Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Smith/Longwell vs. Chavous/Edinger

I honestly don't think that we got any better replacing Edinger or Chavous. We could just have easily signed both of them back and gotten the same production especially considering that Edinger had played with Kluwe for a year and Chavous had played with Winfield, Smoot, and Sharper for a couple of years.

Smith has been not special, and Longwell hasn't shown me he can do anything that Edinger couldn't. Maybe I should have been paying less attention to Hank Baskett and more to us letting Edinger go. Thoughts?
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Smith/Longwell vs. Chavous/Edinger

First off, If memory serves me correctly, Chavous wanted to leave the Vikings.. Corey Chavous is not doing that much for St. Louis, so it is hard to compare him and Smith.. We got burned just as bad in our secondary with Chavous back there..

Also, Longwell has done more in his career then Edinger has.. Lonwell is here kicking FG's, and Edinger is not even in football this season.. So if I had to say anything, I say we are better off now..

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"V-Unit" wrote:
    I honestly don't think that we got any better replacing Edinger or Chavous. We could just have easily signed both of them back and gotten the same production especially considering that Edinger had played with Kluwe for a year and Chavous had played with Winfield, Smoot, and Sharper for a couple of years.

Smith has been not special, and Longwell hasn't shown me he can do anything that Edinger couldn't. Maybe I should have been paying less attention to Hank Baskett and more to us letting Edinger go. Thoughts?
    I think Smith has played very well this year. He has had some very good plays and has proven to be good in coverage and run support. IMO, he's been much better than Chavous and he's much younger too.

I think we made a HUGE upgrade in Longwell over Edinger. Edinger made one or two nice kicks last year, some of which were game winners, but he was inconsistent. Longwell has had a great year. Look at their numbers:

Edinger: 25/34 74%

Longwell: 21-25 84%

The biggest gap comes from the 30-39 yards away, which is pretty important in field goal kicking. Longwell is 8-8 while Edinger was only 3-8 last year. IMO, Longwell was a vast improvement.

Besides, what does punter/kicker rapport have to do with anything?

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

well i really wanted to see tank in the secondary but i still think smith is an upgrade

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

If Tank wouldn't have gotten hurt, I think he would have been very good for us.. That somebitch can hit like a mack truck.. I would have loved his intensity out there for us.. We will see him next season, barring any injuries..

I know he was only signed to a 1 year deal, but I think he will be given another chance..

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Longwell has been a stud. He threw that pass in the first half of the year!

I'm happy with Smith seems solid.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

jordy is offline Rookie

"Ltrey" wrote:
    "V-Unit" wrote:

I think Smith has played very well this year. He has had some very good plays and has proven to be good in coverage and run support. IMO, he's been much better than Chavous and he's much younger too.

i dont see how you can say smith has been good this year...why? because he can hit people? this huy has made the most coverage mistakes of all our players, but when he makes some big hits, which i like ofcourse, does not mean he is playing well....our secundary has been getting burned often to were he is,or should be...i'll take a healthy Tank williams over him any day...

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"V-Unit" wrote:

I was a happy camper to see chavous leave, i didn't like his fenese play. He got run over way to much to be a Strong Safety. So if you ask me i think Dwight Smith was a great pickup, he's a great hitter, he tackles up real well in the open field you see the guy has pretty amazing strength, like a LB. His coverage i think could get better but its not horrible, i know we get passed on alot but we never give up big plays and he's only given up one big play for a TD in 14 games. I can remember countless times getting mad at chavous for blown coverage.

My buddy is a Rams fan he sees all there games and he's not too overly impressed with him. He gets ran over alot, he's not near the hard hitting Smith. I like my SS's to be beasts. I watched Chavous play the bears the other night and he had some solid plays, nothing that would make highlight videos. Smith has had some pics this year probably 3 or 4. I think we gained on this, espacially him knowing the scheme since he played under Tomlin. He's a talktive guy you also see him chatting to the DB's, i'm sure he's helped them alot. I think we made a great investmant in him, espacially for the price we payed. All in all i've seen all the games and Smith has had some really good games, he's definitly part of the #1 rushing defense. He's doin his job.

I don't even know if Edinger is in the league, Longwell has played really good for us this year, he missed one Sunday but really thats one of the couple misses he has this year. I feel comfortable with him kicking the football, he's a proven guy. This was also another smart pickup by Childress.

If you want to talk guys we should have kept lets talk Brian Williams. Fred Smoot has been awful this year, i think just about everyone has come to that conclusion. He's up there with Brad. If only we would have gave his money to Williams. I'm guesing that with Smoots contract we couldn't afford to pay him. The only thing that easies me about letting Williams go is Cedric Grifith, he's played great considering he's a rookie. He makes smoot look bad. If we had kept Brian Williams i say we have at least the #3 defense in the league. I don't know what we are at after last weeks bashing but Smoot has givin up a shit load of yards, and thats what they go by.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"jordy" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    "V-Unit" wrote:

i dont see how you can say smith has been good this year...why? because he can hit people? this huy has made the most coverage mistakes of all our players, but when he makes some big hits, which i like ofcourse, does not mean he is playing well....our secundary has been getting burned often to were he is,or should be...i'll take a healthy Tank williams over him any day...
    Jordy how many games have you seen this year? To me it sounds like you seen the packer game, the Jets game, and the Pastriots game. Those are the games we got torched for points or big plays. 3 out of 14 games. I wacth the games and he's played exeptionally well all year. Infact he's been one of the most consistent players week in and week out along with Fat Pat, Winfield, Leber, and EJ.

Its time to face it Tank is two surgueries into his knee, Smith has been healthy his whole career. I'll take the guy who can stay healthy year in year out.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I think we remember the clutch Edinger kicks a lot, but Longwell has been great.

I do not see any problems at all with Smith.
    I like the guy.
    He is solid and aggressive.

I think we got better with these 2.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast