Farve

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin competing for the starting spot

"Caine" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    I find it hard to believe that anything I said wasn't agreeable. Our lengthy discussion about Potentail and the different Elements that Creat the "It" Factor. I thought it was great imformation but directly controdicted false beliefs leading to mass confusion.
    Whereas I found it to be a flighty and often contradictory attempt to redefine a common term in order to prove a falsely held belief that was otherwise unsupportable.

...but let's not start that again.

Caine

Contradictory like What? You were confused because I said "Phyiscal Potential" does not lead to direct sucess, yet given the correct balance between "Mental" and "Physical" Talent does lead to direct sucess. Physical Talent alone leads to No Sucess if the Mental Capabilities are lacking, thats where the confusion is. All in all its the Mental Talent that is upmost important. It was evident with a physically gifted Troy Williamson, lacking the Mental Makeup to be sucessful he's been a failure as a Football WR.

Mental and Physical Talent are different Elements. Combined to create "what is". The genetics usually determine the physical specimin, the mental makeup is usually develop by the conditions one experience as they are raised. Parents, family, and friends all have a huge impact on the mental development.

How could someone possibly disagree with this?
    Because it's fundamentally wrong.

The two don't create "What is", they creat "What if"...aka "Potential".

"What Is" only happens later, when "What If" manifests itself.

Williamson had great "What If", but since his "What Is" was so much lower than his "What If", he was let go and labeled a bust.

...or, in regular english, because Williamson failed to live up to his potential, he was cut and labeled a bust.

Caine
    And Ryan Leaf had potential. He just never capitalized on it and thus became a bust.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"V" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    [quote author=VikingsTw link=topic=51935.msg951955#msg951955 date=1243368791]
    I find it hard to believe that anything I said wasn't agreeable. Our lengthy discussion about Potentail and the different Elements that Creat the "It" Factor. I thought it was great imformation but directly controdicted false beliefs leading to mass confusion.
    Whereas I found it to be a flighty and often contradictory attempt to redefine a common term in order to prove a falsely held belief that was otherwise unsupportable.

...but let's not start that again.

Caine

Contradictory like What? You were confused because I said "Phyiscal Potential" does not lead to direct sucess, yet given the correct balance between "Mental" and "Physical" Talent does lead to direct sucess. Physical Talent alone leads to No Sucess if the Mental Capabilities are lacking, thats where the confusion is. All in all its the Mental Talent that is upmost important. It was evident with a physically gifted Troy Williamson, lacking the Mental Makeup to be sucessful he's been a failure as a Football WR.

Mental and Physical Talent are different Elements. Combined to create "what is". The genetics usually determine the physical specimin, the mental makeup is usually develop by the conditions one experience as they are raised. Parents, family, and friends all have a huge impact on the mental development.

How could someone possibly disagree with this?
    Because it's fundamentally wrong.

The two don't create "What is", they creat "What if"...aka "Potential".

"What Is" only happens later, when "What If" manifests itself.

Williamson had great "What If", but since his "What Is" was so much lower than his "What If", he was let go and labeled a bust.

...or, in regular english, because Williamson failed to live up to his potential, he was cut and labeled a bust.

Caine
    The combination of physical and mental Talent will determine the sucess of a player. Its all about where there talents and potentails are on a scale from 1 to 10. Brett Favre wasn't Brett Favre because he was physically gifted, sure thats a portion of it, but Mentally Brett Favre gets a 9 or 10 making him a specail player.

Production will not be manifested without the Mental and Physical Talent. Talent is esentially Potentail depending on how its precieved in different situations, either you have it or have very little. One way or another its directly reflected in on field performance. The two definitly create "what is". What is Troy Williamson... A physically gifted human with a lack of mental talent, like you said he couldn't get over the hump, whats holding him back, physically he's an all world athlete?

I don't think Williamson has ever been anything other than a bust, he couldn't do it here, he couldn't do it in Jacksonville, ect. Troy Williamson's calling should be in something other than Pro Football. The Physical Potential is only likely to keep him around for so long and he doesn't seem to be developing anything to add to what he has.
    Everytime you and Caine tussle, I always agree with Caine.

Ask yourself the question: What if TW could catch?

Would he be a stud WR, worthy of the #7 pick?

My answer to that is STILL no. TW was a speedster. A deep threat, home run hitter. I don't think he would have ever fit into the WCO, or been a primary receiver. Sure he was fast, but was he strong? No. Was he a great leaper? No. Was he "shifty"? No. Even if Troy could catch, there were still some things, physical things, missing from his game.

So no, mental "talent" was not the only thing holding him back. He was not the complete package physically. Potential was set unfairly high because of where he was DRAFTED, not how performed on the field.

[/quote]

I thought Caine was wrong on alot of levels, he said Tom Brady had "Less" Potentail because of where he was drafted, he was given the "Caine Label". He also went on to say that Potentail means Nothing, which is completly false. He was also confused about the different elements that makeup a football players Overall Potentail. The Physical Talent and the Mental Talent, two different Elements that he rejected. He said Troy Williamson's problems were physical when it was actually Mental.

"Ask yourself the question: What if TW could catch?"

If TW had the mental talent to catch on a consistent basis he would have likely remained on the Vikings for as long as he performed. Troy Williamson wasn't just a deep threat, he could run a route tree and get open with ease, he could take some shorter passes for big yardage but was never a great open field runner. His biggest downfall was dropping passes he had the physical potentail to be Marvin Harrison or more, Mentaly he never had what it took.

If Troy Williamson was able to catch the ball he was easily worth the #7 pick, catching was his entire problem, he was a guy who could always get open, he had rare speed and great quickness out of routes. If Troy had better mental toughness his ceiling was definitly high enough for a top ten pick. In reality Troy was never worth that, because he was a track athlete. Thats the way I felt before we drafted him when he sky rocketed due to workouts.

Troy never expanded his physicality, mentaly he didn't have what it took, he could have been way stronger, and way more well rounded had he possesed the mental talent. Due to his genes physically he was a great athlete, god given talent. He never maximized his talents, lack of Mental Drive. It's what seperates the average and great. Could have Troy ever been a WCO WR if he maximized his talents? I think so... was it ever gonna happen? Negative.

I still can't agree with any wrong with Troy Williamson's physical body, I did mention he was thin... Who's fault is that? Troy Williamson's... Percy Harvin is 20, he works extremely hard and is built, there was no reason Troy Williamson couldn't be like that, the problem was a lack of "Mental Drive, Talent, Potentail, ect". He never pushed him self mentaly to maximize the god given talents. Some people don't have the drive others do, it's all mentaly controled.

Even with Troy's size he was decent, never a kick returner by any means, dropping passes was his biggest issue, His hands were intact, he had all fingers, and according to Nike he had good eyes. Troy Williamson "menatly" dropped numerous passes, misjudged deep passes and drops even the shortest slant routes and combacks. He lacked hand eye cordination, which is "not" a physical problem. It doesn't physically take someone great energy to play video games, but mentally it takes good hand eye cordination.

Troy should have never been drafted where he got drafted, a lack of depth at WR that season really made him lucky. We also "reached" for a need, Tice got anamored by the "physical talent" and didn't gauge his "mental talent" very well. Bad homework and bad drafts overall, with the exeption of a few guys.

By the way Troy was a tremendous leaper, he had a very good veritcle and did make some nice leaping grabs during his stretch.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    Water Above a Dam

Percy Harvin

Turbines - transformers

Offense - OC - QB

Electricity at your computer

Scoring Points

surfing PPO!

Winning Games
    the turd in you toilet

Farve

LOL- Priceless ;D

Vikestand is offline Coordinator

"PurpleTide" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    Water Above a Dam

Percy Harvin

Turbines - transformers

Offense - OC - QB

Electricity at your computer

Scoring Points

surfing PPO!

Winning Games
    the turd in you toilet

Farve

LOL- Priceless ;D
    LMFAO Winner winner chicken dinner!

By Pack93z

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the other with no loss of enthusiasm"-Sir Winston Churchill

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314