Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymtdan View Post

    I did try to watch him this year and most of what I could see was good. Only a few games did I see him get out maneuvered and man handled, he will develop well under good coaching which I believe we now have.
    Floyd is quiet, but decent. He's still a rookie, people shouldn't expect every rookie to play at an all-pro level. He didn't ahve huge stats or anything, but he did his job well most of the time. Yeah, he got beat, and that's to be expected for a rookie. He was never a can't miss physical talent, so it will continue to happen. What's important is he learns and gets better from it.

  2. #22
    Minniman's Avatar
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,369
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    Floyd will be a great player for a long time. He is just a rookie this year. I am always amazed at the people on this board that think every rookie should be an all pro the first year they are here and if they aren't somehow they are a bust. Please.........
    Who said that? Who thinks that?

    I did not see Floyd play particularly well, but I did not see him bust either.

    Then again, he was supposed to be a top five pick on many boards. Mike Mayock had him at number two. One would think a top five player has the skills to go gangbusters on the NFL.

    It is obvious that the Vikings needed depth on defense, especially in the secondary and middle linebacker, and some offensive line support. This was before the season began, and the Vikings traded away draft picks that could have helped resolve those issues down the road.

    If Floyd has a good sophomore season, the book will still be out on the trade. If he ends up a blue chip, then the deal is worth it, as depth can be filled with free agents.

  3. #23
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is online now Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Who said that? Who thinks that?

    I did not see Floyd play particularly well, but I did not see him bust either.

    Then again, he was supposed to be a top five pick on many boards. Mike Mayock had him at number two. One would think a top five player has the skills to go gangbusters on the NFL.

    It is obvious that the Vikings needed depth on defense, especially in the secondary and middle linebacker, and some offensive line support. This was before the season began, and the Vikings traded away draft picks that could have helped resolve those issues down the road.

    If Floyd has a good sophomore season, the book will still be out on the trade. If he ends up a blue chip, then the deal is worth it, as depth can be filled with free agents.
    Remember, Frazier did to Floyd what he did to Patterson... "ease him in". Floyd, like ALL rookies coming into the NFL, needed to get used to the speed of the game at the highest level. Now, some players work well from the start, while most need that first season to get the new mindset... Frazier did Floyd no favors when he kept him off the field so much, ESPECIALLY after it was clear we would not make the playoffs.

    We should know right now if Floyd is a blue chip or a potential bust; we don't because he hasn't played enough for us TO know. I still think the dude is a stud, and expect good things from him next year. He has the same knack JJ Watt does for swatting passes out of the air, if given the opportunity.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.
    ~Napoleon Bonaparte

  4. #24
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Who said that? Who thinks that?

    I did not see Floyd play particularly well, but I did not see him bust either.

    Then again, he was supposed to be a top five pick on many boards. Mike Mayock had him at number two. One would think a top five player has the skills to go gangbusters on the NFL.

    It is obvious that the Vikings needed depth on defense, especially in the secondary and middle linebacker, and some offensive line support. This was before the season began, and the Vikings traded away draft picks that could have helped resolve those issues down the road.

    If Floyd has a good sophomore season, the book will still be out on the trade. If he ends up a blue chip, then the deal is worth it, as depth can be filled with free agents.
    Goes to show why you can't listen to the projections... those guys get paid for guessing and are wrong 90% of the time. Must be nice.

    I think Floyd will be a fine DT for years to come. As someone pointed out earlier, he didn't have the luxury of playing next to Williams... he was mostly left with Guion.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  5. #25
    Minniman's Avatar
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,369
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Floyd is quiet, but decent. He's still a rookie, people shouldn't expect every rookie to play at an all-pro level.
    Kevin Williams had 51 tackles, 10.5 sacks, and a pick in his first season. That is pretty much all pro level.

    Sharrif Floyd had 19 tackles and 2.5 sacks. That is typical for a rookie who is a backup in his first season.

    With either Williams or Floyd, the Vikings have not done as well without a huge nose tackle to take on the blocks at the line. Pat Williams was the man. Perhaps the Vikings should pursue free agent Linval Joseph of the Giants for that big NT/DT position.

  6. #26
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    859
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Kevin Williams had 51 tackles, 10.5 sacks, and a pick in his first season. That is pretty much all pro level.

    Sharrif Floyd had 19 tackles and 2.5 sacks. That is typical for a rookie who is a backup in his first season.

    With either Williams or Floyd, the Vikings have not done as well without a huge nose tackle to take on the blocks at the line. Pat Williams was the man. Perhaps the Vikings should pursue free agent Linval Joseph of the Giants for that big NT/DT position.
    Joseph would make them better immediately. Add a stud MLB, providing they run a 4-3, and it would be a good start to rebuilding the D. They also need DB's. So if there is no QB worth taking, I would like to see them stick with Cassel and build the defense. Can go after a QB the following year if they need to.

  7. #27
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Kevin Williams had 51 tackles, 10.5 sacks, and a pick in his first season. That is pretty much all pro level.
    And not a whole lot of DTs play at an all-pro level their first season. Especially backup DTs.
    Sharrif Floyd had 19 tackles and 2.5 sacks. That is typical for a rookie who is a backup in his first season.
    Especially for a guy who didn't have much for stats at the college level either

  8. #28
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Kevin Williams had 51 tackles, 10.5 sacks, and a pick in his first season. That is pretty much all pro level.

    Sharrif Floyd had 19 tackles and 2.5 sacks. That is typical for a rookie who is a backup in his first season.

    With either Williams or Floyd, the Vikings have not done as well without a huge nose tackle to take on the blocks at the line. Pat Williams was the man. Perhaps the Vikings should pursue free agent Linval Joseph of the Giants for that big NT/DT position.
    Raji or Pickett are also available. Raji is more of a playmaker but he can be moved at the point of attack. Pickett isn't going anywhere so he would be great against the run but not much movement so he won't be pushing the pocket back much. Pickett could be had for much less though and we would have our Phat Pat back. If anyone remembers, Phat Pat didn't move the pocket much either but he was so fast side to side in the run game, none better.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  9. #29
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,407
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    Raji or Pickett are also available. Raji is more of a playmaker but he can be moved at the point of attack. Pickett isn't going anywhere so he would be great against the run but not much movement so he won't be pushing the pocket back much. Pickett could be had for much less though and we would have our Phat Pat back. If anyone remembers, Phat Pat didn't move the pocket much either but he was so fast side to side in the run game, none better.
    Yeah, I remember when Raji made that play that one time. (read: no thanks)
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  10. #30
    Minniman's Avatar
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,369
    If Seattle is the baseline for a modern defense, the Sharrif Floyd pick is not as good as it looked for fans at the time. Seattle has been using sabermetrics and key abilities for several seasons, and one report earlier this years indicated that arm length was one metric used in evaluating defensive linemen. Other teams using sabermetrics rated Floyd lower for similar reasons.

    That is not to say that Floyd will bust. It is to say that teams using sabermetrics passed on him because he did not meet their criteria.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •