Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Smoot benched in lineup shakeup - Could be his last year as a Viking

"Acumen" wrote:
    Smoot haters rejoice!
    lol.
    Also, it is good to see that Williamson will supposedly be dropped down the receiving corps hierarchy...although he was still listed as the #1 last I checked.
    Doing my happy dance right now as I type.
    I called for his head after I attended the Bears game and finally Childress has listened.

Now, I also do subscribe to the theory of the Zone "D" back there not helping him out as much, but for as much as he is being paid, he should be expect to do it all ...

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    ;D

I don't get it either. IMO, the same people that are jockeying for Tarvaris are the same ones that are jockeying for Carter to play. They base their opinions on the same thing: preseason games in the 3rd and 4th quarters. I don't get it.

I mean, I liked watching Carter and I thought he had some good skills, but you can't REALLY tell how good the guy is from those games. The same thing goes for Jackson. He showed some great things, and I hope he translates those preseason performances into regular season ones at some point, but you can't REALLY base your entire perception of Tarvaris off of 3 preseason games in the 3rd and 4th quarters. If you based everything off of preseason, then Brad would be the starter hands down! He outplayed Tarvaris against the first string defenses. Not to hijack the thread or anything, but....

Look at the preseason stats:

Tarvaris: 22/34
    249 yds. 2 TDs 0 Ints
    Brad: 34/45
    333 yds. 2 TDs 0 Ints

So obivously with the way things have gone this year, it's very difficult to judge how a player will play in the regular season based on preseason performances.

I don't think a lot of people base it on preseason performances, but base it on poor regular season performances by those who ARE starting right now.

We have players who haven't been getting the job done as starters, and we have back ups that are question marks, so you can hardly fault people for looking for answers to our problems.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

What I don't understand with Smoot is why he gives so much of a cushion compared with Griffin - do the coaches not point this out to him or is just so cocky that he ignores it anyway?
    Either way looks like he could be on his way out of Minny then ..
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"AngloVike" wrote:
    What I don't understand with Smoot is why he gives so much of a cushion compared with Griffin - do the coaches not point this out to him or is just so cocky that he ignores it anyway?
    Either way looks like he could be on his way out of Minny then ..
    That's what I've questioned all year. If it wasn't part of there defensive strategy, why did they not call him on it?

I saw big cushions all season long by more DB's than Smoot.

I thought it was all part of the Tampa 2.

One reason Griffin may be playing tighter than Smoot IMO, is that since our DB's have been giving up so many catches, Tomlin has tightened things up a bit. He just happened to make the tweaks on the week Smoot was out.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "Ltrey33" wrote:
    ;D

I don't get it either. IMO, the same people that are jockeying for Tarvaris are the same ones that are jockeying for Carter to play. They base their opinions on the same thing: preseason games in the 3rd and 4th quarters. I don't get it.

I mean, I liked watching Carter and I thought he had some good skills, but you can't REALLY tell how good the guy is from those games. The same thing goes for Jackson. He showed some great things, and I hope he translates those preseason performances into regular season ones at some point, but you can't REALLY base your entire perception of Tarvaris off of 3 preseason games in the 3rd and 4th quarters. If you based everything off of preseason, then Brad would be the starter hands down! He outplayed Tarvaris against the first string defenses. Not to hijack the thread or anything, but....

Look at the preseason stats:

Tarvaris: 22/34
    249 yds. 2 TDs 0 Ints
    Brad: 34/45
    333 yds. 2 TDs 0 Ints

So obivously with the way things have gone this year, it's very difficult to judge how a player will play in the regular season based on preseason performances.

I don't think a lot of people base it on preseason performances, but base it on poor regular season performances by those who ARE starting right now.

We have players who haven't been getting the job done as starters, and we have back ups that are question marks, so you can hardly fault people for looking for answers to our problems.
    I can't fault them either, but at least look for legitimate answers. A lot of fans are acting like Tarvaris Jackson and Jason Carter could turn our season around but it just isn't going to happen.

If you want to complain about not having a legitimate backup to go to, fine. If you want to complain about not trading for Deion Branch or another good wideout after K-Rob had his incident, fine. Just don't act like the guys we have on our roster now are saviors. They've been 3rd stringers/not on the roster all year, so don't act like they're suddenly going to turn our season around.

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

Not all that want to see Carter get a shot, want to see Tjack in there. Who knows if Tjack is recovered fully. And he is Childress's pet right now. I dont trust Childress for some things, but i do think he knows what to do with Tjack, and thats seems fine with Tjack.

Jason Carter in preseason looked good. Our receivers havent looked good, especially Twill. Thats why I wanted him to get a shot so bad. Considering he cleared waivers twice, no one expected a superstar, just a reciever who would catch the ball. I hope Mrob, bethal and travis
    work out and get us a win Sunday.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    I will reply and back Carter up.
    The reason why is not because I think he is a diamond in the ruff.
    He did well during preseason and that's about all I know about him.
    However, since he has been with the team he knows the system.
    He would be a better fit than bringing anyone else in. We obviously need changes.
    By the way Carter was promoted to the roster for the game against the Dolphins.
    However he was then listed as inactive.
    I don't know the reason.
    I was at the game and disappointed because we lost.
    Let me put it this way, he wouldn't be any worse than TWill has been so why not give the guy a chance?
    At this time MRob is the ONLY "sure-handed WR" we have.

How do you know he can't be worse than T-Will?

He could come in and be 5 times worse than T-Will!

Is he fast enough to get separation form any starting DB's in the NFL?
    Is he going to hang onto the ball if he does catch it?
    If he can't make the catch can he defend the DB and keep him from making an INT?

I would not mind if Carter got a shot to see what he can do, but he is a complete unknown and there is nobody that is posting on here that has any idea how this guy will do when he does get a chance.

I would love to see him come in and catch everything thrown his way, break away from DB's and score 2 TD's a game!
    Do I think that is going to happen?
    Helll no!

Do I think that the coaching staff doesn't think he is ready to play in the NFL?
    Yes, or he would have already been in there!

But I hope he gets a shot to play none the less, and I hope he does great things with it!
    But I think that he will be on an NFL Europe team next year gaining experience, and a couple years down the road I think he might be a 4th or 5th receiver on the Vikes.
    You are correct.
    I don't know if he will do better than TWill.
    However, bringing him in would not be a bad thing.
    TWill has done absolutely nothing this year except drop important passes.
    Even if Carter scored 1 TD, that would be 1 more than TWill has in 10 games.
    He should get his chance to play and that is exactly my point.
    For a person listed as a #1 WR, he's not stepped up.
    There is no reason why Carter shouldn't get a chance.
    What I do know is we need a better WR corps than we have now and there's no reason for Carter not to get his shot.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

A long time ago I predicted Smoot being replaced by Griffin and gone in a year or two. I'll try to find that post.

As far as Carter is concerned we do know a few things.

He was able to catch the ball under pressure.There is one hell of a lot of pressure on someone in his position just trying to make the team in pre season.

He made good decisions when fielding and returning punts. Maybe intelligent!

He found a way to get open for some impressive gains more than once even if it was against other 3rd string players.

He is too slow to be a number one receiver! Because of this he is in competition with Travis Taylor as a third down posession receiver or Mc Mullen who has looked pretty good to me.
    That's why he has hung on with Childress but not been played in my opinion.
    I hope he's one of these guys who they say is too slow but always gets open;like a Cris Carter or even Wiggins (yes I know Wiggins is an end).

I would like to see him get a shot before this season ends.

But if the O line doesn't come around it won't matter anyway!
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

I don't understand WHY Minnesota cannot find quality receivers. I mean GBay has receivers coming out the YAHOO. Heck they even let JWalker leave. But NOOO Minnesota stays with TTaylor, MRobinson, and TWILL. Whats up?
    BeJohnson looks like a good pickup. I blame ALL this on KRob. Darn you KRob darn you!

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Childress: Smoot demoted
    Associated Press
    24 Nov. 2006

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) - The Minnesota Vikings have demoted cornerback Fred Smoot, who has struggled in recent weeks with a groin injury and the death of his half-brother....

===============

Seems a little harsh with their opening line....he's demoted because his groin hurts and his half-brother died...
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast