasy would be the defense getting at lest 9 sacks with at lest 4 of them be what is called "coverage" sack.
    ;D

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

In fairness to Smoot, last season's gameplan was about the worst way possible to attack the Panthers' offense, especially Smith. Playing a corner 10-15 yards off a speedy receiver the caliber of Smith, with no safety help over the top, is downright insane. Coaching staffs that design a plan like that shouldn't keep their job, and that helps explain why defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell and head coach Mike Tice are no longer in Minnesota.

Thinking about the way that game was run defensively still make my blood boil.
    Cottrell is an idiot.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Torontovik15 is offline Rookie

Well no matter what happens Steve Smith is to much of a talented receiver not to get a few catches...I hope if Steve plays he is not 100% and cant cut or run effectively...Minny is also in a way better position, with there scheme in defending Smith...

My hope is that he catches 1 or 2, but in throwing to him Smoot has an interception, that will bring his confidence way up, not that he needs any help...
    What we got here is a failure to communicate.

thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

I am sure that everyteam that plays carolina this year will look at the tape from the nfc championship last year between carolina and seattle.The seachickens absolutely shut down steve smith..how you ask?Quadruple coverage (no kidding) usually he was coverd by 2 linebackers and a cornet and safety the linebacker would bump him the other line backer would run over the top of him backed up by the safety and the and the corner making kind of a mini zone coverage.this year they have a legit 2nd reciever in meshaun so quadrupl ecoverage is out of the question.Unlike smith though keyshaun can be man covered so i say if smith plays then put 3 guys on smith and 1 on keyshaun

Json is offline GM

Now I don't agree that you can't quadruple cover Smith.
    I don't beleive Keyshawn will beat the D.
    He's a possesion receiver not a deep threat.
    They can dump it off to Keyshawn all day long for all I care, but Smith getting the ball on a 10 yard catch and turning his jets on for another 80 is not an option if you wnat to win.

Del Rio Guest

Steve Smith came from the University of Utah, no one can cover him. Especially an overpaid Jabberwakie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast