Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1
    Minniman's Avatar
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,407

    Should the Vikings have passed on Sharrif Floyd?

    The Vikings used their first of two first round draft picks on Sharrif Floyd. Many teams passed on Floyd. Speculation is that Sharrif did not have an NFL body with his short arms, and he did not have the ability to push the line against large offensive linemen and create pressure inside.

    After choosing Sharrif Floyd, the Vikings selected cornerback Xavier Rhodes, who played well in his rookie season. He made rookie mistakes and was injured during part of the season, but Rhodes looks like he may be a good player in the NFL.

    The Vikings then traded several picks to get back into the first round and draft wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson. As an inexperienced college receiver, Patterson was brought along slowly, but as a return specialist, he excelled immediately. Patterson has huge upside if he can be consistent as a receiver. He was named to the Pro Bowl as a rookie.

    There are many what-ifs about trading the pick that became Patterson to New England, but what if the Vikings had passed over Floyd and drafted Rhodes and Patterson straight up?

    By the way, here is what New England got with those picks ...

    Second round pick, No. 52 overall: linebacker Jamie Collins.

    Third round pick, No. 83 overall: cornerback Logan Ryan.

    Fourth round pick, No. 102 overall: wide receiver Josh Boyce.

    Seventh round pick, No. 229 overall: Traded with Jeff Demps for running back LeGarrette Blount.

    Here is an article regarding those picks:

    Revisiting trade on draft day

  2. #2
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404
    That argument could be made, but he did show some promise as a possible replacement for K-Will.

    Pats drafted well like usual. They obviously new that Collins someone they highly coveted would be there in the second. If they didn't know, they were at least willing to gamble on it.

    The reason the Pats have been successful in the draft is they evaluate talent well and then place them in relation to the players they know will be drafted. They then try to place them where they can realistically draft them. They don't get blinded by the big name or big school concept. They let other teams, GMs, and coaches get enamored by those players.

    I am happy with out draft from last season, wouldn't have done it differently. Not sure we are set up with the coaching and scouting personnel to draft like the Pats. Got to draft like the Vikings.

  3. #3
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,906
    Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post
    That argument could be made, but he did show some promise as a possible replacement for K-Will.

    Pats drafted well like usual. They obviously new that Collins someone they highly coveted would be there in the second. If they didn't know, they were at least willing to gamble on it.

    The reason the Pats have been successful in the draft is they evaluate talent well and then place them in relation to the players they know will be drafted. They then try to place them where they can realistically draft them. They don't get blinded by the big name or big school concept. They let other teams, GMs, and coaches get enamored by those players.

    I am happy with out draft from last season, wouldn't have done it differently. Not sure we are set up with the coaching and scouting personnel to draft like the Pats. Got to draft like the Vikings.
    Keenan Allen. I was screaming for us to get back into the 3rd round to get him.
    Running 3 Wide with Jennings, Patterson and Allen would mean we would be set at WR for the next 4 years.

  4. #4
    Ted Dibiase is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    86
    Seems to this amateur that Spielman drafts well but isn't the greatest with FA's. I'm glad they drafted Floyd even though it didn't pay dividends this year. I still think they need another DT. I don't think Guion is a starter. Moving back in the first to get Jernigan or Nix would be nice but I don't see anyone as a partner.

  5. #5
    313zoe is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    233
    Blog Entries
    1

    Should the Vikings have passed on Sharrif Floyd?

    I think Floyd will have a better year this year under Zimmer and he played alright this year we still need another DT

  6. #6
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    The problem with that concept is we didn't have the patriots staff to make those picks so we would have just drafted a few Greg Blues and a few Marcus McCauleys instead.

  7. #7
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    The Vikings used their first of two first round draft picks on Sharrif Floyd. Many teams passed on Floyd. Speculation is that Sharrif did not have an NFL body with his short arms, and he did not have the ability to push the line against large offensive linemen and create pressure inside.

    After choosing Sharrif Floyd, the Vikings selected cornerback Xavier Rhodes, who played well in his rookie season. He made rookie mistakes and was injured during part of the season, but Rhodes looks like he may be a good player in the NFL.

    The Vikings then traded several picks to get back into the first round and draft wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson. As an inexperienced college receiver, Patterson was brought along slowly, but as a return specialist, he excelled immediately. Patterson has huge upside if he can be consistent as a receiver. He was named to the Pro Bowl as a rookie.

    There are many what-ifs about trading the pick that became Patterson to New England, but what if the Vikings had passed over Floyd and drafted Rhodes and Patterson straight up?

    By the way, here is what New England got with those picks ...

    Second round pick, No. 52 overall: linebacker Jamie Collins.

    Third round pick, No. 83 overall: cornerback Logan Ryan.

    Fourth round pick, No. 102 overall: wide receiver Josh Boyce.

    Seventh round pick, No. 229 overall: Traded with Jeff Demps for running back LeGarrette Blount.

    Here is an article regarding those picks:

    Revisiting trade on draft day
    If we are going to a 3-4 it is definitely a mistake and wasted pick, he fits nowhere in a 3-4. His arms are not that short and he should be a good replacement for Williams as a 3tech in a 4-3 scheme. So if we stay with a 4-3, the jury is still out he may become a good starter, will he play like Williams, probably not!

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  8. #8
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Dibiase View Post
    Seems to this amateur that Spielman drafts well but isn't the greatest with FA's. I'm glad they drafted Floyd even though it didn't pay dividends this year. I still think they need another DT. I don't think Guion is a starter. Moving back in the first to get Jernigan or Nix would be nice but I don't see anyone as a partner.

    It's hard to honestly say that. Just because he hasn't signed a ton of big name free agents?

    Since Spielman has been here, it's correct we haven't signed alot of big name guys. Why though?

    Was it due to need vs. availability? Was it due to not wanting to cough up the money required for a big name guy? Was it trusting in the guys we already had? Perhaps the big name guys simply weren't interested?

    Looking back. QB: Who do we pick up? We got Cassel, you could argue make a push for Alex Smith. It's obvious that we wanted to stay with Ponder for the year.

    We made the big signing in Jennings to fill a need. We've been relying on draft picks to fill holes, and we're now sitting in a good position going into the year. Cap space without Allen/KW's big contracts will give us room for a good FA or two.

  9. #9
    Ted Dibiase is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    86
    Not necessarily lack of big names, but it doesn't seem that we've had many free agent contributors. I also think he overpaid some of the big names...Carlson and Simpson come to mind. Maybe even Jennings...but that's hard to say until (if) the QB picture is resolved. I'm not calling for the guys job or anything, just an honest assessment. Maybe that will improve. If I had a choice between good FA signer or drafter I'd take the drafter hands down.

  10. #10
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Dibiase View Post
    Not necessarily lack of big names, but it doesn't seem that we've had many free agent contributors. I also think he overpaid some of the big names...Carlson and Simpson come to mind.
    Carlson, sure. Simpson? How so? He was an integral part of our offense, and showed that he can be a good player for us. His base salary last year was only $1.35 million, with incentives and workout bonuses. Total value was $2.1 mil. Compare to Jennings' $5 mil this year (Only gets higher from here on out). Patterson's $1.35 mil for this season. Here's a fun fact. We're stilll Paying Harvin $900,000, Michael Jenkins $666,667. Childs has accounted for nearly $1 million over the past two years, and has not even seen a preseason snap.

    $2 mil for a decent WR is not overpaid for Simpson IMO. He was our #2 receiver for yards, #2 for catches (both behind Jennings) and #2 for YPC (After Wright)

    He also has the fewest drops from starting WRs on our Team (numbers are Total drops, then drop percentage based on targets)(Jennings: 5 4.7%, Patterson: 3 3.9%, Simpson: 1 1.0%, Wright: 1 2.3%, Rudolph: 1 2.2%, Carlson: 1 2.1%, Peterson: 1 2.5%, )
    Dropped Passes - 2013 - NFL Season Statistics

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •