Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Should we believe Zygi? Absolutely

[size=18px]Should we believe Zygi? Absolutely[/size]

Posted on Thu, Feb. 23, 2006

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said in December that Daunte Culpepper "absolutely" would be on the team's roster in 2006. He also has said numerous times the Vikings absolutely won't move to another state.
    Zygi needs to be careful when he chooses words, particularly words that don't leave wiggle room.

"You learn words you don't use — like positively, absolutely and never," former Vikings coach Bud Grant said.

It sure doesn't appear Culpepper absolutely will remain with the team. Reports are wafting around the country that the Vikings are trying to trade him. And, with his knee and contract issues, it makes sense.

Clearly, things have changed since Wilf's comment in December. And that's what should concern Vikings fans in Minnesota. Things do change.
    At the moment, Wilf appears committed to keeping the team here. The thing is, Red McCombs also claimed early in his tenure as Vikings owner that the franchise would stay put. Then, when he got nowhere in his quest for a new stadium, rumblings began about moving the team.

"Absolutely, Zygi has not reversed from the 'absolutely' comment," said Lester Bagley, the Vikings' point man for a new stadium.

I'm not saying Wilf will threaten to move the Vikings if he doesn't get a stadium. I am saying absolutely nothing is absolute.

Bob Sansevere can be reached at [email protected]

Should we believe Zygi?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

Re: Should we believe Zygi? Absolutely

Most of us are cautiously optimistic with the new ownership and coaching changes. We knew it wasn't working with the previous owners and leaders. They started out with a clean slate and we will eventually have a more reasonable opinion of the leaders. Nothing is for certain and Bud said it perfectly, ""You learn words you don't use — like positively, absolutely and never."

We shall see. There is no doubt in my mind that Zygi will try to move the Vikes if a new stadium deal doesn't come through. With all he is offering from his own pocket for the stadium the state would be foolish to not negotiate a deal.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

This is a perfect case of others trying to put a spin on something someone else has said.....And personaly, it pisses me off.

Wilf has done nothing wrong, and up to now, has given me no reason not to believe what he is trying to do or what he has said..

Wilf said "absolutely" PeP would be on this team in Nov. This was after the injury also.

It was PEP's actions that have turned this absolutely statement into a maybe now.

PeP is the one who changed the situation not Wilf.....

PeP is the one who alienated himself from the team when they needed him as much on the sideline as they did on the field, PeP is the one who marched into Winter Park, looking for a cool 10 mil raise, he doesn't deserve yet.
    PeP is the one who got caught in the Love Boat Escapades (to me not such a great big deal) which could be a real big deal for some and could have impact on how our team looks and have impact on dealings like getting a new stadium.

Yes there are words one should take care in using, but I believe Wilf had every intention of keeping his word on the PeP deal.....

It was PeP who didn't step up, support and thank Wilf for his belief in him, therefore having to make Wilf and those around him to maybe rethink just how commited PeP was to the Vikings rather than the opposite.......

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

"VikingNed" wrote:
    This is a perfect case of others trying to put a spin on something someone else has said.....And personaly, it pisses me off.

Wilf has done nothing wrong, and up to now, has given me no reason not to believe what he is trying to do or what he has said..

Wilf said "absolutely" PeP would be on this team in Nov. This was after the injury also.

It was PEP's actions that have turned this absolutely statement into a maybe now.

PeP is the one who changed the situation not Wilf.....

PeP is the one who alienated himself from the team when they needed him as much on the sideline as they did on the field, PeP is the one who marched into Winter Park, looking for a cool 10 mil raise, he doesn't deserve yet.
    PeP is the one who got caught in the Love Boat Escapades (to me not such a great big deal) which could be a real big deal for some and could have impact on how our team looks and have impact on dealings like getting a new stadium.

Yes there are words one should take care in using, but I believe Wilf had every intention of keeping his word on the PeP deal.....

It was PeP who didn't step up, support and thank Wilf for his belief in him, therefore having to make Wilf and those around him to maybe rethink just how commited PeP was to the Vikings rather than the opposite.......
    Perfect post, I agree 100%!

Del Rio Guest

The only thing you should belive about Zigy, is that he wants to make money.

Above all else, you can say with 100% certainty that the one solid set in stone motivation of our new owner is to make his investment productive and make his investment pay off.

That is all.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

While I agree with you Del and have said the same thing over and over again...that the bottom line is "MONEY," I think Zygi also has a passion for NFL football and he has a lot of pride. I believe him when he says he'll do whatever it takes to bring a Super Bowl Win to Minnesota because that's the kind of passion he has.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    The only thing you should belive about Zigy, is that he wants to make money.

Above all else, you can say with 100% certainty that the one solid set in stone motivation of our new owner is to make his investment productive and make his investment pay off.

That is all.
    Agreed!

Heck if I put $100 dollars into something, I am emotionally and financially invest into it. Wilf and his group put in over $600,000,000 into this team, I have NO DOUBT that this is business and it is about profit.

With that said, it is about running the business (team) the RIGHT WAY. It is wanting to be the best and actually doing something to accomplish it. Looking back on the Red Error (oops that was suppose to be ERA), I don't remember seeing this fire and the drive to want to be the best, maybe Red was just too old to care. If Wilf's drive is a farce, I am going to feel awfully damn stupid when it is said and done.

Del Rio Guest

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    While I agree with you Del and have said the same thing over and over again...that the bottom line is "MONEY," I think Zygi also has a passion for NFL football and he has a lot of pride. I believe him when he says he'll do whatever it takes to bring a Super Bowl Win to Minnesota because that's the kind of passion he has.
    Well in the end a Superbowl means more money.

I don't deny his desire to win. What I do think is you can not take anything he says about players and location to heart. For one he is a buisiness man and while he may have been a fan he probably knows very little about the way things work at this point.

So for him to say Culpepper WILL be here then later on down the line there are doubts should not come as a surprise. If he can improve his chances to win, and to make money he will do whatever it takes.

To me that is the only certainty.

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Just a rookie owner learning vocabulary and the ropes. NBD, I think.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

The State Government of Minnesota needs to step up and approve the new stadium...besides, it will free up valuable downtown property once they destroy the Metrodome...makes sense for everyone!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast