Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    You can say that everyone has to improve but my point your missing is that Jamarca played well enough to grade out as the 26th best safety out of 88 that were graded.

That means he was head and shoulders about other teams starting FS's.

If he didn't do that last year, Smitty doesn't do what he did last year. Just that simple.

As to what is sexy and what isn't......Any turnover is a game changer, just not INT's. So are Sacks and Tackles for a loss. Guess which ones happen more often during the course of a game? Same ones that caused Smitty to get 2 gimme INT's last year.

You can put alot of value on a INT if you want, but I'd rather see consistent pressure from our front 4 getting that pressure on the QB (result INT or sack) and getting those tackles in the backfield (lots of fumbles).
    Bleacher report has Sanford ranked 24 out of 57 safeties. Football Nation has Smith ranked 7th and Sanford isn't ranked in the top 40.
    What is your source that ranks Sanford 26th out of 88 ?
    Even if your source is accurate, Sanford is only slightly above average, and that could improve.
    And I will take an interception over a sack or tackle behind the line any time.
    Seems you only read the first sentence of the post and ignored the rest!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Bleacher report has Sanford ranked 24 out of 57 safeties. Football Nation has Smith ranked 7th and Sanford isn't ranked in the top 40.
    What is your source that ranks Sanford 26th out of 88 ?
    Even if your source is accurate, Sanford is only slightly above average, and that could improve.
    And I will take an interception over a sack or tackle behind the line any time.
    Seems you only read the first sentence of the post and ignored the rest!
    The best site out there for stats.....LOL, a hell of alot more reputable that BR and Football Nation (I havent been to that site in a while, what do they track, 4 or 5 statistical catagories....Sacks and INT being the top 2). Cracks me up that BR is even allowed in a discussion on this site based on a few posters (Caine) opinion of that site.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/dat...=25&numgames=1

Overall Harrison 19th, Jamarca 24th out of 88. Not 40, not 57...88.

And I always read the whole post. Always. Doesn't change a thing even if I didn't. Your opinion over Jamarca will still be based on you watching him on the field when he was learning and that he plays SS not FS which doesn't really equate to INT's which you seem to crave.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    According to NFL.com the Vikings ranked as follows on defense over the last 4 years (using yards):

Rush Defense Pass Defense Total
    2009 2nd (87 ypg) 19th 6th (305 ypg)
    2010 9th (102 ypg) 10th 8th (312 ypg)
    2011 11th (107 ypg) 26th 21st (358 ypg)
    2012 11th (106 ypg) 24th 16th (350 ypg)

We have slipped a bit on run defense as we typically ranked in the top 5 during much of Pat's reign. But our pass defense is still our biggest weakness on defense, even when our run defense was very strong.

My guess is that we will see similar run defensive rankings, but hopefully we can improve on the pass rankings. The talent to stop the run doesn't seem much improved, but pass rush and secondary play will hopefully be better.

On a side note, kind of interesting how the ypg stays farily consistent throughout the years from a rankings standpoint. Especially rushing ypg, passing ypg has been trending up a little bit.
    My apologies for being so far off on the run defense ranking. Shows how poor my memory is.

One thing we will always differ on I guess is you think that our pass defense (backend) will improve our run defense and I think our run defense (front 4) improves our pass defense.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    The best site out there for stats.....LOL, a hell of alot more reputable that BR and Football Nation (I havent been to that site in a while, what do they track, 4 or 5 statistical catagories....Sacks and INT being the top 2). Cracks me up that BR is even allowed in a discussion on this site based on a few posters (Caine) opinion of that site.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/dat...=25&numgames=1

Overall Harrison 19th, Jamarca 24th out of 88. Not 40, not 57...88.

And I always read the whole post. Always. Doesn't change a thing even if I didn't. Your opinion over Jamarca will still be based on you watching him on the field when he was learning and that he plays SS not FS which doesn't really equate to INT's which you seem to crave.
    Since what I see on the field is of little to no value, I shall yield to your wealth of experience and expertise. Sanford is great and single handedly responsible for anything Smith achieved last season!
    BTW, I agree with Caine, Bleacher Report isn't worth reading. I used it as a reference because you quote their articles.
    If you don't already, you should write for them.
    Like CmacD, I'm a little frustrated with the lack of Lombardi trophies.
    So if the explanation for mediocrity is due to scheme or stats, I hesitate to accept either as an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Since what I see on the field is of little to no value, I shall yield to your wealth of experience and expertise. Sanford is great and single handedly responsible for anything Smith achieved last season!
    BTW, I agree with Caine, Bleacher Report isn't worth reading. I used it as a reference because you quote their articles.
    If you don't already, you should write for them.
    Like CmacD, I'm a little frustrated with the lack of Lombardi trophies.
    So if the explanation for mediocrity is due to scheme or stats, I hesitate to accept either as an excuse.
    I think your missing my point because I said no such a thing. I said that they both play well together. One can't do what the other did last year without damn fine play from the other S.

Sanford for the most part concentrated on the run (Ranked pretty damn high were-as Smitty was at the bottom of the pack) and Smitty excelled in the passing game.

Again, I get that you want him better in coverage. I have no beef with that. I'm just saying that for a kid that was playing FS he didn't do to bad in that regard.

By the way, I am contributing to a site every once in a while when the urge hits me, but its not the BR site. I think Caine would have me blackballed if I did that.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    My apologies for being so far off on the run defense ranking. Shows how poor my memory is.

One thing we will always differ on I guess is you think that our pass defense (backend) will improve our run defense and I think our run defense (front 4) improves our pass defense.

Never said anything of the sort. I think what I implied was that one doesn't necessarily impact the other.

The point we've always debated is whether you need a competent secondary along with a good pass rush to be effective in pass defense. I maintain both are important, whereas you generally emphasize the line play over all else.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Never said anything of the sort. I think what I implied was that one doesn't necessarily impact the other.

The point we've always debated is whether you need a competent secondary along with a good pass rush to be effective in pass defense. I maintain both are important, whereas you generally emphasize the line play over all else.
    Well, that is kindof what I was trying to say.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234