Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Should Vikings bench Christian Ponder?

Should Vikings bench Christian Ponder? | kare11.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ponder still the man as sinking Vikings skip town

Tom Powers: Ponder still the man as sinking Vikings skip town - TwinCities.com

"He's still our starting quarterback," Leslie Frazier said. "You're always trying to do what you can to make our team better but, yeah, he's still our starting quarterback."

Sure you don't want to sleep on that, Les? Maybe if you look at the film you'll change your mind.

"I don't see that," Frasier insisted. "I've got to go back and look at it, see what's creating the inconsistency, see why we're not executing the looks when we need to in certain situations."
    We already know what's creating the inconsistency.....

"It is what it is".........."Ugh!".........."Missed him, bad throw"

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame
    Only the look of his smile makes me sick
    El underdog.

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by El Vikingo View Post
    Only the look of his smile makes me sick
    And our defense giving up 31+ points for 3 consecutive games makes me sicker!

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Ponder at times looks good, but after watching the behind the scenes show on the Dolphins over the summer (on the NFL Network), I see what the coaches see (I think). Ponder thinks too much, and doesn't "let it go" and just react. He doesn't trust his first instinct, and tries to "outwit, outmatch and outlast" the defenses he faces. This leads to him being sacked, rushed or otherwise in a situation that is not winnable, because time is ALWAYS on the defensive side of the ball. The longer they get, the more it is certain something bad is going to happen to the offense.

It would NOT surprise me if something "clicks" with him down the taod, he find his zen spot in the pocket, and becomes a good QB. But I don't think our coaching staff can teach that to him...he will need a change of scenery (ala Young and Brees) to overcome his problems.

I've seen it in football, and especially in Baseball, where trades are more frequent. Players stink up the field, then find to one guy that has the ability to get through to the player, and they become gold. It is time to move ON, for both Ponder AND the Vikings.

P.S. Just read this again:
    "It was a quick throw and we'll have to see on film, I don't know," Ponder said. "I kind of changed my throwing angle a little bit and I just missed him. That's typically a ball I can complete 99 out of 100 times and unfortunately that was the one miss."
    No, he can NOT complete those passes 99 times out of 100. Not at this time.
    Last edited by drewlovs; 09-23-2013 at 12:41 PM.

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    Bench him in favor of who? Cassell has already shown he can't play and that he's an emergency, "give the ball to Peterson" QB. BT or whatever certainly isn't the answer. We're going to sink or swim with Ponder and Frazier and right now it looks like sink.

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

As bad as Ponder has played, I honestly think Cassel would be worse. The guy is the epitome of one season wonder and that season was long ago. Apart from that, the problems we have won't be fixed by merely switching QB's. Of course if Ponder continues to regress the way he seems to be right now, he will be benched sooner or later. As at some point Frazier will have to throw the dice to at least try and save himself.

I don't think Ponder is the main problem. The O-line has been pretty bad also. It seems the blueprint to stop our offense is to send the house to contain Peterson and/or fluster Ponder. We need to counter that somehow with quick screens or something.
    Skol!
    Go Vikings!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    Bench him in favor of who? Cassell has already shown he can't play and that he's an emergency, "give the ball to Peterson" QB. BT or whatever certainly isn't the answer. We're going to sink or swim with Ponder and Frazier and right now it looks like sink.
    When did he show that?

I don't know for sure what we have with Cassel. I suspect he won't be any better than Ponder, but we simply don't know - and won't know until we play him. Cassel looked about as good as Ponder did in preseason, so while he might not be any better, he probably won't be any worse either.

We DO know what we have with Ponder. We have mediocrity. Sometimes he will look good, like the first drive yesterday. Many times he will look bad. Unfortunately we cannot win with a QB who is consistently average at best. And to be fair, he hasn't even been average these last few games. He has been inaccurate, holds the ball for WAY too long, and is staring down his receivers.

Our third down completion percentage is horrible. HORRIBLE. We cannot make the throws when they matter. Sure, we have been decent on first and second downs as compared to the rest of the league. That puts us in a manageable third down situation. But we still can't seem to convert. What is going on here.

Bottom line, we are 0-3, and have lost three games that we should have won. Detroit beat themselves with penalties. We had the Bears on the ropes and let them get away. And Cleveland had 5 turnovers yesterday! 5! Come on...

Something needs to change. I think sitting Ponder COULD be the catalyst for that change. Yes, our defense still needs to step up and play, but one thing at a time here.

Ponder is not the QB of the future for the Vikings. Cassel probably isn't either. But right now we have nothing to lose by switching to Cassel. And everything to gain.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast