Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Sizing up the Vikes roster

[size=18px]Column: Sizing up the Vikes roster[/size]

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 9:40 AM CDT
    Jeff Budlong, On the Rebound
    The Albert Lea Tribune

With NFL training camps opening en masse this week I figured now was the time to look at the Minnesota Vikings' roster and see what they will have to work with in Mankato before the real hitting starts.

The biggest plus no matter who is or isn't on the roster this season is no boat scandal to worry about. Head coach Brad Childress has put his stamp on the Vikes without a lot of controversy to go with it which is nice for a change.

Here we go.

Quarterback Brad Johnson is the starter. The positives are his experience - a proven Super Bowl winner - and his ability to lead, but if you look at the depth chart his age (37) has to worry you. Johnson did well last season - albeit against non-playoff teams - but in today's NFL you better have two experienced QBs ready to go.

The Vikes currently have Mike McMahon who is no Jim and not as entertaining as Vince. J.T. O'Sullivan has been tagged as a QB with talent but has never shown it. Finally, there is draftee Tarvaris Jackson who is being groomed as the successor, but this is not the year for him to take over.

Running back - I love Chester Taylor and think he was the steal of the summer. So needless to say I think the Vikes will be O.K. No more having to worry about Michael Bennett's health or Onterrio's Whizzinator. Mewelde Moore and Ciatrick Fason should see their fair share of carries and Tony Richardson is a solid vet.

Wide receiver - Koren Robinson is coming off an all-pro season, but his past will always be a concern. So fans have to hope Troy Williamson has a big sophomore improvement after being drafted to replace Randy Moss and coming up just a little more than short. Travis Taylor has proven he is not a No. 1 but hopefully he can be a solid contributor this season.

Tight end - Jermaine Wiggins and Jim Kleinsasser make this a position of strength for Minnesota and that is important allowing Johnson to get rid of the football fast if he is feeling the pressure.

Offensive line - Matt Birk is back which is a big positive if he reverts back to his pre-injury form. Also the Vikes made their biggest splash in free agency right here by locking up road grader Steve Hutchinson.

Defensive end - A healthy Erasmus James and Kenechi Udeze would really help the Vikes. When you spend high first round draft choices on ends you have to be looking for more than what these two have given. Ray Edwards is a rookie to keep an eye on.

Defensive tackle - The Williams boys (Pat and Kevin) will need to have a strong season as they will be responsible for helping keep the linebackers clean and able to pursue to the ball and make plays for the defense.

Linebacker - Napoleon Harris, E.J. Henderson, Ben Leber and Dontarrious Thomas along with rookie Chad Greenway are a group that needs to step up and make more plays then they have in the past. An improved pass rush up front would help.

Defensive backs - Fred Smoot better have a bounce back year because the high priced free agent from a year ago got burned early and often.

Antonie Winfield may be small but he is productive and can hit. Darren Sharper is a veteran at the safety position but he looked good last year. The other spot is not as solid with rookie Greg Blue a possibility.

Kickers - The Vikes look to be pretty solid with Ryan Longwell kicking the field goals and Chris Kluwe booming the punts.

(Sports editor Jeff Budlong's column runs every Wednesday.)

Published: Jul 26, 2006 - 09:40:58 am CDT

Column: Sizing up the Vikes roster

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Sizing up the Vikes roster

I like what he said about RB. I hope Chester is the steal of the offseason!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Oh...I thought that this thread was about what Freya does every training camp! :razz:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Offensive line - Matt Birk is back which is a big positive if he reverts back to his pre-injury form. Also the Vikes made their biggest splash in free agency right here by locking up road grader Steve Hutchinson.

I hope a year off helped him be better than ever.

MaddenVodkaAddict is offline Coordinator

"singersp" wrote:

Antonie Winfield may be small but he is productive and can hit. Darren Sharper is a veteran at the safety position but he looked good last year. The other spot is not as solid with rookie Greg Blue a possibility.
    :?:
    I Love Kerry Collins (and John Rocker).

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

"maddenhasamancrushonfavre" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

:?:
    ~ Well, with D Smith coming aboard, this position should be shored up. Also, can't forget about Tank

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

[move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Man, can you picture that D-Line? Udeze, P Williams, K Williams, and James.. Then that secondary.. Winfield, Smoot, Sharper, Tank, and Smith.. This will be an impressive team this season..

vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer

wow i am excited

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

an impressive defense for sure. the offense im not sold on yet
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast