Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Smith/Longwell vs. Chavous/Edinger

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Also, Longwell has done more in his career then Edinger has.. Lonwell is here kicking FG's, and Edinger is not even in football this season.. So if I had to say anything, I say we are better off now..
    I'd say yes & no. Longwell might be a better FG kicker, but he lacking on kickoffs, which is one reason are special teams play suffers. I'm not saying Edinger was great on kickoffs, but we aren't better off in that department.

There isn't a lot of hang time & a lot of his kicks are only to the 10- 15 yardline.

With even an average kick return, our opponents are usually in great field position after kickoffs.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Dwight Smith

2006 Vikes

13 games (benched for about a half) (didn't play in the opener)

64 tackles
    1 sack

4 INT"s

Chavous

2006 Rams

76 tackles
    1 sack
    1 INT

2005 Vikes

71 tackles
    0 sacks
    2 INT's

Looks like Dwight Smith is holding his own to me.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

I think we all know how I feel about Chavous. haha But whatever. I think Dwight is doing a good job. As for Longwell, he hasn't impressed me but he hasn't pissed me off either so he is good enough I guess.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Also, Longwell has done more in his career then Edinger has.. Lonwell is here kicking FG's, and Edinger is not even in football this season.. So if I had to say anything, I say we are better off now..
    I'd say yes & no. Longwell might be a better FG kicker, but he lacking on kickoffs, which is one reason are special teams play suffers. I'm not saying Edinger was great on kickoffs, but we aren't better off in that department.

There isn't a lot of hang time & a lot of his kicks are only to the 10- 15 yardline.

With even an average kick return, our opponents are usually in great field position after kickoffs.

I meant overall, not just with Longwell over Edinger.. I hear your complaint though.. Longwell isn't the greatest at kickoffs, but overall he is an upgrade over Edinger.. I believe it was whack that put the stats up with Smith, and Chavous.. Smith has more INT's with less playing time this season then Chavous has in the past 2 seasons.. No brainer there..

Gift is offline Coordinator

"Smith/Longwell vs. Chavous/Edinger"

Longwell vs Edinger
    I was a huge fan of ED & was against letting him go, with that said Longwell has been statistically an improvement & him being
    here means he is not with the packers.
    So looking at it now I am happy with this trade.

Smith vs Chavous

Our pass D has been a joke this year but I don't think it is because of a lack of talent coming from the secondary.
    I think this "Tampa 2" is completely dependant on the 4 men up front putting preasurem on the QB & that is something that just hasn't happened all year.
    So I think this trade off is meaningless.
    Who is cheaper?
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

jordy is offline Rookie

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "jordy" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    "V-Unit" wrote:
    I honestly don't think that we got any better replacing Edinger or Chavous. We could just have easily signed both of them back and gotten the same production especially considering that Edinger had played with Kluwe for a year and Chavous had played with Winfield, Smoot, and Sharper for a couple of years.

Smith has been not special, and Longwell hasn't shown me he can do anything that Edinger couldn't. Maybe I should have been paying less attention to Hank Baskett and more to us letting Edinger go. Thoughts?
    I think Smith has played very well this year. He has had some very good plays and has proven to be good in coverage and run support. IMO, he's been much better than Chavous and he's much younger too.

i dont see how you can say smith has been good this year...why? because he can hit people? this huy has made the most coverage mistakes of all our players, but when he makes some big hits, which i like ofcourse, does not mean he is playing well....our secundary has been getting burned often to were he is,or should be...i'll take a healthy Tank williams over him any day...
    Jordy how many games have you seen this year? To me it sounds like you seen the packer game, the Jets game, and the Pastriots game. Those are the games we got torched for points or big plays. 3 out of 14 games. I wacth the games and he's played exeptionally well all year. Infact he's been one of the most consistent players week in and week out along with Fat Pat, Winfield, Leber, and EJ.

Its time to face it Tank is two surgueries into his knee, Smith has been healthy his whole career. I'll take the guy who can stay healthy year in year out.

i have watched about every game this season, exept the cards game and one against the lions, and i am just not impressed with Smith...he can run stop, thats for sure...but he is not a great cover guy...and like i said, i will take a healthy Tank williams over him, and with Tank williams beeing out, we had to do it with smith this year, i dont think we should do that next year...why not draft a good ss next year with our 1st or 2nd pick?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Longwell definitely has a better passer rating than Edinger.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    Longwell definitely has a better passer rating than Edinger.
    also his stance doesn't scare me when he kicks.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"jordy" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "jordy" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    "V-Unit" wrote:
    I honestly don't think that we got any better replacing Edinger or Chavous. We could just have easily signed both of them back and gotten the same production especially considering that Edinger had played with Kluwe for a year and Chavous had played with Winfield, Smoot, and Sharper for a couple of years.

Smith has been not special, and Longwell hasn't shown me he can do anything that Edinger couldn't. Maybe I should have been paying less attention to Hank Baskett and more to us letting Edinger go. Thoughts?
    I think Smith has played very well this year. He has had some very good plays and has proven to be good in coverage and run support. IMO, he's been much better than Chavous and he's much younger too.

i dont see how you can say smith has been good this year...why? because he can hit people? this huy has made the most coverage mistakes of all our players, but when he makes some big hits, which i like ofcourse, does not mean he is playing well....our secundary has been getting burned often to were he is,or should be...i'll take a healthy Tank williams over him any day...
    Jordy how many games have you seen this year? To me it sounds like you seen the packer game, the Jets game, and the Pastriots game. Those are the games we got torched for points or big plays. 3 out of 14 games. I wacth the games and he's played exeptionally well all year. Infact he's been one of the most consistent players week in and week out along with Fat Pat, Winfield, Leber, and EJ.

Its time to face it Tank is two surgueries into his knee, Smith has been healthy his whole career. I'll take the guy who can stay healthy year in year out.

i have watched about every game this season, exept the cards game and one against the lions, and i am just not impressed with Smith...he can run stop, thats for sure...but he is not a great cover guy...and like i said, i will take a healthy Tank williams over him, and with Tank williams beeing out, we had to do it with smith this year, i dont think we should do that next year...why not draft a good ss next year with our 1st or 2nd pick?
    I garuntee you Chavous wasn't great either and Tank isn't really known for his coverage skills either. Personally i think Tank would have done well but he can't stay healthy.

Like someone else said the pressure with our front four has been hidious this year. All our sacks are when we send our LB's out of coverage. Good thing our LB's are good at rushing the QB. Udeze has zero sacks, K Will has slowed down and for some reason Ray Edwards is not playing enough. Either way that kills the guys in the secondary the cover two will break down we need more help from the front four.

I really don't know why Dwight Smith would be the target, Smoots play has been porus.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Good points, all, for sure. Here's my opinion, for what it's worth:

1) I have never seen Tank Williams play, so I can't comment on him. I think Smith has been solid, if not spectacular.

2) I think Longwell is an upgrade from Edinger in FG, but not any better on kickoffs like Singer said.

So it's a push, leaning toward Smith and Longwell.
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast