Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Formo is offline Team Alumni

Re: Should Hicks stay at left tackle

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    So Freeney gets past Hicks once and he is horrible?
    Let's see how many times Mt McKinnie gets burned when he returns to the line up.
    I expect there will be a lot more screaming at the TV...

I honestly believe that Hicks has performed better in pass protection these past three games than we have ever seen from McKinnie.
    McKinnie is better in the rushing game, to be sure, but our running game is still good without him.
    Plus McKinnie has shown nothing but poor decision making off the field since he got here.

Obviously McKinnie will get his starting job back in week 5.
    But if he continues to play poorly against the pass rush, then I would rather offload him for a second round pick and a young OL in the offseason.

Nobody said Hicks is horrible but nobody is crowing him the first string job and I don't think that would be a good idea. Hicks is on pace for 8 sacks and McKinnie had 7 last season. Hicks got a holding call on the first play of offensive season while McKinnie had one the entire year last season. McKinnie is very sound in the penalty department while I don't trust Hicks. McKinnie gave up most of his sacks to a couple players who are very good at what they do, JA one of them is with the team now and prepares McKinnie for Speed Rushers every week. I think McKinnie is every bit of the Pass Blocker Hicks is and likely better. I think McKinnie adds a dimension to the offense and I can't wait to see him back in action because everyone else on the line is playing pretty good football right now. In the End I think McKinnie will get his job back and never look back.
    Oh, no doubt about it..
    McKinnie will get his job back.
    I didn't know those stats about him from last year though..
    Nice research.

I'm just happy that they have backup for McKinnie that we know can PLAY.
    Remember, Hicks gave up sacks to who?
    KGB?
    Kampman?
    Freeney?
    Peppers?
    I'm not sure.. but all 4 of those guys are elite DEs.
    How many more DEs will the Vikings face in the tier of those I just mentioned?
    Not many, I assume.

When Mount McKinnie comes back, I'll, much like Nodak, be having him under my microscope.
    I still think he's good trade fodder for a talented TE.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I would trade him if his play was a factor or his personal behavior became a problem. I think alchohol makes McKinnie brave, if he can avoid those situations and pick up where he left off in the preaseason and last year he should have a good shot at remaining with the team. He's right about to turn 29 years of age but a guy like him can probably play to 33 easily, hopefully his best years are in front of him. McKinnie, Hutchison, Birk/Sullivan, Herrera, and Cook is solid for years to come.

We have a couple very talented TE's on the team right know in Visanthe Shancoe and Garrett Mills. I think they will remain with the team and suceed while we continue to build through the draft. Hopefully we won't need to trade anyone and we can build great depth.

Shancoes fumbles and drops are wearing thin but he's also had some bad luck with defenders doing a tremendous job of putting a hat on it. The TD he droped last week was killer but I think he's gonna have plenty of opportunities to turn it around. A good TD catch yesterday is a start. His best catching and recieving games have come with a quarterback other that Tarvaris Jackson, I think he's a weapon for Frerotte and a guy he will certainly look too.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"Formo" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Let's see how many times Mt McKinnie gets burned when he returns to the line up.

I honestly believe that Hicks has performed better in pass protection these past three games than we have ever seen from McKinnie.
    McKinnie is better in the rushing game, to be sure, but our running game is still good without him.
    Plus McKinnie has shown nothing but poor decision making off the field since he got here.

But if he continues to play poorly against the pass rush, then I would rather offload him for a second round pick and a young OL in the offseason.

Nobody said Hicks is horrible but nobody is crowing him the first string job and I don't think that would be a good idea. Hicks is on pace for 8 sacks and McKinnie had 7 last season. Hicks got a holding call on the first play of offensive season while McKinnie had one the entire year last season. McKinnie is very sound in the penalty department while I don't trust Hicks. McKinnie gave up most of his sacks to a couple players who are very good at what they do, JA one of them is with the team now and prepares McKinnie for Speed Rushers every week. I think McKinnie is every bit of the Pass Blocker Hicks is and likely better. I think McKinnie adds a dimension to the offense and I can't wait to see him back in action because everyone else on the line is playing pretty good football right now. In the End I think McKinnie will get his job back and never look back.
    Oh, no doubt about it..
    Nice research.

KGB?
    Kampman?
    Freeney?
    Peppers?
    Not many, I assume.

When Mount McKinnie comes back, I'll, much like Nodak, be having him under my microscope.

Mac is the man

"Formo" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

Oh, no doubt about it..
    Nice research.

KGB?
    Kampman?
    Freeney?
    Peppers?
    Not many, I assume.

The only thing I disagree with is use picks to try and get a QB.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.- John Adams

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456