Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Who would you rather have on your team ?
    End of debate.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Ha, Singer only looks at Peterson's past three years? Once again, Singer's Peterson-hate parade continues.
    Once again CmacD comes in in the middle of a movie & pretends to know what's going on.

Perhaps using AD's last 3 years only has something to do with the claim....

"AD has averaged more yards per carry in the last three years facing 8 men in the box, than McCoy or Johnson have during their entire careers"

In order to verify it one would take AD's YPC over the last 3 years against McCoy & Johnson's career averages. Understand?

BTW, I don't hate AD. I'm just not going to pretend he doesn't make mistakes, is perfect at every aspect of the running game or that no one can out perform him.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Not if you want to compare apples to apples

Johnson in the last 3 years is 4.2

5.6 > 4.3 > 2.8 average is 4.2

I don't think thats higher than 4.6 but I might be missing something with selective math/stat keeping
    Were not comparing apples to apples. This is the problem when only the last quote gets shown & not all the quotes quoted.

What is trying to be proven or debunked is this;

AD has averaged more yards per carry in the last three years facing 8 men in the box, than McCoy or Johnson have during their entire careers

Now, rework your numbers using that.

Quote Originally Posted by NDVikingFan66 View Post
    You cant take an average for each year, total them, and divide by 3. That is not a Yards Per Carry Average. That is a season average

Total Rushing Yards divided by total number of rushing attempts gives you a Yards Per Carry Average.

Here you go

Carries Yards
    McCoy 2009 135 754
    2010 207 1080
    2011 155 637
    3 Yr Total 497 2471 4.971830986 Average

Johnson 2009 107 302
    2010 316 1364
    2011 358 2006
    3 Yr Total 781 3672 4.701664533 Average

Peterson 2009 167 798
    2010 283 1298
    2011 314 1383
    3 Yr Total 764 3479 4.553664921 Average

Based on Yards Per Carry only, McCoy would be the better statistical back. That is why stats only tell part of the story.

Make sense.
    Again, this is what is trying to be proven or debunked;

AD has averaged more yards per carry in the last three years facing 8 men in the box, than McCoy or Johnson have during their entire careers

Ergo, use AD's avg the last 3 years against McCoy's & Johnson's career avgs.

Quote Originally Posted by NDVikingFan66 View Post
    You cant take an average for each year, total them, and divide by 3. That is not a Yards Per Carry Average. That is a season average.

Peterson 2009 167 798
    2010 283 1298
    2011 314 1383
    3 Yr Total 764 3479 4.553664921 Average
    (2011 & 2009 are flip-flopped)

4.553664921 rounds off to be 4.6 doesn't it?
    Last edited by singersp; 11-05-2011 at 07:15 AM.

Outside of Rosenthal throwing the Vikings under the bus I like this because;

A. It shows, contrary to some fans beliefs, AD is not the only RB to face 8 man fronts.

B. A. It shows, contrary to some fans beliefs, AD does not face 8 man fronts on every carry. 59 times in 167 attempts is 35% of the time. 65% of the time he does not.

C. If our QB & receiving corp can start getting more passes deeper or into an area of the field that pulls the 8th man out of the box, we'll get a lot more production out of AD that 35% of the time. If they elect to keep 8 men in the box, we should be torching them with more passing TD's, provided our WR's could get separation & catch the passes.

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    Peterson has beeen the best running, running back since entering the league. Peterson is still getting better. Being a Viking fan ..... I still think he has a lot of years ahead of him and he will continue to get even better. I think overall when it's all said and done he will be remembered long after these other two backs.

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Once again CmacD comes in in the middle of a movie & pretends to know what's going on.

Perhaps using AD's last 3 years only has something to do with the claim....

"AD has averaged more yards per carry in the last three years facing 8 men in the box, than McCoy or Johnson have during their entire careers"

In order to verify it one would take AD's YPC over the last 3 years against McCoy & Johnson's career averages. Understand?

BTW, I don't hate AD. I'm just not going to pretend he doesn't make mistakes, is perfect at every aspect of the running game or that no one can out perform him.
    Wow, thanks for the serious misquote. It's not obvious at all that you changed it to make your argument valid.

What I really said:

"It's never said that he has faced 8 in the box on 95% of plays, for the last 3 seasons, and STILL averages more yards per carry than Chris Johnson and LeSean McCoy in their careers."

At the time of my post, it was a fact. McCoy's YPC has since raised since his last game. But that's besides the point. I didn't ever say "In the last 3 seasons, AP has more YPC". I said that he has faced 8 men in the box on 95% of plays the passed 3 seasons, and STILL has more YPC in his career than those 2 backs. Which is completely true and you know it. You've seen the games. You may have misunderstood my initial statement, but that doesn't give you the right to misquote me to prove your point. C'mon now.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    Wow, thanks for the serious misquote. It's not obvious at all that you changed it to make your argument valid.

What I really said:

"It's never said that he has faced 8 in the box on 95% of plays, for the last 3 seasons, and STILL averages more yards per carry than Chris Johnson and LeSean McCoy in their careers."

At the time of my post, it was a fact. McCoy's YPC has since raised since his last game. But that's besides the point.
    Umm, again no.

Your post was made just 5 days ago on Wednesday 11/2/11. No games were played since then that "upped" any ones stats in any of the subsequent posts unless there was a Wednesday night game I didn't know about.

I didn't ever say "In the last 3 seasons, AP has more YPC". I said that he has faced 8 men in the box on 95% of plays the passed 3 seasons, and STILL has more YPC in his career than those 2 backs. Which is completely true and you know it. You've seen the games. You may have misunderstood my initial statement, but that doesn't give you the right to misquote me to prove your point. C'mon now.
    When I read ďhe has faced 8 in the box on 95% of plays, for the last 3 seasons, and STILL averages more yards per carry than Chris Johnson and LeSean McCoy in their careers." I took that as you claiming that AD had more average yards during those 3 years he faced 8 men in the box than than Chris Johnson and LeSean McCoy did during their careers.

I didn't ever say "In the last 3 seasons, AP has more YPC". I said that he has faced 8 men in the box on 95% of plays the passed 3 seasons, and STILL has more YPC in his career than those 2 backs. Which is completely true and you know it. You've seen the games.
    Umm, again no. Itís not completely true

Hereís the career average of all 3 RBís. Entire careers this time, unless your going to mean something else in your next post.

LeSean McCoy: 5.0
    LeSean McCoy, RB for the Philadelphia Eagles at NFL.com

Adrian Peterson: 4.8
    Adrian Peterson, RB for the Minnesota Vikings at NFL.com

Chris Johnson: 4.7
    Chris Johnson, RB for the Tennessee Titans at NFL.com

The only thing that' changes is AD averages more YPC than Johnson.

McCoy STILL averages more YPC than AD has over the course of their careers. Ergo your statement that AD STILL has more YPC in his career than both those backs, is false.
    Last edited by singersp; 11-07-2011 at 07:20 AM.

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    Something to think about. Answer honestly. If Philly or Tenn could trade even, back for back, with us would they do it. I think most people would agree McCoy or Johnson even up for AD that's a trade both of those teams would take All Day. And I think that would end this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by thorshammer View Post
    Something to think about. Answer honestly. If Philly or Tenn could trade even, back for back, with us would they do it. I think most people would agree McCoy or Johnson even up for AD that's a trade both of those teams would take All Day. And I think that would end this discussion.
    I don't think the Eagles would make the deal. Why would they?

Right now the Eagles are getting more production out of McCoy than the Vikings are out of AD. Plus, if the number of receptions are any indication, McCoy has better hands than AD & therefore is more versatile in the offense.

Add to that that McCoy is only in his 3rd year, 2nd as a major starter, of his career & AD is in his 5th.

Then look at salaries;

McCoy 2011: $490,000, 2012: $575,000

AD 2011: $8.25 million, 2012: $8 million, 2013: $11.25 million, 2014: $11.75 million

Why would the Eagles pay $7.5+ million more per year for similar production for a RB who probably has less years left in his career? Who would they cut to make the cap room?

McCoy has more yards, more YPC, more TD's & less fumbles in as many touches as AD does.

If it isn't broke, don't try & fix it.
    Last edited by singersp; 11-08-2011 at 07:49 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast