Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Sidney Rice To Sit Out All Season

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    I don't know, I'd rather he be 100% off a major surgery, than rush on the field and get hurt again.

Recovering from an injury is different than just playing hurt. Guys like Berrian, Lewis, Harvin are all hurt, but they're just minor issues, that they can play through. If Rice pushes it, and re-injures his hip, that's his season gone. If Harvin sprains his ankle, couple weeks max.
    Excellent point.

I think it has alot to do with the players past with respect to injuries.

Were as Rice gets hurt (not a minor injury) alot and a cat like Chad or Ray doesn't, his agent has advised him to sit out as much of the season as he can, were a guy like Chad, is out there playing his ass off and Ray is playing at or just above "Just enough to get it done".

All three have already done enough to get whats coming to them. Its just 3 different approaches to how they are going at it this year and none of it, by the by, has anything to do with the head coach.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    I feel for the coaching staffs that are getting raped over the coals by the "Press/Analysts" who can't see the obvious, or see it and refuse to report on it.
    Actually a lot of local analysts are. You just don't listen.
    That's sort of become a habit with Marr of late...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Caine wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    I feel for the coaching staffs that are getting raped over the coals by the "Press/Analysts" who can't see the obvious, or see it and refuse to report on it.
    Naw, I very seldom listen to the local rubes, especially the hacks in MN.

I always make up my own mind. What I have changed of late, is my opinion of ESPN.

I feel sorry for those of you that only have that venue to learn/listen about your teams.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

He's going to play.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/19798/sidney-rice-im-going-to-play

Rice told ESPN's Ed Werder: "I'm going to play. I don't think I can go the whole game but I'm going to play as much as I can."
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    You know what my opinion is of the local rubes. They are almost as bad as the idiots on the "Disney" sports channel.
    They are smarter than anyone on PPO including me.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Naw, I very seldom listen to the local rubes, especially the hacks in MN.

I feel sorry for those of you that only have that venue to learn/listen about your teams.
    Why? They are closer and more knowledgeable about the Vikings than you are.

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach

My personal opinion is that Rice is a hell of a receiver but I also think he f#$%^ed the team and the fans over this year. I think a lot less of him now.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Zeus wrote:
    He's going to play.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/19798/sidney-rice-im-going-to-play

Rice told ESPN's Ed Werder: "I'm going to play. I don't think I can go the whole game but I'm going to play as much as I can."
    =Z=
    Nice!

Heard this on KFAN last night, was glad to see the link here to the Werder report.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Marrdro wrote:
    RK. wrote:
    Rice and his agent are not making this decission its the doctors that make it. They have to clear him to play. This is just BS speculation.

As to the the 1/3 not wanting to play I suspect it is higher than that. Very few of them want to play for the Chilly. This season has just become a bunch of guys showing up for work in order to get their pay check IMO. We are not making the play offs this year and most of the free agents are working on their resume for next year. I love the Vikes and I will be pulling for them to win a game here and there but I am not holding out any hope for this season. That went away when the coach put his ego over the good of the team when he fired Moss. I think our team is just keeping their heads down and their mouths shut waiting for the season to end and the sooner the better. I have been a big supporter of the Wilfs but they made a big mistake backing the coach in this decission. When Rice makes it back just think how good we could have been if Moss were still here even if Rice is not 100%.
    It has nothing to do with the Coach, it has nothing to do with the fans, it has nothing to do with the love of the game.

It does have everything to do with the business at hand and that is making money.

If he opted to go out and play this year and suffered a career ending injury, were would he be?

The team would basically say bye bye.

Now if the team would have elected to sign him to a lucritive contract, with gauranteed money up front, the team would still tear up the contract and say bye bye, but he would have his gauranteed money.

Long story short, if I was Rosenhouse, I would be advising my client to do the same thing especially if I had a client that was a bit prone to injuries like Rice is.
    There was a parallel situation with Birk and a hip injury in 2005, he would have play if he got an extension that year and if he didn't get the extension/guarantee he'd miss the season because he'd get the surgery. That was after he missed the last 4 games of the 2004 season with sports hernia surgery.

...Birk said last week that he was willing to try to play the 2005 season with the aid of painkillers, but only if the club guaranteed his 2006 salary of $3.94 million.
    Vikings officials opted not to make such a guarantee and Birk subsequently scheduled the surgery, which is set for next week in New York.
    Linta had proposed that the Vikings essentially guarantee Birk's 2006 salary of $3.94 million, perhaps by signing him to a contract extension which included a signing bonus commensurate to that amount. Birk is currently under contract through 2008, and is due total base salaries of $17.14 million for that period, although that is not guaranteed.
    LINK

Now Birk was a tenured vet with the team and some felt the team was not fair with him and Syd is still on his rookie deal and has missed several games and some feel he could do more for the team but I think in both cases it was just business with the team and players both trying to protect themselves. I'm also not sure how much this all weighed with Birk and his choice to move on as a free agent and where this will place Rice next year in his first crack at a new contract.

I guess in the end I hope Syd can just stay healy and productive on the field and we get to see some of his 09 magic for sometime to come. Now go get them Packers B)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234