Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frostbite is offline Coach

Should We Consider FA help at Safety 2008?

It came to mind with all the QB talk on the board about veteran help from the FA market that while top QB availability looks sparce (To Say The Least) some good Safety help will be possible to obtain. What do you guys think about the following guys??

1. Nate Clements/Bills: This guy would a great pickup but I think even if he tests the market the Bills will really try hard to keep him. He might want to much coin but stranger things have happened.

2. Ken Hamlin/Seahawks: Was injured for a while but since coming back has shown he's very good. Seahawks will try to keep him I believe but he could slip away from them for other Seahawk needs and Cap room.

3. Nick Harper/Colts: Granted he's 33....but he could come fairly cheap and should still have a few good years left in him?? I doubt the Colts would spend a lot to keep him either.

Should the team consider some help at that position??

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Should We Consider FA help at Safety 2008?

Id like to draft a young safety to groom under Sharper

I think Sharper has some good years left. I also think between Doss, Tank and Dwight we should be good for at least a couple years at the position. I do think we should look in the draft for a safety who can come in and ease his way in. I would love to see the Vikes get Kenny Phillips. But other than that, i would wait and see how we finish the season. If we can play like last week, or even close to that, i wouldn't be too worried. But we should definitely look to get younger at the backup spots of this position within the next year or 2.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"Frostbite" wrote:
    It came to mind with all the QB talk on the board about veteran help from the FA market that while top QB availability looks sparce (To Say The Least) some good Safety help will be possible to obtain. What do you guys think about the following guys??

1. Nate Clements/Bills: This guy would a great pickup but I think even if he tests the market the Bills will really try hard to keep him. He might want to much coin but stranger things have happened.

2. Ken Hamlin/Seahawks: Was injured for a while but since coming back has shown he's very good. Seahawks will try to keep him I believe but he could slip away from them for other Seahawk needs and Cap room.

3. Nick Harper/Colts: Granted he's 33....but he could come fairly cheap and should still have a few good years left in him?? I doubt the Colts would spend a lot to keep him either.

Cheers!
    1- Nate Clements just signed an $80 Million dollar contract with the 49ers

2- And Ken Hamlin plays for the Cowboys

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

Not in free agency...the draft.

We might get fortunate enough to have Kenny Phillips from "The U" fall into our laps in the middle of the first round.
    If not I'd say we go for the best WR, OL, or CB available, maybe a stud LB?

In the second we could go any direction, but I like CB Dwight Lowery (9 picks in one season!), who obviously can cover, has decent size and speed, and can return kicks.
    If we could get Phillips and Lowery, expect our pass D to be better within a couple of years if not immediately.

I've also wondered about possibly moving Winfield to safety since he is such a great tackler and can eat up more field than Sharper or Smith.
    I like the prospect of a defensive backfield with Lowery and Griffin at the corners and Winfield and Phillips at the safety slots.
    Then we keep McCauley, Gordon, Doss, and Williams for depth.

I know a lot of people are looking for us to draft offense in the upcoming draft, and I certainly see the reasons why.
    However, I like the idea of reloading on defense as our players on that side of the ball are getting older and we already have young explosive and developing players on offense.
    PWill, Winfield, Smith, and Sharper are all getting to the other side of the hill sooner rather than later.
    The only players on offense that may retire any time soon would be Birk, Sauce, and TRich.

Lets totally revive the Purple People Eaters!
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

"jkjuggalo" wrote:

We might get fortunate enough to have Kenny Phillips from "The U" fall into our laps in the middle of the first round.

In the second we could go any direction, but I like CB Dwight Lowery (9 picks in one season!), who obviously can cover, has decent size and speed, and can return kicks.
    If we could get Phillips and Lowery, expect our pass D to be better within a couple of years if not immediately.

I've also wondered about possibly moving Winfield to safety since he is such a great tackler and can eat up more field than Sharper or Smith.
    I like the prospect of a defensive backfield with Lowery and Griffin at the corners and Winfield and Phillips at the safety slots.

I know a lot of people are looking for us to draft offense in the upcoming draft, and I certainly see the reasons why.
    However, I like the idea of reloading on defense as our players on that side of the ball are getting older and we already have young explosive and developing players on offense.
    PWill, Winfield, Smith, and Sharper are all getting to the other side of the hill sooner rather than later.
    The only players on offense that may retire any time soon would be Birk, Sauce, and TRich.

agreed...if kenny isn't around still in the first round, and we haven't traded our pick for Larry Fitzgerald, i would say get Desean Jackson.

Frostbite is offline Coach

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "Frostbite" wrote:

Cheers!
    1- Nate Clements just signed an $80 Million dollar contract with the 49ers
    2- And Ken Hamlin plays for the Cowboys

3- And Harper is probably the defensive MVP thus far. He's not going anywhere.

Thanks jessiejames. I had forgotten they signed him.

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

"clark_griswold" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:

agreed...if kenny isn't around still in the first round, and we haven't traded our pick for Larry Fitzgerald, i would say get Desean Jackson.
    is that an option? or just something you want to happen. (i mean, i'd like it too)
    i m better than you, so just give up...

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

We should keep on grooming Greg Blue...oh wait..
    I guess draft another safety.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

"Frostbite" wrote:

Cheers!
    Sorry but, Clemens signed the biggest
    contract ever for a defensive player when he was a free agent last year with the 49ers, how did you miss that, he is also a cornerback not a safety, the same goes for Nick Harper, he was also a free agent last year and signed a contract with the Titans, he is also a cornerback..

But we are pretty deep at safety, but both Tank and Doss are free agents, i think that we will draft one, either Kenny Phillips from Miami or a guy like Jonathan Hefney from Tennessee..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast