Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Smith, deserved the name whizzinator more than we knew!

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I made a mistake before, I stole chapstick from one of my classmates in kindergarten! I learned from my mistake however! That is the thing with pro athlete's, they don't learn from their mistakes and they keep doing the same sh!t over and over because they think they are "untouchable" to the rest of the real world. I have no problem when someone makes a mistake ONCE, but when they repeat the same thing four times over, them it becomes a problem! So lay off us for ripping on him!
    That would be pro athletes (plural, not possessive), teach! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

yea I have made my share of mistakes....when I was a kid I peed off the deck of our apartment right on some lady's head....but then again I was like 7 years old and with only 1 bathroom in the house occupied, i can't blame myself for much except for holding it too long
    i find it funny that when faced with the idea that everyone makes mistakes, you choose to sort of make a joke and tell everyone your mistake from when you were a little boy. why is this?
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Prophet Guest

"happy camper" wrote:
    We offered help and you refused it.
    how do you know these things? how do you know he refused help? he may have tried getting helped and it may not have worked.

Tice is an idiot for saying he will keep him on the team without certain conditions attached to that statement....like going through a treatment program.
    how do you know there are not certain conditions on his contract? have you talked to tice? is there an article somewhere i dont know about? how do you know for sure smith hasnt been on a treatment plan?

dont just make stuff up, dude. yeah, the things you highlighted above could be true. but you dont know them for fact. not everything is reported to the media.
    Do you really think that a person that is getting paid millions of dollars and is suspended for a year and the coach of the team is interested in keeping him on the squad is not doing everything in their power to help him get his act together? That would be insane. Part of the deal for a drug suspension in the NFL is for the player to get help...it's not just a suspension of time. Check out the rules at the NFLPA website.

Besides, I am the Prophet. I know. :lol:

Prophet Guest

If you want a less reliable source, here's a quote from the Star & Trib, "The whole policy is set up to help the player," Vikings offensive coordinator Steve Loney said after practice at developmental camp Tuesday. "And I think when things like this happen you have to first think of the player. Your thoughts don't go to the team, but certainly there are some issues that Onterrio individually will work through. ... We first off hate for him as an individual to have to go through this, but certainly I know the league and the organization will, according to the policy, do all that we can to help him to overcome his problems."

Link

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

"Prophet" wrote:
    "happy camper" wrote:
    We offered help and you refused it.
    how do you know these things? how do you know he refused help? he may have tried getting helped and it may not have worked.

Tice is an idiot for saying he will keep him on the team without certain conditions attached to that statement....like going through a treatment program.
    how do you know there are not certain conditions on his contract? have you talked to tice? is there an article somewhere i dont know about? how do you know for sure smith hasnt been on a treatment plan?

dont just make stuff up, dude. yeah, the things you highlighted above could be true. but you dont know them for fact. not everything is reported to the media.
    Do you really think that a person that is getting paid millions of dollars and is suspended for a year and the coach of the team is interested in keeping him on the squad is not doing everything in their power to help him get his act together? That would be insane. Part of the deal for a drug suspension in the NFL is for the player to get help...it's not just a suspension of time. Check out the rules at the NFLPA website.

Besides, I am the Prophet. I know. :lol:
    maybe i worded it wrong.

i never doubted tice is trying to get him help. the part im curious about is how you said smith "refuses" to take the help and how you said tice is an idiot to keep him under contract without applying certain conditions to his contract.

i understand the suspension part and how they have to get help. what i dont understand was when you said smith refused it when you said tice isnt having him go through treatment.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Prophet Guest

"happy camper" wrote:
    i never doubted tice is trying to get him help. the part im curious about is how you said smith "refuses" to take the help and how you said tice is an idiot to keep him under contract without applying certain conditions to his contract.

i understand the suspension part and how they have to get help. what i dont understand was when you said smith refused it when you said tice isnt having him go through treatment.
    You must be talking about this excerpt:

Tice said Smith is a part of the team in a recent interview and didn't have any conditions attached to his statement.

Q: Any reaction to the leagues action to suspend Onterrio Smith for a year?
    A: Well, I think the most important thing for Onterrio is he and his family, us his other family, his extended family have identified that he needs to go and take care of some things. We'll be there to support him and (we're) looking forward to having him back in a year that much more mature and that much smarter. Contrary to what's written. I don't understand when it's written by people that everything should be punishment and wash your hands of people because I don't think anybody that writes those things would do that with their children. I certainly would not do that with my children or my extended children (the players).
    Link

No, I don't know the exact words of the contract but I've seen it paraphrased. Smith received a $330,000 signing bonus and the team can recover one-third of that money due to the suspension. Mike Florio did a reasonable job explaining the situation at PFT back on May 22, 2005:
    SMITH OWES VIKES $110,000?

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in the wake of the Whizzinator's pending one-year suspension is that the Minnesota Vikings likely could, if they so choose, attempt to recover more than $100,000 in signing bonus money paid to Onterrio Smith in 2003.

Smith, a fourth-round pick, received a $330,000 signing bonus on a three-year deal. His suspension for the entire 2005 season permits the team to recover one third of his bonus money, assuming that the team included now-standard language in his contract requiring a reimbursement of contract money if the player gets suspended for violation of the substance-abuse policy.

So given Smith's lost salary of $380,000 in 2005, his four lost game checks in 2004 due to a suspension ($71,764), and the bonus money that the team could recover for the 2005 suspension ($110,000), Smith's substance-abuse issues might end up costing him over $560,000 -- which equates to more than 45 percent of the total value of his rookie contract.

And although the Vikings aren't permitted to release or otherwise discipline Smith due to his propensity for positive tests, the fact that his contract expires after the 2005 season permits the team to walk away, if it so chooses, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Maybe the Broncos would be interested.

The Vikings also could throw a low-end tender on Smith for the 2006 season, making him a restricted free agent. And we can't imagine anyone signing him to an offer sheet, given his history.

Except maybe the Broncos.
    Link

The other part of my quote:

There is no chance he would be on the payroll if I was the owner of the team, period. He would have been given a warning before his initial signing due to his past history. If I would have been feeling generous I might have given him another chance after the whizinator incident(probably not). I would would for sure let him walk after the elevator incident.
    was simply referring to a condition that I would have in the contract. I would explicitly state that all suspensions are not created equally with help from my gifted attorneys.

Either way, the Vikes can make him walk without suffering damages to the cap after this year if it's monetary issues people are interested in.

Personally, I say keep as many serious players without baggage on the teams. He was given a fresh start with the Vikings and he needs to be let go.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Yeah, I was really ready to tear into Smith for doing drugs, marking his territory in an elevator, and causing a fake schlong around the country.

I guess I should have more empathy for a guy that the Vikings pay millions too and expect to play by the rules on the league.

I must have been smoking dope too.

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Yeah, I was really ready to tear into Smith for doing drugs, marking his territory in an elevator, and causing a fake schlong around the country.

I guess I should have more empathy for a guy that the Vikings pay millions too and expect to play by the rules on the league.

I must have been smoking dope too.

You hit it right on the head....people these days feel soooo sorry for these pro athletes who do moronic things....I can be critical and I will be....if his life sooo bad now that I dissed him on a message board, no! The guys is a millionaire, probably somewhere in Florida sippin margaritas right now....and if he isnt, he could be, so I feel no sympathy for him.....does he get paid millions to be the "whizzinator" ? NO.

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

If he wanted to do stupid things and take a job that is not in the media spotlihgt, he shoulda got a job at McDonalds!

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

"happy camper" wrote:

Truth is, Smith needs help....he hasn't seeked it yet, and he just took a piss on an elevator.....I would diss him no matter what (pro athlete or not).....people do make mistakes, but then they face the consequences.....a consequence of pissing on an elevator when you're a famous pro athlete who just got suspended for having a fake weiner and dried piss in your bag: getting dissed by millions of people across the country, on every message board and sports radio show all over the United States........thats just the way it is.....

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast