Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Shuler loss doesn't sit well

Purple Floyd wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Shuler loss doesn't sit well

Who were the guys that were "Discussing" with me how thin our team is? Seems to me that if we cut someone (a late round pick) and someone snatches him up, we must be pretty deep with talent. :dry: :huh:
    Yeah, I can see how a 7th round TE getting picked up on waivers is irrefutable proof of the depth of talent on our team. Give me a break.

Now, if he is inserted into the lineup and gets significant productive playtime it might be an indication that the TE position has depth but to stretch that into making a case that the OL, the secondary, the WR position etc are that deep is really taking liberty with the facts.

Quick question-

If that really is an indication of depth then it is interesting that two of our starters and one that you have had a fan crush on for 5 years were tendered in the offseason and neither got a sniff from other teams. If the depth were that great both of them would have been gone. Good try though. At least it might have bumped a 3 day old topic to the 2nd page and for that I give you credit. :P
    Ahhhh the ole "No one sniffed at our RFA's this year" excuse as a means to measure talent.

No teams sniffed at any RFA's this year on any team. Does that mean all of them are crap players?

By the way, who is the player I have a 5 year man crush on? Kindof hard for me to figure out cause there is no player on this team that I haven't disliked at one point or another for some reason nor have I been on this site for 5 years for you to track that.

Good try though.
    To quote mars. Child please.
    LOL, well played my friend.

I see Cook is back this weekend. Do you think we are still thin at CB?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Who were the guys that were "Discussing" with me how thin our team is? Seems to me that if we cut someone (a late round pick) and someone snatches him up, we must be pretty deep with talent. :dry: :huh:
    Yeah, I can see how a 7th round TE getting picked up on waivers is irrefutable proof of the depth of talent on our team. Give me a break.

Now, if he is inserted into the lineup and gets significant productive playtime it might be an indication that the TE position has depth but to stretch that into making a case that the OL, the secondary, the WR position etc are that deep is really taking liberty with the facts.

Quick question-

If that really is an indication of depth then it is interesting that two of our starters and one that you have had a fan crush on for 5 years were tendered in the offseason and neither got a sniff from other teams. If the depth were that great both of them would have been gone. Good try though. At least it might have bumped a 3 day old topic to the 2nd page and for that I give you credit. :P
    Ahhhh the ole "No one sniffed at our RFA's this year" excuse as a means to measure talent.

No teams sniffed at any RFA's this year on any team. Does that mean all of them are crap players?

By the way, who is the player I have a 5 year man crush on? Kindof hard for me to figure out cause there is no player on this team that I haven't disliked at one point or another for some reason nor have I been on this site for 5 years for you to track that.

Good try though.

Cook has NEVER played a down in an actual NFL game. To assess him with absolutely NO comparable basis is silly.

He MIGHT be the greatest corner of our time...or he might get blown off the field.

Until we know for sure, we're still thin.

Caine

Caine wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Quick question-

Good try though.

Cook has NEVER played a down in an actual NFL game. To assess him with absolutely NO comparable basis is silly.

He MIGHT be the greatest corner of our time...or he might get blown off the field.

Caine
    Wait a minute, wait a minute........

This all came about cause I said that we could afford to give up a couple of pics cause we had alot of young talent on this team and that it would be wise to use those two on a "Proven" "Big Name" WR.

Now your trying to say that the a kid we used a draft pick on doesn't add depth?

I'm confused my friend. Which is it. Wise to use picks on young talent or wise to use picks on proven players.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Quick question-

Good try though.

Yep.

He is a rookie and hasn't proven squat. If he comes in and solidifies the whole secondary I will change my stance. But even if he locks down one corner spot we are still weak at Safety and nickel. That of course doesn't even begin to address who comes in if there is an injury and how much the productivity drops off, which is really what I define as depth.

Quick question- you comfortable with Lito on the field a whole game as a starter in a playoff game against the likes of the Packers, Saints, Cowboys etc WR's?

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Quick question-

Good try though.

Caine
    Wait a minute, wait a minute........

This all came about cause I said that we could afford to give up a couple of pics cause we had alot of young talent on this team and that it would be wise to use those two on a "Proven" "Big Name" WR.

Now your trying to say that the a kid we used a draft pick on doesn't add depth?

I'm confused my friend. Which is it. Wise to use picks on young talent or wise to use picks on proven players.
    That's a situational question...it has no absolute answer.

Look at Ted Thompson in Green Bay - he uses picks ONLY on young talent. Perhaps if he pulled the trigger on some proven Vets, Green Bay might win a Superbowl. But, just like his Seattle days, he won't change his methods and thereby limits his team.

There are times when it is right to throw picks at acquiring a proven vet - like Jared Allen. There are times when it's not the right thing to do (Like Herschel Walker).

And until that "young talent" actually cracks the starting lineup and CONTRIBUTES, it's a moot point because it does us little good on the bench. Much like the infamous argument about how great our backup QB's were...

It comes back to who are we getting, what do they bring to the table, and what do we have to give up for him.

So, your statement about our alleged "Depth" still remains factually inaccurate, as we have not played like a team with great depth, and losses to our primary players have cost us dearly. And trying to pass Cook off as adding depth isn't accurate because we don't know how good he'll be.

Did Troy Williamson add "depth" to our roster back when we had him?

Caine

Purple Floyd wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Quick question-

Good try though.

Yep.

He is a rookie and hasn't proven squat. If he comes in and solidifies the whole secondary I will change my stance. But even if he locks down one corner spot we are still weak at Safety and nickel. That of course doesn't even begin to address who comes in if there is an injury and how much the productivity drops off, which is really what I define as depth.

Quick question- you comfortable with Lito on the field a whole game as a starter in a playoff game against the likes of the Packers, Saints, Cowboys etc WR's?
    So I pose the same question back at you I did Caine.

I said that we could afford to give up two picks for Vinny Jack on the rationale that we are deep enough so that not all the rooks would make the team if we used them all.

Now you guys are saying that a kid we just drafted hasn't proven squat with respect to depth, even though he will in all likely hood be the starter at some point.

Makes no sense.

As to your question, he has been playing good enough to keep the likes of the Aints to 14 points without that pressure from the front 4.

Yes, I would be OK with Lito taking some reps if necessary, but only if our DL was getting pressure, however, as soon as Griff gets back, I don't think we will have to worry about it now will we. We will have a very nice Vet sitting on the bench adding depth along with Asher (another youngster) and most likely Whinny coming in on Nickle like he has been doing of late.

Thats some serious depth if you ask me.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:

So I pose the same question back at you I did Caine.
    OK that is good company.

I said that we could afford to give up two picks for Vinny Jack on the rationale that we are deep enough so that not all the rooks would make the team if we used them all.
    But that rationale might be a bit short sighted in that the picks would be for next years draft and at that point we might be without 2 of 3 QB's, a starting DE, a LB or 2 as well as several other positions and if you take them off the field I don't see the depth left on the roster to step in and still have competent reserves behind them ready to fill in when needed.

But if you are of the mindset that we need it to go all in this year or bust then I guess I could see it. My personal opinion is I would not have thought it was necessarily a bad move other than it is happening pretty late in the year to help us. Had it been pre-draft then it would have made more sense. At any point I guess my best defense is to take your stance that we are so deep in talent that there probably isn't a need to bolster the roster because Childress has enough weapons apparently to win the SB with what he has.

Now you guys are saying that a kid we just drafted hasn't proven squat with respect to depth, even though he will in all likely hood be the starter at some point.
    Yes, he will be a starter. You know what? We drafted Troy Williamson and he became a starter right away too. Remind me how that one turned out. Also this Jackson who plays QB. He was drafted and started his first and second years. But then again he still hasn't proven squat.

Makes no sense.
    To you.

You can lead a horse to water.....

As to your question, he has been playing good enough to keep the likes of the Aints to 14 points without that pressure from the front 4.
    You mean Lito? How has his coverage been? Fortunately we have a few guys like EJ who have been bailing his ass out.

Yes, I would be OK with Lito taking some reps if necessary, but only if our DL was getting pressure, however, as soon as Griff gets back, I don't think we will have to worry about it now will we. We will have a very nice Vet sitting on the bench adding depth along with Asher (another youngster) and most likely Whinny coming in on Nickle like he has been doing of late.
    Not what I said. Once again- Would you be comfortable with him as a starting corner in the playoffs if Griff or Cook or Winfield go down? Not spot play- starting. That is what depth is all about.

Thats some serious depth if you ask me.
    That is a bit thin if you ask me if you are wanting to win a SB. It is sufficient if you are ok with almost good enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12