Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    MNgriff is offline Rookie

Re: Should the Team look for help at WR through FA 2008?

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    Even if the Pats don't sign Moss, he's never going to come here... EVER AGAIN!!!
    I don't think he'd want to come, and i dont think Chilly/ownership would want to deal with him again.. Plus, Moss needs a veteran presense to keep him in check, plus, he'd just get mad having a developing QB throw to him...

WIth that said, I'm not really sold on Berriman or B. Johnson.. and i think it would take the Barn to pry away Fitz from Arizona.. he is their leading receiver..

hackett would be good, but he's injury prone and Seattle would never let him come here (he was their go to guy when he was healthy for those 2-3 games he played).. plus, isn't he signed beyond this year..??

DJ needs to do something about the bricks attached to his wrists before the vikes consider him.
    Berrian has great size and skill but has a lot to learn about how to run a proper route.
    Moss is the gold at the end of the rainbow of FA WRs but we may be able to get a guy like roy williams at the end of the year in a trade because he'll be in his final contract year.
    Skol

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Frostbite" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    I think those are all guys who can be solid #2 receivers, and we need a #1.

Possibly V....but one or two might actually be a number 1 if given the right opportunity. I look at a guy like Bryant Jackson for example who is basically over-shadowed by Bolden or Patrick Clayton playing on the same team as Terrel Owens and wondering if somewhere else he could break out??

In any case Rice with one of these other guys??? I think it would be an improvement over what we have currently...In My Humble Opinion.

Cheers!
    It's Bryant Johnson, and Patrick Crayton, and Boldin, and Terrell, but anyways, taking a gamble on a backup WR to improve is what we did last year. You want to do the exact same thing again. I can't even think of the last receiver to noticeably improve when given more playing time.

Johnson looks like he could be good, but I would rather try to pry Fitz away (which is not happening). Crayton just looks like an ok guy who is benefitting from a great QB and several weapons around him.

These guys are ok if we get a marquee QB throwing them the ball, but if we stick with TJ, we'll need a bigger threat. IMO it's worth trading a high pick for.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

HaHa!
    lol!
    We could sign Moss and Culpepper, they're both UFA!!

Well, Rice may develop into a true no.1 for us...I like Wade in the slot...Ferguson's play has improved...TWill looks better, when given an oppurtunity.
    Fact is, at 12 pass attempts in a game, isn't very much to go around...that alone could tick off the Moss.
    Unless, he's matured to the point of realizing, that he wouldn't have to work so hard with our powerful rushing attack...?
    Maybe.
    He might take less $$$ to remain a Patriot too...he seems pretty happy there.
    Just imagine how the attention he gets in the secondary would help open up our run game!

I found this list, did a little research and put it in order of my preferences...

http://footballsfuture.com/2008/nfl/freeagentsWR.html

Bryant Johnson might be a good pickup.
    He's third at ARI, so, less likely to stay.
    Good size at 6'3" over 200 lbs...five years experience and the size to block downfield.

CAR has struggled at QB with Delhome out, but I know some fantasy football "experts" were real big on Drew Carter being a sleeper this year before the season...another 6'3" guy.

If the Broncos don't sign Stokely, he might be a good veteran presence...but, once again, not a true no.1 WR!

Check out Andre Davis' averages per catch...18.6 this year, 21.1 in 05, 26 in 04...granted, he doesn't have a ton of receptions, but wow...two 99 yard TDs in 04!
    Must be some YAC there.

I get the feeling that the Cowboys want to keep Crayton, but he's had some decent games playing opposite TO.

Berrian seems to be good for about 1 big grab a game...given CHI's QB issues, he might be better than advertised...then again, given our QB issues?
    And, being CHI's no.1 WR, seems they'd want to keep him.

IDK, but some of those second tier guys might not really be a step up...we haven't really seen a whole lot of what our guys can do...and then, there is still Allison in the wings, and Nance and Filani on the practice squad.

I fully agree with the people who want to keep Chester Taylor a Viking!!!
    You simply have to have depth at RB, that position takes a beating!
    Having him and AP is looking pretty freakin good to me!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"mountainviking" wrote:
    HaHa!
    lol!
    We could sign Moss and Culpepper, they're both UFA!!

Well, Rice may develop into a true no.1 for us...I like Wade in the slot...Ferguson's play has improved...TWill looks better, when given an oppurtunity.
    Fact is, at 12 pass attempts in a game, isn't very much to go around...that alone could tick off the Moss.
    Unless, he's matured to the point of realizing, that he wouldn't have to work so hard with our powerful rushing attack...?
    Maybe.
    He might take less $$$ to remain a Patriot too...he seems pretty happy there.
    Just imagine how the attention he gets in the secondary would help open up our run game!

I found this list, did a little research and put it in order of my preferences...

http://footballsfuture.com/2008/nfl/freeagentsWR.html

Bryant Johnson might be a good pickup.
    He's third at ARI, so, less likely to stay.
    Good size at 6'3" over 200 lbs...five years experience and the size to block downfield.

CAR has struggled at QB with Delhome out, but I know some fantasy football "experts" were real big on Drew Carter being a sleeper this year before the season...another 6'3" guy.

If the Broncos don't sign Stokely, he might be a good veteran presence...but, once again, not a true no.1 WR!

Check out Andre Davis' averages per catch...18.6 this year, 21.1 in 05, 26 in 04...granted, he doesn't have a ton of receptions, but wow...two 99 yard TDs in 04!
    Must be some YAC there.

I get the feeling that the Cowboys want to keep Crayton, but he's had some decent games playing opposite TO.

Berrian seems to be good for about 1 big grab a game...given CHI's QB issues, he might be better than advertised...then again, given our QB issues?
    And, being CHI's no.1 WR, seems they'd want to keep him.

IDK, but some of those second tier guys might not really be a step up...we haven't really seen a whole lot of what our guys can do...and then, there is still Allison in the wings, and Nance and Filani on the practice squad.

I fully agree with the people who want to keep Chester Taylor a Viking!!!
    You simply have to have depth at RB, that position takes a beating!
    Having him and AP is looking pretty freakin good to me!
    Very nice post my friend.

Thanks for the list.

Throw in one of these guys so that the D can get off the field more and the offense would have more reps as well as the lattitude to gamble on a few more passing plays knowing that the opposing team wouldn't score every time and they would get the ball back if they 3 and out on a couple of series.

http://footballsfuture.com/2008/nfl/freeagentsDL.html

Trust me, the scenario that our Defense can't get off the field at times weights on a coaches brain as he is calling plays.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Here is the list from KFFL on the 2008 FA WRs

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=WR&y=2008

[center]Pos[center] [center]Player Name[center] [center]FA Status[center] [center]Team[center]
    WR Rashied Davis RFA Chicago Bears
    WR Carlyle Holiday RFA Green Bay Packers
    WR Jerome Mathis RFA Houston Texans
    WR Chris M. Davis RFA Miami Dolphins
    WR Lance Moore RFA New Orleans Saints
    WR Malcom Floyd RFA San Diego Chargers
    WR B.J. Johnson RFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers

[center]Pos[center] [center]Player Name[center] [center]FA Status[center] [center]Team[center]
    WR Bryant Johnson UFA Arizona Cardinals
    WR Devard Darling UFA Baltimore Ravens
    WR Sam Aiken UFA Buffalo Bills
    WR Drew Carter UFA Carolina Panthers
    WR Keary Colbert UFA Carolina Panthers
    WR Bernard Berrian UFA Chicago Bears
    WR Antonio Chatman UFA Cincinnati Bengals
    WR Patrick Crayton UFA Dallas Cowboys
    WR Brandon Stokley UFA Denver Broncos
    WR Marcus Robinson UFA Detroit Lions
    WR Ruvell Martin UFA Green Bay Packers
    WR Andre' Davis UFA Houston Texans
    WR Samie Parker UFA Kansas City Chiefs
    WR Troy Brown UFA New England Patriots
    WR David Patten UFA New Orleans Saints
    WR Terrance Copper UFA New Orleans Saints
    WR Tim Carter UFA New York Giants
    WR Doug Gabriel UFA Oakland Raiders
    WR D.J. Hackett UFA Seattle Seahawks
    WR Skyler Fulton UFA Seattle Seahawks
    WR Eric Moulds UFA Tennessee Titans
    WR Justin Gage UFA Tennessee Titans
    WR Keenan McCardell UFA Washington Redskins

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

if we could get troy brown from the pats i think that would be a good pickup.
    I know he's getting old, and probably not as fast anymore, but the good thing about older recievers who've been around for a while is that they usually have great hands and great route runnings.
    he'd be the veteran presence that we need on this offense, and if worse comes to worse, he can also play some nickelback for us like he did in NE.

if anythin he'd be an excellent stop-gap solution while rice and TJ progress.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I say we pick the Seachickens pocket again, and go after this fine prospect...

WR D.J. Hackett UFA Seattle Seahawks

;D

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"El" wrote:
    André Davis(Houston Texans)
    Man, that would be awesome.

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

"C" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    "SiniSSter" wrote:
    in the games ive seen it doesn't seem like Williamson is getting the ball much, but when he does i havent seen any drops like last year. rice stays. maybe trade chester taylor for a good established receiver? idk if hes a free agent next year or not.
    [size=18pt]NO!![/size]

CT & AD will be a powerhouse tandem for years, it would be dumb to trade away Taylor, what if AD gets hurt again (god forbid).
    Unless we resign Mewelde after this year we're losting him after this season, we need to keep a quality back up.
    Trading away a good RB in a rush first offense would be a bad move.

At the beginning of the season I would have been all for this trade, but now seeing that we have the best back-field in the NFL... I want it to stay that way.

Taylor can definitely handle the load, but I think he makes even a better compliment to AP. I think this tandem is may favorite part of the team right now. I'd hate to see it go.
    If we could trade CT and a draft pick for Larry Fitzgerald, would you honestly be opposed?
    The fact is that RB's like Taylor are more easily replaceable than impact WR's.
    We could resign MeMo (who has led this team in rushing one season), and find a decent RB in the mid rounds of the draft for depth.
    A team like Arizona may want a RB to ease into Edge's role.
    I'm all for trading CT for a big time receiving threat.

As far as free acency, I like Johnson and Berrian the best out of anyone available.
    They are veterans but not too old yet.
    Both have speed and running abilities.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"jkjuggalo" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    "SiniSSter" wrote:
    in the games ive seen it doesn't seem like Williamson is getting the ball much, but when he does i havent seen any drops like last year. rice stays. maybe trade chester taylor for a good established receiver? idk if hes a free agent next year or not.
    [size=18pt]NO!![/size]

CT & AD will be a powerhouse tandem for years, it would be dumb to trade away Taylor, what if AD gets hurt again (god forbid).
    Unless we resign Mewelde after this year we're losting him after this season, we need to keep a quality back up.
    Trading away a good RB in a rush first offense would be a bad move.

At the beginning of the season I would have been all for this trade, but now seeing that we have the best back-field in the NFL... I want it to stay that way.

Taylor can definitely handle the load, but I think he makes even a better compliment to AP. I think this tandem is may favorite part of the team right now. I'd hate to see it go.
    If we could trade CT and a draft pick for Larry Fitzgerald, would you honestly be opposed?
    The fact is that RB's like Taylor are more easily replaceable than impact WR's.
    We could resign MeMo (who has led this team in rushing one season), and find a decent RB in the mid rounds of the draft for depth.
    A team like Arizona may want a RB to ease into Edge's role.
    I'm all for trading CT for a big time receiving threat.

As far as free acency, I like Johnson and Berrian the best out of anyone available.
    They are veterans but not too old yet.
    Both have speed and running abilities.
    I suck at finding stuff like this so I don't know how true it is, but one of the local sports radio guys was talking to a guest and he said that Fitz is expected to meet playing time and production incentive standards that will boost his 2008 salary to over $14 million.

With the exception of Edge has anyone seen anything to think that the Cardinals are willing to pay salaries like that?

He also said something along the lines that they really need to watch thier budget and they they need to extend the contracts of LBs Karlos Dansby and Calvin Pace.

He really believed that the Cards would get something done that would extend Fritz's contract thus eliminating the huge hit to allow the Cards to sign other players.

With that said, I wonder if he is even available for a trade or as a FA in 2009.

Again, no link, just some talk on the radio.
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast