Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Smoot benched in lineup shakeup - Could be his last year as a Viking

This is a smart move. I think Childress is sending a mesage the season isnt over, and even if it is, he will replace players who aernt getting the job done.

Maybe with Twill sitting, Carter might be given a shot.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"CCthebest" wrote:
    This is a smart move. I think Childress is sending a mesage the season isnt over, and even if it is, he will replace players who aernt getting the job done.

Wow you Carter posters just won't give up!

Why have the Viking's brought in so many receivers if Carter is just this unbelievable receiver just waiting to explode onto the scene?

How is it that a coaching staff that sees him everyday in practice and obviously thinks that he isn't ready to play and have brought in at least 10 receivers that they have worked out and signed some of them instead of using Carter, but people keep thinking that Carter is going to be this superstar receiver.

WHY?

Because he caught a few balls in preseason playing against 3rd and 4th stringers at the end of games?
    Most of those guys are not in the NFL anymore!

I just want someone to explain how they know he is going to do anything?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "CCthebest" wrote:

Why have the Viking's brought in so many receivers if Carter is just this unbelievable receiver just waiting to explode onto the scene?

How is it that a coaching staff that sees him everyday in practice and obviously thinks that he isn't ready to play and have brought in at least 10 receivers that they have worked out and signed some of them instead of using Carter, but people keep thinking that Carter is going to be this superstar receiver.

WHY?

Because he caught a few balls in preseason playing against 3rd and 4th stringers at the end of games?

Here is why.
    He was activated from the practice squad to the active roster a few games ago and then put on waivers and cleared waivers meaning none of the other 31 teams wanted the undrafted rookie.
    He was then resigned to the Vikings practice squad.
    Wait, I guess that doesn't prove that he will be great.
    Himm, I'm not sure.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

If this helps us win the next 6 I'm all for it.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Acumen" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:
    "CCthebest" wrote:

WHY?

Here is why.
    He was activated from the practice squad to the active roster a few games ago and then put on waivers and cleared waivers meaning none of the other 31 teams wanted the undrafted rookie.
    He was then resigned to the Vikings practice squad.
    Wait, I guess that doesn't prove that he will be great.
    Himm, I'm not sure.

;D

I don't get it either. IMO, the same people that are jockeying for Tarvaris are the same ones that are jockeying for Carter to play. They base their opinions on the same thing: preseason games in the 3rd and 4th quarters. I don't get it.

I mean, I liked watching Carter and I thought he had some good skills, but you can't REALLY tell how good the guy is from those games. The same thing goes for Jackson. He showed some great things, and I hope he translates those preseason performances into regular season ones at some point, but you can't REALLY base your entire perception of Tarvaris off of 3 preseason games in the 3rd and 4th quarters. If you based everything off of preseason, then Brad would be the starter hands down! He outplayed Tarvaris against the first string defenses. Not to hijack the thread or anything, but....

Look at the preseason stats:

Tarvaris: 22/34
    249 yds. 2 TDs 0 Ints
    Brad: 34/45
    333 yds. 2 TDs 0 Ints

So obivously with the way things have gone this year, it's very difficult to judge how a player will play in the regular season based on preseason performances.

Big C is offline Coordinator

I am glad these changes were made. I have been questioning Smoot's starting role since the Green Bay game when Griffin made a solid showing. Smoot's cushion bugged the heck out of me because it's a gauranteed completion EVERY SINGLE TIME.

About time Troy got put in his place too. The only reason we can do this is because Bethel is coming on strong. I would like to see Carter get a few snaps but only as a #4 or #5 WR. I think the other WRs are ahead of him.

I wonder if Whittle and Rosey will start on the O-line (with Hicks and Johnson bruised). I thought they played well but don't know if they were good enough to oust Hicks and Johnson.

Kudos to Jeff Dugan for admirably filling in for Richardson.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I will reply and back Carter up.
    The reason why is not because I think he is a diamond in the ruff.
    He did well during preseason and that's about all I know about him.
    However, since he has been with the team he knows the system.
    He would be a better fit than bringing anyone else in. We obviously need changes.
    By the way Carter was promoted to the roster for the game against the Dolphins.
    However he was then listed as inactive.
    I don't know the reason.
    I was at the game and disappointed because we lost.
    Let me put it this way, he wouldn't be any worse than TWill has been so why not give the guy a chance?
    At this time MRob is the ONLY "sure-handed WR" we have.

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Well, i'm glad we are doing something at least. I don't agree with the benching of Smoot, we get mixed articles about why he plays with such a big cushion, a couple of them had said that's part of Tomlin's scheme, Winfield plays off as well as Smoot. I don't think I'll ever know for sure or ever understand that but hey.

If i'm not mistaken we got torched by Favre the night Griffin started as well so I still don't think Smoot is the whole issue on defense. I guess we will see this week, we're going up against, arguably the best WR tandem in the NFL in Boldin and Fitzgerald.

I don't think Smoots a bad player I think the zone D isn't working at all

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"ejmat" wrote:
    I will reply and back Carter up.
    The reason why is not because I think he is a diamond in the ruff.
    He did well during preseason and that's about all I know about him.
    However, since he has been with the team he knows the system.
    He would be a better fit than bringing anyone else in. We obviously need changes.
    By the way Carter was promoted to the roster for the game against the Dolphins.
    However he was then listed as inactive.
    I don't know the reason.
    I was at the game and disappointed because we lost.
    Let me put it this way, he wouldn't be any worse than TWill has been so why not give the guy a chance?
    At this time MRob is the ONLY "sure-handed WR" we have.

How do you know he can't be worse than T-Will?

He could come in and be 5 times worse than T-Will!

Is he fast enough to get separation form any starting DB's in the NFL?
    Is he going to hang onto the ball if he does catch it?
    If he can't make the catch can he defend the DB and keep him from making an INT?

I would not mind if Carter got a shot to see what he can do, but he is a complete unknown and there is nobody that is posting on here that has any idea how this guy will do when he does get a chance.

I would love to see him come in and catch everything thrown his way, break away from DB's and score 2 TD's a game!
    Do I think that is going to happen?
    Helll no!

Do I think that the coaching staff doesn't think he is ready to play in the NFL?
    Yes, or he would have already been in there!

But I hope he gets a shot to play none the less, and I hope he does great things with it!
    But I think that he will be on an NFL Europe team next year gaining experience, and a couple years down the road I think he might be a 4th or 5th receiver on the Vikes.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast