whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Should we go after this guy?

Team covets guard-center cut by Cards

BY BILL WILLIAMSON

Pioneer Press

MANKATO, Minn. — The Vikings on Monday pursued the possibility of acquiring offensive lineman Pete Kendall, who was released Sunday by the Arizona Cardinals.

The Vikings contacted Kendall's agents to see if he might consider joining the team, probably as their top backup at guard and center. However, Kendall, who would prefer to play center, has received a lot of interest and is looking for a long-term deal.

Kendall probably will go to a team that gives him a longer contract and a chance to start. No visit is scheduled with the Vikings.

The Vikings also are considering additions to the bottom of their roster. Cornerback Steve Smith, cut by Tennessee, and punter/kicker Travis Dorsch will be in camp today for a second day of workouts. There is a strong chance both will be signed if they perform well. Smith would compete for the fifth cornerback spot.

Dorsch would be signed to kick off and as a punter. He is a long-term prospect because the Vikings are happy with Aaron Elling at kicker and Darren Bennett at punter, but Bennett is 40. Dorsch likely would be a practice squad candidate. The Vikings have long coveted Dorsch, who was just cut by Green Bay.

Rumor that I have been hearing is that the Vikes are not all that happy with the play of Lewis Kelly, he was supposed to be the heir-apparent for Dixon.
    He hasn't been as sharp and as dependable as they were hoping for, and in practice yesterday he did not do well at center backing up Withrow with Matt out.
    Denny (the sheriff) apparently dropped him cause he was the guy that complained about the practices being to tough, is he a cancer? or is he help for us? :scratch:
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: Should we go after this guy?

"whackthepack" wrote:

BY BILL WILLIAMSON

Pioneer Press

MANKATO, Minn. — The Vikings on Monday pursued the possibility of acquiring offensive lineman Pete Kendall, who was released Sunday by the Arizona Cardinals.

The Vikings contacted Kendall's agents to see if he might consider joining the team, probably as their top backup at guard and center. However, Kendall, who would prefer to play center, has received a lot of interest and is looking for a long-term deal.

Kendall probably will go to a team that gives him a longer contract and a chance to start. No visit is scheduled with the Vikings.

The Vikings also are considering additions to the bottom of their roster. Cornerback Steve Smith, cut by Tennessee, and punter/kicker Travis Dorsch will be in camp today for a second day of workouts. There is a strong chance both will be signed if they perform well. Smith would compete for the fifth cornerback spot.

Dorsch would be signed to kick off and as a punter. He is a long-term prospect because the Vikings are happy with Aaron Elling at kicker and Darren Bennett at punter, but Bennett is 40. Dorsch likely would be a practice squad candidate. The Vikings have long coveted Dorsch, who was just cut by Green Bay.

Rumor that I have been hearing is that the Vikes are not all that happy with the play of Lewis Kelly, he was supposed to be the heir-apparent for Dixon.
    He hasn't been as sharp and as dependable as they were hoping for, and in practice yesterday he did not do well at center backing up Withrow with Matt out.
    Denny (the sheriff) apparently dropped him cause he was the guy that complained about the practices being to tough, is he a cancer? or is he help for us? :scratch:

I don't think we need to if he wants a long contract. If he wants a one year deal, then why not. From the sounds of it, we won't even bother with him. We have some good young prospects on the O-line that I think Tice wants to get in there and see what they can do. I always liked lewis kelly, but am starting to wonder if he will ever turn into the O-lineman I/we thought he would.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: Should we go after this guy?

"whackthepack" wrote:

BY BILL WILLIAMSON

Pioneer Press

Also, we signed travis dorsch today and released punter filipovich or what ever his name is, the guy we signed after releasing eddie johnson.

He is a good o-linemen but i think we have some excellent young depth. and already have a good oline we should just pass.

howln4u is offline Rookie

I say if we can get Kendall we do it. We could put him in Dixons place if Kelly or Dorsey doesnt take the spot from him. A veteran like that woud be good to have on the team for the right price.

Give him an incentive laden contract.

Big Daddy is offline Starter

I think we should take a long look at him IF Birks injury proves to be more trouble than we first thought.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel it s warmth!

"Big Daddy" wrote:
    I think we should take a long look at him IF Birks injury proves to be more trouble than we first thought.
    Oh yeah thats a good point i forgort about birks injury. They say its not a big deal but you never know how well it holds up.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Birks gonna be just fine!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Big Daddy is offline Starter

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    Birks gonna be just fine!!
    Man I hope so because he is the leader of the Oline!
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel it s warmth!

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

He better be just fine!!!! I was reading that the back ups that we have for him were looking pretty weak!!! We've never needed anyone else though because he's so reliable!!