Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Smith the new anchor of the secondary

Harrison Smith: The new anchor of Minnesota's secondary

Vikings' Harrison Smith: The new anchor of Minnesota's secondary - TwinCities.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach
    Totally agree, he's like a throwback who plays the game hard but fair and is not afriad to put the big hits in. I really like the way he plays
    Purple till i die

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    I still marvel at how great every one seems to think this kid is but in the next breath you will all say how shitty Jamarca is.....

Look, I love how you all glam onto the "Sexy INT" stats appreciate that he he graded out high in that area (Smitty 6th/Jamarca 38th), but he basically sucked vs the run (Smitty 71rst/Jamarca 26th).

But if you look at overall stats (Smitty 19th and Jamarca 24th) we have a pretty damn good set of S's that compliment each other.

Lets start looking at them in that light instead of how great one is because he made a INT or two (They actually floated to him in his zone instead of being coverage picks).
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_The_Viking View Post
    Totally agree, he's like a throwback who plays the game hard but fair and is not afriad to put the big hits in. I really like the way he plays
    And Jamarca didn't put a lick on anyone last year? QB Hits J2/S1 - QB Hurries J4/S1 - Missed Tackles J9/S12.

Again, I love the kid but lets give Jamarca his due here.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    And Jamarca didn't put a lick on anyone last year? QB Hits J2/S1 - QB Hurries J4/S1 - Missed Tackles J9/S12.

Again, I love the kid but lets give Jamarca his due here.
    Jamarca picked up his game a lot last year. Enough to get a $2.5M/yr salary. Do you know where that puts him on our secondary salary list?

I said in earlier posts that I felt the safety position was the most improved part of our team last year. Both Smith and Sanford were the primary reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Jamarca picked up his game a lot last year. Enough to get a $2.5M/yr salary. Do you know where that puts him on our secondary salary list?

I said in earlier posts that I felt the safety position was the most improved part of our team last year. Both Smith and Sanford were the primary reasons.
    And I found that post and gave you props for it old friend.

I haven't looked at where that breaks out but it sure isn't peanuts....Rhodes deal shouldn't be to much different than Smitty's one would think...

5/31/2012: Signed a four-year, $7,138,546 contract. The deal contains $5,775,109 guaranteed -- a $3,631,672 signing bonus and Smith's base salaries in years one through three. 2013: $714,479, 2014: $1,038,958, 2015: $1,363,437, 2016: Free Agent

Minnesota Vikings - NFL Team Contracts - Rotoworld.com

And I found that post and gave you props for it old friend.

I haven't looked at where that breaks out but it sure isn't peanuts....Rhodes deal shouldn't be to much different than Smitty's one would think...

5/31/2012: Signed a four-year, $7,138,546 contract. The deal contains $5,775,109 guaranteed -- a $3,631,672 signing bonus and Smith's base salaries in years one through three. 2013: $714,479, 2014: $1,038,958, 2015: $1,363,437, 2016: Free Agent

Minnesota Vikings - NFL Team Contracts - Rotoworld.com
    According to Spotrac (Minnesota Vikings - 2013 Salary Cap Breakdown), Sanford is currently our highest paid DB, followed by Cook and then Smith. Rhodes will be in the mix as well, but probably a little short as you state.

Winfield's cap hit was going to be around $7M this year, that is pretty close to what our top 4 DB's will get this year. We won't get off this cheap for long, but right now they are allowing us to invest a lot more into the DL which is where you see most of the spending happening on defense.
    Some of this is overinflated this year due to the maturity of JA's contract. But this group is obviously where the vikings feel they need to invest the most.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    According to Spotrac (Minnesota Vikings - 2013 Salary Cap Breakdown), Sanford is currently our highest paid DB, followed by Cook and then Smith. Rhodes will be in the mix as well, but probably a little short as you state.

Winfield's cap hit was going to be around $7M this year, that is pretty close to what our top 4 DB's will get this year. We won't get off this cheap for long, but right now they are allowing us to invest a lot more into the DL which is where you see most of the spending happening on defense.
    Some of this is overinflated this year due to the maturity of JA's contract. But this group is obviously where the vikings feel they need to invest the most.
    Nice link. I've never seen that one before.

Quick question, and I don't think anyone would mind if we go on a tangent here, how much do you give K-dubb to stay for 2 more years?

And then, who doesn't get added to the mix next year?

Nice link. I've never seen that one before.

Quick question, and I don't think anyone would mind if we go on a tangent here, how much do you give K-dubb to stay for 2 more years?

And then, who doesn't get added to the mix next year?
    This will probably be long winded, so hang with me and you'll get my thoughts.

2013 you have 3 big cap hits on the DL in the last year of their contracts:
    JA: $17M
    BR: $6.7M
    KW: $5M

And one key player that is coming off his rookie contract in Everson Griffen.

Personally, I think JA can be solid for another 3-4 years, but wouldn't want to go over $10M/yr with him. This is a very key contract as it will more than likely determine the fate of either Robison or Griffen. Robison will still likely find money similar to what he's making today unless he stinks it up this year. Griffen will want his payday coming off his rookie contract and think he will want at least $5M/yr. If he can put in a good year, he will most likely find that money.

Floyd is a bargain for a few more years, if he can show he's capable of taking KW's spot then I wouldn't be surprised to see KW get let go. Guion/Ballard/Evans are all replacable, but show the value equal to their cap hit. It's also possible that we find out in 2013 that KW is still very valuable and we need to maintain a few more years. I would see a similar contract value to what he has today (~$5M/yr) maybe a little less, if the guaranteed money is low then better yet.

My understanding is that the salary cap is not expected to go up much. Currently JA, KW, BR and EG count right at $30M against the cap. If you follow my earlier assumptions these same 4 players would equal around $27M in 2014 cap hit. So you could keep them all and still have some extra money to throw around.

Simply put, I think KW can be signed for two additional years without necessarily booting one of the other premier DL spots. His play will dictate his worth and his salary and our salary cap will probably not be the deciding factor. JA is the key. If he is going to demand $12M+/yr, whether we keep him or not, will determine what happens to guys like KW.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Personally, and without looking at the numbers, I think the FO has set us up nicely with the signing of Floyd and other moves to let KW finish out somewhere else and have the young guys step in and play. I am also on the record as saying we can let Robison go and give Griff a decent contract as I feel he is a better player overall. Allen- Love the guy. Hope he plays the rest of his career in Purple BUT not if he wants to break the bank to stay.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast