Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,433

    Since I've been gone

    So I've actually had some work to do at work these last couple weeks and so I haven't been able to post very much.
    But now things here are back to being slow so I thought I would drop by and do some good old fashioned debating on football.

    Good Things:

    1.
    Our offensive line totally dominated the Bears line this last week.
    That was fun to watch and the running game was so good. Things worked out well against AZ too.

    2.
    Our defense is tough as hell.
    Run on us?
    No way.
    I love the way every single player on our defense can play the rush.
    D-Ends, Safety's, CBs, and LBs are all very good at it and that what it takes to be this dominant.
    The pass is ranked poorly but the numbers are skewed.
    We need more depth at the CB position to counter the 4 and 5 wide sets.

    Bad Things.

    1. Brad Childress - I couldn't believe that against the Bears we were averaging 6 yards a carry.
    Add that to windy and cold conditions, a bad quarterback, and a bad group of WRs I don't think there was a reason in heaven to have passed the ball on Brad Johnson's final 2 INTs.
    At best it was going to destroy our momentum running the ball and it ended up costing us the game.
    Bad Play calling but he never was a play caller.
    I think we're a victum of his ego again in this department as he thought he should be able to call plays in Philly so he did it here and he sucks at it.
    He needs to bring in an O-Cordinator who can call plays.


    2. Brad Johnson.
    He is the other place we are victum to Childress' ego.
    He made a decision to stick with Brad Johnson and seems to be too proud to make the right decision, admit he was wrong, and bench this plague on our team. Now I know people feel like we shouldn't start Tarvaris because we are still in the playoff chase but....

    Brad Johnson is bad.
    He doesn't give us a shot to win at all. I mean even if Tarvaris comes in and has a horrible performance, throws 4 INTs or whatever.
    It doesn't matter because Johnson does the same crap.
    You think, well maybe if its close Johnson will be better because he more experience.
    This think is crap thinking.
    If Brad Johnson has taught us anything it is that experience doesn't guarentee that you are going to make better decisions or that you are a better option over an inexperienced guy.

    This is what I think a lot of people aren't getting.
    They assume that throwing Tarvaris in there is giving up on the season when really our current quarterback is simply dreadful and Tarvaris probably gives us a better chance to win right now.
    I mean things can't get much worse.
    If we start Tarvaris then we have a shot at the playoffs because he could do a little bit better than BJ and hopefully spark the offense a little.
    If we start Brad than the same things are going to happen that have happened all season and we won't make the playoffs and will be lucky to win any of remaining games.

    Thats my 2 cents.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

  2. #2
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Since I've been gone

    I imagine that when Tarvaris starts his performance will be very similar to Brads. The offense is horrible.

    I think he should start because at least fans will be entertained, but I would wager that he is going to struggle and lose us games just like Brad.

    There are many issues on the offense that probably cannot be addressed until the offseason. At this point I could care less who plays they will all struggle.

    The only difference is after Tarvaris throws four interceptions I am going to have to come on here and read his fans trying to defend him and the people who hate him try to tear him down, just like I have been reading about Brad Johnson all season people missing the big picture.

    From a forum standpoint I am not looking forward to hearing people cry all offseason about Tarvaris and how poorly he did, and people trying to defend him.

    I also do not blame Childress for passing the ball either. The passes were executed poorly. The blame should stop there IMO, it does make for entertaining reading though to come in here one week and read that someone is mad because he ran too much, then come in the next to see they are mad he passed to much, to come in and see one week they are mad he went for it deep on 3rd and 2 and the very next week someone is crying that he didn't go for it deep on 3rd and 2............

    The show goes on I suppose.

  3. #3
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Since I've been gone

    All that being said winning cures everything and Childress is about 5 points short in many games of being called a very good coach. Unfortunately for him 5 points short is 5 points too many.

    It's hard for someone to talk shit when he wins. So whatever he has to do to get it done he needs to start winning games wheather it is by 1 or by 20 makes no difference.

  4. #4
    Storm's Avatar
    Storm is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    492

    Re: Since I've been gone

    The "we lose by close margin" tune is getting pretty old. Seriously, no one cares. Point differencials dont mean jack in NFL. They dont matter for standings, they dont matter for tiebreakers, they just plain dont matter. If you cant find a way to win you still suck, be it 14-13 or 41-0. The former just means more heartbreak for the fans.

  5. #5
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Since I've been gone

    "Del" wrote:
    I imagine that when Tarvaris starts his performance will be very similar to Brads. The offense is horrible.
    I think you should re-phrase that to be:
    "The PASSING offense is horrible."
    I think the running attack has come together over the past month or so.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  6. #6
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Since I've been gone

    "Storm" wrote:
    The "we lose by close margin" tune is getting pretty old. Seriously, no one cares. Point differencials dont mean jack in NFL. They dont matter for standings, they dont matter for tiebreakers, they just plain dont matter. If you cant find a way to win you still suck, be it 14-13 or 41-0. The former just means more heartbreak for the fans.
    It makes a big difference. Maybe not to you which doesn't matter anyway. To the coaches and to the decisions it makes it is huge.

    If your losing by less then one score and you lead the league in offensive penalties (Which we do) then it is all but certain those penalties affected the outcome of the game. Which in turn is probably why you don't see all the players that aren't hanging on posters on some fans walls getting benched just because some random guy says so.

    If your losing by 30 your getting your ass handed to you, if your losing by 5 your making mistakes. Wheather it gets old or not it is relevant.

  7. #7
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Since I've been gone

    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    I imagine that when Tarvaris starts his performance will be very similar to Brads. The offense is horrible.
    I think you should re-phrase that to be:
    "The PASSING offense is horrible."
    I think the running attack has come together over the past month or so.

    =Z=
    That is true. Which is a testament to those guys considering everyone says no one respects our passing game so they are loading up on the run, so to improve in the run game is pretty impressive at this time of the season considering.

    Now why is it our lineman can block a run play but not a pass play? It seems to be a failure on all levels of the field. QB,WR,O-Line.

  8. #8
    Storm's Avatar
    Storm is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    492

    Re: Since I've been gone

    "Del" wrote:
    "Storm" wrote:
    The "we lose by close margin" tune is getting pretty old. Seriously, no one cares. Point differencials dont mean jack in NFL. They dont matter for standings, they dont matter for tiebreakers, they just plain dont matter. If you cant find a way to win you still suck, be it 14-13 or 41-0. The former just means more heartbreak for the fans.
    It makes a big difference. Maybe not to you which doesn't matter anyway. To the coaches and to the decisions it makes it is huge.

    If your losing by less then one score and you lead the league in offensive penalties (Which we do) then it is all but certain those penalties affected the outcome of the game. Which in turn is probably why you don't see all the players that aren't hanging on posters on some fans walls getting benched just because some random guy says so.

    If your losing by 30 your getting your jiggly butt handed to you, if your losing by 5 your making mistakes. Wheather it gets old or not it is relevant.
    Except for you're wrong and your logic is flawed. See, football is not math, and you wont win by just adding penalty numbers from total yards and saying "oh look, if we had +60 yards we would've won". Thats bull shizzle. If you cant find a way to win with penalties, you will find a way to lose without 'em. First you need some one who can call plays. Thats a good start. Then you can work on discipline and only after that you start winning games.

  9. #9
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Since I've been gone

    "Storm" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Storm" wrote:
    The "we lose by close margin" tune is getting pretty old. Seriously, no one cares. Point differencials dont mean jack in NFL. They dont matter for standings, they dont matter for tiebreakers, they just plain dont matter. If you cant find a way to win you still suck, be it 14-13 or 41-0. The former just means more heartbreak for the fans.
    It makes a big difference. Maybe not to you which doesn't matter anyway. To the coaches and to the decisions it makes it is huge.

    If your losing by less then one score and you lead the league in offensive penalties (Which we do) then it is all but certain those penalties affected the outcome of the game. Which in turn is probably why you don't see all the players that aren't hanging on posters on some fans walls getting benched just because some random guy says so.

    If your losing by 30 your getting your jiggly butt handed to you, if your losing by 5 your making mistakes. Wheather it gets old or not it is relevant.
    Except for you're wrong and your logic is flawed. See, football is not math, and you wont win by just adding penalty numbers from total yards and saying "oh look, if we had +60 yards we would've won". Thats bull shizzle. If you cant find a way to win with penalties, you will find a way to lose without 'em. First you need some one who can call plays. Thats a good start. Then you can work on discipline and only after that you start winning games.
    No football is math, and it is science, and it is a lot more complicated then most care to look into. You have 11 guys on the field and every single one of them has a job to do. If even one of those people fails it could result in poor play by all. It is called a margin of error and it exsists in every aspect of the game. It is coached, it is reviewed and it is most definately a main factor in decision making. Obviously I have absolutely no experience in the NFL, I do however sit in meetings after a loss or a win of my team and get to go over the margin of error.

    What went wrong? Why? Who? What happened? How did it effect the game? What can we do to fix it?

    You can have every single guy do the right thing except one and have a total failure on the play. Coaches, and players single out the problem while fans spout off about football being about getting it done and not getting it done. In the end that is all that matters, but getting to that end takes isolating the problem.

    Teams do not get magically better. They get better by identifying errors and correcting them and I am sorry, if your losing by 50 points a game your team has a whole hell of a lot more margin of error then if you lose by 5, it isn't flawed it is a fact.

  10. #10
    VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,433

    Re: Since I've been gone

    To be honest I remember thinking that on Brooks drive and Tarvaris' 4 pass attempts the WRs seemed to not make so many mistakes or drop passes as much. I think the entire offense looked much better with a different quarterback and I remember thinking that this had a lot to do with better ball placement.
    I know these Receivers are in the NFl and if it isn't a perfect pass they should still catch it.
    But our WRs need help from their quarterback and I don't think they got it from brad and were getting it from Brooks and Tarvaris.

    At the same time Dugan dropped a pretty damn good ball from Johnson but he isn't very good.


    It could also be that the team was more energized by the change in quarterbacks and from that focused and tried harder.
    I think this is the best argument for a quarterback change. That a new guy might be able to energize a lifeless offense and get more out of the talent we do have. I think that in order to make a run at the playoffs we need some life and energy in this offense and Johnson can't give it but Tarvaris could.

    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •