Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Sizing up FA's acquired by the Vikings - FA's have made an impact

[size=13pt]Sizing up free agents acquired by the Minnesota Vikings[/size]

A comparison of this season's Vikings free-agent acquisitions with last year's stellar class shows how uncertain the market is.

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Article Launched: 11/25/2007 12:01:00 AM CST

Heading into free agency last offseason, the Vikings were one of eight NFL teams with more than $30 million in salary-cap space...

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Re: Sizing up free agents acquired by the Vikings

Anyone who keeps calling last year's free agents a "weak FA class" needs to be slapped upside the head.
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I have never witnessed a more disappointing offseason than our last one.
    Not even when I take Peterson into account.
    The ToA passed on some talented, game-changing players to focus their efforts on overpaying guys who "fit our system."
    (Though I do like Shiancoe, it's absolutely undeniable that we overpaid him).
    Can you imagine how much better we might be if our front office didn't have their heads up Childress's ass?

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Won't let me read the article I don't have a subscription

But i'm pretty happy with our FA's personally

Shank and Wade are pretty solid for us

It was a weak class I agree

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

It was a very weak FA class.
    If anyone can't see that then they are either blind or 95.67% Insane.
    Kevin Curtis was one of the "premier" FA WRs in the offseason.
    While I do agree that he would have been an upgrade to our WR corp, he would have only been good - not great - in any other FA.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I think we are doing a great job in FA's since Childress has been here.

Starting last year with Leber and Taylor who both make a big impact on the team. Then we go out and get Shancoe who hasn't dropped a football this year and has some explosion at the position, a better runner after the catch than i expected and a good blocker,
    an all around player who will continue to improve. Wade has been alright with exeption of some drops but works the field well. Vinny was quiet at first but he's making noise on specail teams, I'm starting to see what Childress seen in him when we picked him up.

I'm very exited for next years FA and Draft. I like the fact that Childress grabs players you wouldn't expect. He does his homework.

Someone could make the arguement that we have over payed but thats just that everyone is overpaying in FA. Plus its just Shancoe's first season and our passing game is starting to come along.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    I think we are doing a great job in FA's since Childress has been here.

Starting last year with Leber and Taylor who both make a big impact on the team. Then we go out and get Shancoe who hasn't dropped a football this year and has some explosion at the position, a better runner after the catch than i expected and a good blocker,
    an all around player who will continue to improve. Wade has been alright with exeption of some drops but works the field well. Vinny was quiet at first but he's making noise on specail teams, I'm starting to see what Childress seen in him when we picked him up.

I'm very exited for next years FA and Draft. I like the fact that Childress grabs players you wouldn't expect. He does his homework.

Someone could make the arguement that we have over payed but thats just that everyone is overpaying in FA. Plus its just Shancoe's first season and our passing game is starting to come along.
    Although the Chiller should get a bit of the credit, in fact, more of the credit goes to the scouting/player personnel dept and not the head coach.

The coaching staff sets the scheme and types of players they need, the rest of the staff find the right guys that fit it and then the CAP guru (Bryzcheapski) signs them if they are withing our budget.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

I don't see how anyone can be happy with Wade and Shank's performances. They were brought in to be offensive weapons. They have been good blockers, but nothing more. Sure it was a weak FA class, but that does not excuse the lack of impact they have had on our offense. The biggest factors on our offense have been AD, TJ slowly improving, and maybe Sidney Rice. Wade hasn't done much that Robert Ferguson can't, not has Shanl done anything that Kleinsasser isn't capable of.

Next year we need to be as agressive as possible, because I truly believe we are just a few players away.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"V" wrote:
    I don't see how anyone can be happy with Wade and Shank's performances. They were brought in to be offensive weapons. They have been good blockers, but nothing more. Sure it was a weak FA class, but that does not excuse the lack of impact they have had on our offense. The biggest factors on our offense have been AD, TJ slowly improving, and maybe Sidney Rice. Wade hasn't done much that Robert Ferguson can't, not has Shanl done anything that Kleinsasser isn't capable of.

Next year we need to be as agressive as possible, because I truly believe we are just a few players away.
    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=39986.msg679189#msg679189

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

Well, when you put it that way, those two have made impace play after impact play. We need to throw more to them, because they have had amazing seasons up to this point.

Realistically, we choose to run because we have don't have a strong passing attack. And for the record, saying they had a "yawn" game is the truth.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"V" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

Well, when you put it that way, those two have made impace play after impact play. We need to throw more to them, because they have had amazing seasons up to this point.

Realistically, we choose to run because we have don't have a strong passing attack. And for the record, saying they had a "yawn" game is the truth.
    You do a pretty good job of manipluating things.
    Nobody said they made "impact by after play."
    You come out and dog them for having a "yawn" game and how you cannot see how anybody should be happy with their performance.

I am saying the ball was only caught 10 times.
    How many chances were they given to have "impact plays?"
    Seems to me that when the ball came their way they did what they needed to do.

But, we should not be happy with that.
    Right.
    :

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast