Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoVikesTX View Post
    I don't think Ponder is the main problem. The O-line has been pretty bad also. It seems the blueprint to stop our offense is to send the house to contain Peterson and/or fluster Ponder. We need to counter that somehow with quick screens or something.
    The OL was better yesterday. Ponder was holding on to the ball WAY too long, and instead of stepping up into the pocket he was always rolling. That makes it very hard on the OL. I am not saying that they have been spectacular, but Ponder is making it harder on them than they are making it on Ponder.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  2. #12
    Bill_89 is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    6
    Ponder is not a long term solution in my humble opinion. However, benching him is unlikely to solve much at this point.

    He can make a nice pass every now and then, but as others have observed, he seems to:

    -Stare down receivers
    -Exhibit awful awareness in the pocket
    -Lack zip on the outs and slants
    -Lack confidence and accuracy on the deep ball. I have the unsettling sense that whenever he goes deep, he's essentially chucking up a prayer. Great WR play (one of the sole bright spots of the young season) has bailed him out to this point.

    His main upside is his surprising scrambling ability. However, is ability to buy more time to throw is poor, and bad things always seem to happen when he extends plays to pass. Plus, he's no RGIII, Michael Vick or even Joe Webb on the ground, so this silver lining is pretty dull indeed.

  3. #13
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_89 View Post
    Ponder is not a long term solution in my humble opinion.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  4. #14
    PackSux!'s Avatar
    PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_89 View Post
    Ponder is not a long term solution in my humble opinion. However, benching him is unlikely to solve much at this point.

    He can make a nice pass every now and then, but as others have observed, he seems to:

    -Stare down receivers
    -Exhibit awful awareness in the pocket
    -Lack zip on the outs and slants
    -Lack confidence and accuracy on the deep ball. I have the unsettling sense that whenever he goes deep, he's essentially chucking up a prayer. Great WR play (one of the sole bright spots of the young season) has bailed him out to this point.

    His main upside is his surprising scrambling ability. However, is ability to buy more time to throw is poor, and bad things always seem to happen when he extends plays to pass. Plus, he's no RGIII, Michael Vick or even Joe Webb on the ground, so this silver lining is pretty dull indeed.
    Ponder sucks plain and simple. He couldn't read a defense if his life depended on it. This three year experiment has gone on long enough, it is actually no different than Chilly and the Jackson experiment. The problem is that this goes right to the GM spot and his love for Ponder as we all heard during the preseason games when he was in the booth.

    Total cleaning of the house is what is needed but I got a bad gut feeling that it won't happen for a couple of years. The fact that we are going to be playing outdoors for the next two years is my reasoning that we will have the same staff next year minus some important players.

  5. #15
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,506
    Quote Originally Posted by scottishvike View Post
    As bad as Ponder has played, I honestly think Cassel would be worse. The guy is the epitome of one season wonder and that season was long ago. Apart from that, the problems we have won't be fixed by merely switching QB's. Of course if Ponder continues to regress the way he seems to be right now, he will be benched sooner or later. As at some point Frazier will have to throw the dice to at least try and save himself.
    Well, when Ponder is benched for Cassel (which, is inevitable), I'm afraid we will learn that Cassel is just like Ponder, except he can't run.

    Not sure if either will be here next year...

    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

  6. #16
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    859
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    Well, when Ponder is benched for Cassel (which, is inevitable), I'm afraid we will learn that Cassel is just like Ponder, except he can't run.

    Not sure if either will be here next year...
    There is one thing Cassel can do better than Ponder. He can read the defense and go through his progressions rather than bail out of the pocket if his first read isn't there.
    He can't run as well as Ponder and he also has problems delivering the ball.
    But, if the offense can establish a running game, he may be able to game manage and play the small ball that Musgrave is so enamored with.
    Cassel isn't the answer, but I believe he would win more games than Ponder, providing the O-line can remember how to run block, and establish a sound ground game.

  7. #17
    purplepat is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,496
    Quote Originally Posted by vikesrgreat2 View Post
    And our defense giving up 31+ points for 3 consecutive games makes me sicker!
    I second that!!!! Ponder is far from perfect, but the Vikings have lost their first three games while scoring 24, 30, and 27 points. No one ever thought/accused Ponder of being a QB we could count on to win shootouts. The defense (in particular, the secondary and LBs) need to do a much better job of pass coverage and tackling.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

  8. #18
    rednorsk is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    124
    According to Channel 9 this morning Ponder has sore ribs and may not play in London.
    None

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •