Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Since I've been gone

    "VikemanX84" wrote:
    To be honest I remember thinking that on Brooks drive and Tarvaris' 4 pass attempts the WRs seemed to not make so many mistakes or drop passes as much. I think the entire offense looked much better with a different quarterback and I remember thinking that this had a lot to do with better ball placement.
    I know these Receivers are in the NFl and if it isn't a perfect pass they should still catch it.
    But our WRs need help from their quarterback and I don't think they got it from brad and were getting it from Brooks and Tarvaris.

    At the same time Dugan dropped a pretty gol 'darnit good ball from Johnson but he isn't very good.


    It could also be that the team was more energized by the change in quarterbacks and from that focused and tried harder.
    I think this is the best argument for a quarterback change. That a new guy might be able to energize a lifeless offense and get more out of the talent we do have. I think that in order to make a run at the playoffs we need some life and energy in this offense and Johnson can't give it but Tarvaris could.

    I think you're right. One guy especially the QB can change these things and that is what I am holding my breath for. Can he do enough to improve everyone? I would say the odds are against him, but as you noted you saw it yourself the whole team looked sharper.


  2. #12
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Since I've been gone

    I have yet to see even a single member of PP.O that wouldn't support TJ if he gets the nod.
    The gist of the argument lies in people's lack of confidence in Childress' decision on whether to start him or not, even though he is suppose to be specialized in QB development.
    All we know is what we have seen on the field and in print by the media hacks.

    There is no doubt that a change can apark a team and the stats and all the other crap we throw out there don't show the intangibles.
    We shall see what happens.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  3. #13
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Since I've been gone

    Heck, if we are gonna keep losing with BJ, we might as well put TJ in...he will at least get a taste of the NFL!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  4. #14
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Since I've been gone

    "Del" wrote:
    No football is math, and it is science, and it is a lot more complicated then most care to look into. You have 11 guys on the field and every single one of them has a job to do. If even one of those people fails it could result in poor play by all. It is called a margin of error and it exsists in every aspect of the game. It is coached, it is reviewed and it is most definately a main factor in decision making. Obviously I have absolutely no experience in the NFL, I do however sit in meetings after a loss or a win of my team and get to go over the margin of error.

    What went wrong? Why? Who? What happened? How did it effect the game? What can we do to fix it?

    You can have every single guy do the right thing except one and have a total failure on the play. Coaches, and players single out the problem while fans spout off about football being about getting it done and not getting it done. In the end that is all that matters, but getting to that end takes isolating the problem.

    Teams do not get magically better. They get better by identifying errors and correcting them and I am sorry, if your losing by 50 points a game your team has a whole hell of a lot more margin of error then if you lose by 5, it isn't flawed it is a fact.
    Given that you have experience coaching at the college level, even if it is a shithole minor league program
    ;D, says a lot.
    I have sat in on game analysis for a Div. I school and many of us have friends that are involved in coaching at the collegiate and professional levels and it is amazing to get a glimpse into what goes into planning for a game.
    I agree that sparks can happen with a change if that is the problem, but many times a person that doesn't seem like the flat out best player at the position gets the nod because he fits into the team's overall plan better.
    That happens in real life too, there may have been someone brighter than you that was considered for your job, but you got the job because of your personality or a host of other reasons.
    Let the games begin.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  5. #15
    Storm's Avatar
    Storm is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    492

    Re: Since I've been gone

    "Del" wrote:
    "Storm" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Storm" wrote:
    The "we lose by close margin" tune is getting pretty old. Seriously, no one cares. Point differencials dont mean jack in NFL. They dont matter for standings, they dont matter for tiebreakers, they just plain dont matter. If you cant find a way to win you still suck, be it 14-13 or 41-0. The former just means more heartbreak for the fans.
    It makes a big difference. Maybe not to you which doesn't matter anyway. To the coaches and to the decisions it makes it is huge.

    If your losing by less then one score and you lead the league in offensive penalties (Which we do) then it is all but certain those penalties affected the outcome of the game. Which in turn is probably why you don't see all the players that aren't hanging on posters on some fans walls getting benched just because some random guy says so.

    If your losing by 30 your getting your jiggly butt handed to you, if your losing by 5 your making mistakes. Wheather it gets old or not it is relevant.
    Except for you're wrong and your logic is flawed. See, football is not math, and you wont win by just adding penalty numbers from total yards and saying "oh look, if we had +60 yards we would've won". Thats bull shizzle. If you cant find a way to win with penalties, you will find a way to lose without 'em. First you need some one who can call plays. Thats a good start. Then you can work on discipline and only after that you start winning games.
    No football is math, and it is science, and it is a lot more complicated then most care to look into. You have 11 guys on the field and every single one of them has a job to do. If even one of those people fails it could result in poor play by all. It is called a margin of error and it exsists in every aspect of the game. It is coached, it is reviewed and it is most definately a main factor in decision making. Obviously I have absolutely no experience in the NFL, I do however sit in meetings after a loss or a win of my team and get to go over the margin of error.

    What went wrong? Why? Who? What happened? How did it effect the game? What can we do to fix it?

    You can have every single guy do the right thing except one and have a total failure on the play. Coaches, and players single out the problem while fans spout off about football being about getting it done and not getting it done. In the end that is all that matters, but getting to that end takes isolating the problem.

    Teams do not get magically better. They get better by identifying errors and correcting them and I am sorry, if your losing by 50 points a game your team has a whole hell of a lot more margin of error then if you lose by 5, it isn't flawed it is a fact.
    Still doesnt make sense. Teams can get blown out in one game and come back strong in the next one and win. Those are inconsistent teams. We're different, we just keep losing consistently. The argument boils down to the point that we are not getting blown out. Well whoopdiedoo, but are not winning either. Whatever goes on during the analysis and error correction proccess is obviously not working. When we try to correct one problem, ten others pop out. We try to mix in some deep passes only to discover that BJ cant throw. We shake up the o-line and it does well in one game, then its absolutely horrible in the next match. We keep calling the plays that our players CAN NOT execute. Basically, this team cant get its crap together. The point margin only matters when you take heart and learn from that close loss and come back strong. We are not doing that, we just keep losing. Sorry but I cant be too optimistic about my team when its in such situation. Not in this season.

  6. #16
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,599
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Since I've been gone

    "Acumen" wrote:
    I have yet to see even a single member of PP.O that wouldn't support TJ if he gets the nod.
    The gist of the argument lies in people's lack of confidence in Childress' decision on whether to start him or not, even though he is suppose to be specialized in QB development.
    All we know is what we have seen on the field and in print by the media hacks.

    There is no doubt that a change can apark a team and the stats and all the other crap we throw out there don't show the intangibles.
    We shall see what happens.
    Well put.
    Personally, I am itching to see TJ out there!
    If I find out come Sunday that TJ will be starting, I will probably do a little dance of joy (probably joined by my 3 year old, just because its fun).

    However, if Childress decides to start BJ, which I honestly expect, that I will be satisfied with the knowledge that he is fielding the best team we have available.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  7. #17
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Since I've been gone

    "Del" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    I imagine that when Tarvaris starts his performance will be very similar to Brads. The offense is horrible.
    I think you should re-phrase that to be:
    "The PASSING offense is horrible."
    I think the running attack has come together over the past month or so.

    =Z=
    That is true. Which is a testament to those guys considering everyone says no one respects our passing game so they are loading up on the run, so to improve in the run game is pretty impressive at this time of the season considering.

    Now why is it our lineman can block a run play but not a pass play? It seems to be a failure on all levels of the field. QB,WR,O-Line.
    Because run-blocking generally means "Hit the guy in front of you" while pass-blocking is more specific to the area you're blocking in while backing up.
    The momentum is always going backwards, which is tougher.
    Yes?

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  8. #18
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Since I've been gone

    "Storm" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Storm" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Storm" wrote:
    The "we lose by close margin" tune is getting pretty old. Seriously, no one cares. Point differencials dont mean jack in NFL. They dont matter for standings, they dont matter for tiebreakers, they just plain dont matter. If you cant find a way to win you still suck, be it 14-13 or 41-0. The former just means more heartbreak for the fans.
    It makes a big difference. Maybe not to you which doesn't matter anyway. To the coaches and to the decisions it makes it is huge.

    If your losing by less then one score and you lead the league in offensive penalties (Which we do) then it is all but certain those penalties affected the outcome of the game. Which in turn is probably why you don't see all the players that aren't hanging on posters on some fans walls getting benched just because some random guy says so.

    If your losing by 30 your getting your jiggly butt handed to you, if your losing by 5 your making mistakes. Wheather it gets old or not it is relevant.
    Except for you're wrong and your logic is flawed. See, football is not math, and you wont win by just adding penalty numbers from total yards and saying "oh look, if we had +60 yards we would've won". Thats bull shizzle. If you cant find a way to win with penalties, you will find a way to lose without 'em. First you need some one who can call plays. Thats a good start. Then you can work on discipline and only after that you start winning games.
    No football is math, and it is science, and it is a lot more complicated then most care to look into. You have 11 guys on the field and every single one of them has a job to do. If even one of those people fails it could result in poor play by all. It is called a margin of error and it exsists in every aspect of the game. It is coached, it is reviewed and it is most definately a main factor in decision making. Obviously I have absolutely no experience in the NFL, I do however sit in meetings after a loss or a win of my team and get to go over the margin of error.

    What went wrong? Why? Who? What happened? How did it effect the game? What can we do to fix it?

    You can have every single guy do the right thing except one and have a total failure on the play. Coaches, and players single out the problem while fans spout off about football being about getting it done and not getting it done. In the end that is all that matters, but getting to that end takes isolating the problem.

    Teams do not get magically better. They get better by identifying errors and correcting them and I am sorry, if your losing by 50 points a game your team has a whole hell of a lot more margin of error then if you lose by 5, it isn't flawed it is a fact.
    Still doesnt make sense. Teams can get blown out in one game and come back strong in the next one and win. Those are inconsistent teams. We're different, we just keep losing consistently. The argument boils down to the point that we are not getting blown out. Well whoopdiedoo, but are not winning either. Whatever goes on during the analysis and error correction proccess is obviously not working. When we try to correct one problem, ten others pop out. We try to mix in some deep passes only to discover that BJ cant throw. We shake up the o-line and it does well in one game, then its absolutely horrible in the next match. We keep calling the plays that our players CAN NOT execute. Basically, this team cant get its crap together. The point margin only matters when you take heart and learn from that close loss and come back strong. We are not doing that, we just keep losing. Sorry but I cant be too optimistic about my team when its in such situation. Not in this season.
    Your optimism is not really my concern, all I said was it is relevent. I still say it is and I always will.

  9. #19
    Storm's Avatar
    Storm is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    492

    Re: Since I've been gone

    "Del" wrote:
    "Storm" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Storm" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    [quote author=Storm link=topic=29704.msg506920#msg506920 date=1165514947]
    The "we lose by close margin" tune is getting pretty old. Seriously, no one cares. Point differencials dont mean jack in NFL. They dont matter for standings, they dont matter for tiebreakers, they just plain dont matter. If you cant find a way to win you still suck, be it 14-13 or 41-0. The former just means more heartbreak for the fans.
    It makes a big difference. Maybe not to you which doesn't matter anyway. To the coaches and to the decisions it makes it is huge.

    If your losing by less then one score and you lead the league in offensive penalties (Which we do) then it is all but certain those penalties affected the outcome of the game. Which in turn is probably why you don't see all the players that aren't hanging on posters on some fans walls getting benched just because some random guy says so.

    If your losing by 30 your getting your jiggly butt handed to you, if your losing by 5 your making mistakes. Wheather it gets old or not it is relevant.
    Except for you're wrong and your logic is flawed. See, football is not math, and you wont win by just adding penalty numbers from total yards and saying "oh look, if we had +60 yards we would've won". Thats bull shizzle. If you cant find a way to win with penalties, you will find a way to lose without 'em. First you need some one who can call plays. Thats a good start. Then you can work on discipline and only after that you start winning games.
    No football is math, and it is science, and it is a lot more complicated then most care to look into. You have 11 guys on the field and every single one of them has a job to do. If even one of those people fails it could result in poor play by all. It is called a margin of error and it exsists in every aspect of the game. It is coached, it is reviewed and it is most definately a main factor in decision making. Obviously I have absolutely no experience in the NFL, I do however sit in meetings after a loss or a win of my team and get to go over the margin of error.

    What went wrong? Why? Who? What happened? How did it effect the game? What can we do to fix it?

    You can have every single guy do the right thing except one and have a total failure on the play. Coaches, and players single out the problem while fans spout off about football being about getting it done and not getting it done. In the end that is all that matters, but getting to that end takes isolating the problem.

    Teams do not get magically better. They get better by identifying errors and correcting them and I am sorry, if your losing by 50 points a game your team has a whole hell of a lot more margin of error then if you lose by 5, it isn't flawed it is a fact.
    Still doesnt make sense. Teams can get blown out in one game and come back strong in the next one and win. Those are inconsistent teams. We're different, we just keep losing consistently. The argument boils down to the point that we are not getting blown out. Well whoopdiedoo, but are not winning either. Whatever goes on during the analysis and error correction proccess is obviously not working. When we try to correct one problem, ten others pop out. We try to mix in some deep passes only to discover that BJ cant throw. We shake up the o-line and it does well in one game, then its absolutely horrible in the next match. We keep calling the plays that our players CAN NOT execute. Basically, this team cant get its crap together. The point margin only matters when you take heart and learn from that close loss and come back strong. We are not doing that, we just keep losing. Sorry but I cant be too optimistic about my team when its in such situation. Not in this season.
    Your optimism is not really my concern, all I said was it is relevent. I still say it is and I always will.
    [/quote]

    Well, what you said doesnt really matter to me either. You can keep preaching that losing close games is great, but again, in NFL - no one cares how close that loss was.

  10. #20
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Since I've been gone

    "Storm" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Storm" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Storm" wrote:
    [quote author=Del Rio link=topic=29704.msg506927#msg506927 date=1165515206]
    [quote author=Storm link=topic=29704.msg506920#msg506920 date=1165514947]
    The "we lose by close margin" tune is getting pretty old. Seriously, no one cares. Point differencials dont mean jack in NFL. They dont matter for standings, they dont matter for tiebreakers, they just plain dont matter. If you cant find a way to win you still suck, be it 14-13 or 41-0. The former just means more heartbreak for the fans.
    It makes a big difference. Maybe not to you which doesn't matter anyway. To the coaches and to the decisions it makes it is huge.

    If your losing by less then one score and you lead the league in offensive penalties (Which we do) then it is all but certain those penalties affected the outcome of the game. Which in turn is probably why you don't see all the players that aren't hanging on posters on some fans walls getting benched just because some random guy says so.

    If your losing by 30 your getting your jiggly butt handed to you, if your losing by 5 your making mistakes. Wheather it gets old or not it is relevant.
    Except for you're wrong and your logic is flawed. See, football is not math, and you wont win by just adding penalty numbers from total yards and saying "oh look, if we had +60 yards we would've won". Thats bull shizzle. If you cant find a way to win with penalties, you will find a way to lose without 'em. First you need some one who can call plays. Thats a good start. Then you can work on discipline and only after that you start winning games.
    No football is math, and it is science, and it is a lot more complicated then most care to look into. You have 11 guys on the field and every single one of them has a job to do. If even one of those people fails it could result in poor play by all. It is called a margin of error and it exsists in every aspect of the game. It is coached, it is reviewed and it is most definately a main factor in decision making. Obviously I have absolutely no experience in the NFL, I do however sit in meetings after a loss or a win of my team and get to go over the margin of error.

    What went wrong? Why? Who? What happened? How did it effect the game? What can we do to fix it?

    You can have every single guy do the right thing except one and have a total failure on the play. Coaches, and players single out the problem while fans spout off about football being about getting it done and not getting it done. In the end that is all that matters, but getting to that end takes isolating the problem.

    Teams do not get magically better. They get better by identifying errors and correcting them and I am sorry, if your losing by 50 points a game your team has a whole hell of a lot more margin of error then if you lose by 5, it isn't flawed it is a fact.
    Still doesnt make sense. Teams can get blown out in one game and come back strong in the next one and win. Those are inconsistent teams. We're different, we just keep losing consistently. The argument boils down to the point that we are not getting blown out. Well whoopdiedoo, but are not winning either. Whatever goes on during the analysis and error correction proccess is obviously not working. When we try to correct one problem, ten others pop out. We try to mix in some deep passes only to discover that BJ cant throw. We shake up the o-line and it does well in one game, then its absolutely horrible in the next match. We keep calling the plays that our players CAN NOT execute. Basically, this team cant get its crap together. The point margin only matters when you take heart and learn from that close loss and come back strong. We are not doing that, we just keep losing. Sorry but I cant be too optimistic about my team when its in such situation. Not in this season.
    Your optimism is not really my concern, all I said was it is relevent. I still say it is and I always will.
    [/quote]

    Well, what you said doesnt really matter to me either. You can keep preaching that losing close games is great, but again, in NFL - no one cares how close that loss was.
    [/quote]

    No one that matters does.
    You can keep putting words in my mouth all you want too. I never said losing close games is great, I said it is relevant. It is relevant to the development of our team and how close we are to being able to turn this around. Just because it doesn't make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside doesn't mean it isn't true.

    And from your ability to try and put words in my mouth it seems you have more of a problem with what you think people believe and what they actually told you they believe. Which is a pretty amazing feat considering everything is typed out for the world to see.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •