Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Smoking Kills Historic Viking

[size=18px]Viking Bar closes after 47 years[/size]

http://www.startribune.com/457/story/586583.html
    The Viking Bar, a much-loved, sometimes-feared institution in Minneapolis' West Bank scene, closed its doors after a last hurrah Monday night with blues vet Willie Murphy.

"The smoking ban did us in," said Mike Nelson, whose family has owned the bar for all of its 47 years.

Nelson would not comment on what the plans are for the building, but he predicted a downturn for the area. "I do a lot of work to keeping the sidewalks clean and kicking [the troublemakers] off the street corner," he said.

The Viking had endured a rough reputation over the decades because of occasionally violent incidents, including the stabbing of Nelson's brother, Scott, by a patron in 1996. However, it remained a favorite for blues and folk music fans, thanks in large part to regular Monday gigs by Murphy, his cohort Spider John Koerner and, recently, the Front Porch Swingin' Liquor Pigs.

"I and many other musicians passed out under the pool table," Murphy said. "It's one of the last outposts of West Bank music, and just a legendary bar. It's too bad it has to close."
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Smoking Kill Historic Viking

yeah thats too bad, if you cant smoke while having a beer where can you? its something that should be expected when entering a bar - i dont personally but still

ah well

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Re: Smoking Kills Historic Viking

I used to go to a place called the Triangle Bar on the west bank when I lived in the cities in the 60's. Spider John and Snaker Ray and Tony Glover played there a lot in those days. Is it still there?

WWBGD

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

Geesh, smoking and a beer go hand and hand...what else are they gonna take away...maybe cajun has an inside dish on political maneuvers to control the people

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

I still don't understand why a person who owns his own business can't be the one to decide whether or not he wants his establishment to be "smoke free" or not.

The law is killing businesses right & left.

Smokers should have rights also, as should the tax paying owners of their establishments.

If a non-smoker wants to go to an establishment or not that has smoking, that is his choice.

There would still be plenty of "non-smoking" establishments he could go to.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

"singersp" wrote:
    I still don't understand why a person who owns his own business can't be the one to decide whether or not he wants his establishment to be "smoke free" or not.

Smokers should have rights also, as should the tax paying owners of their establishments.

If a non-smoker wants to go to an establishment or not that has smoking, that is his choice.

How is the rule killing buisinesses? Doesn't the rule apply to every buisiness?

I mean if it's your favorite bar......and NO BAR allowed smoking what good would it do for you to leave? This must be a selective rule and there are still bars that do allow smoking, bars that are taking away the clientel of other bars right?

I love Utah, no smoking in any buisiness. Love walking into a resturant and smelling food. It's still odd when I visit my wifes family in Illinois and the rules are different there. On that same note I guess that's one of many reasons I don't live in Illinois.

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

I mostly agree with Del Rio on this one. But i must admit i am allergic to smoke from cigarettes. Last time i went to the local bar..... wow had to leave quick so i am in favor with the trend.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

I mean if it's your favorite bar......and NO BAR allowed smoking what good would it do for you to leave? This must be a selective rule and there are still bars that do allow smoking, bars that are taking away the clientel of other bars right?

I love Utah, no smoking in any buisiness. Love walking into a resturant and smelling food. It's still odd when I visit my wifes family in Illinois and the rules are different there. On that same note I guess that's one of many reasons I don't live in Illinois.
    Because many of the smoking patrons choose not to go to bars at all in those areas, thereby affecting the overall profit margin of those businesses.

The rule is not selective. Some states/counties have the rule in place. If you're in a state that bans it & you're not close enough to the border to find an establishment that does, then chances are you will not patronize any bar.

Restaurants I can understand. There are far fewer eating establishments than bars, at least in my area.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

"singersp" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Because many of the smoking patrons choose not to go to bars at all in those areas, thereby affecting the overall profit margin of those businesses.

The rule is not selective. Some states/counties have the rule in place. If you're in a state that bans it & you're not close enough to the border to find an establishment that does, then chances are you will not patronize any bar.

Restaurants I can understand. There are far fewer eating establishments than bars, at least in my area.
    So someone who smokes would rather stay home and drink and smoke rather then go to a bar?

I guess I just don't understand. This bar has bands and booze. So they are trying to say that their patrons really only went there to smoke. If the ability to smoke inside is so important that their long time patrons would rather stay home then it sounds like to me they had bigger problems.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

How about the fact that it's creating a healthier working environment for people working in these places, and risk death from smoking related diseases because they have to endure this every day.

I can't wait untill our politicians get their acts together and follow the example set by some american states, and now more and more countries overhere as well

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast