Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Shit can JA!

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    #3 - he will be a free agent after the 2013-2014 NFL season, I am not sure I made that clear.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Jared Allen is a Bad Ass, pay the man and keep him a Vikings for the rest of his career.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Nothing to see hear folks, move along.
    Everyone knows that Marr loves the underdog. He prefers to pull for the unknown, unproven in favor of the star player. Trading JA would be stupid. Sometimes a players presence helps to affect the way a defense gameplans for you. The other teams never knows if we will get JA from last week or 4 sack JA. Imagine how poor or team would be without JA.

The tampa 2 has been beaten. Teams are running from it. Our LBs cannot cover or play it. Erin got beat twice and you think its the 1 DE that we have that should be moved. Thinking like that is why teams like the Browns never, ever get better. They are always chasing the next young hidden talent instead of believing in their eyes and stats. You don't trade a 22 sack artist that is not even 30.
    What teams are running from it?

And ohhhhhh by the by......Did you see our young underdogs get it done yesterday without JA (tweaked neck).

Don't get me wrong, he finally got a nice play in when we needed it, but were was he the rest of the game? He surely wasn't demanding doubles like you always contend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I like Jared Allen. He brings a swagger to the team that we sorely need - and certainly don't deserve. He gives us something to look forward to - the possibility that he will "get his" while the rest of the team wallows in mediocrity (or worse).

...with that in mind, I think our BEST option would be to trade him.

His value is high, and we need the picks to rebuild...DESPERATELY.

Problem there is, do we trust the guys drafting/coaching to make good use of the opportunity of presented?

So, on one hand, we keep JA, and he goes the way of Kevin Williams - high priced place holder who used to be good...

...or we trade him, get solid value, and Frazier & Company blow the picks or fail to coach them properly.

It's a crap shoot.

Caine
    We have been agreeing on to much of late.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by digital420 View Post
    I agree it's a heavy price tag for a below avg team looking at maybe 2 years more of JA

Quick answers..
    - Leadership.. i can't remember where i read it.. but several players have mentioned the drive and work ethic JA has.. many are mentioned.. AD, PH to name a few.. but lets just take our DE's.. who better for them to see, learn from, and have that drive instilled in them to be the best.. push harder and harder.. I would take this any day over a.. headcase ego filled star who thinks everyone should worship him for his skillz..

Just the way JA handeled some of the pre-season bs.. how will MK stand up to JA.. who will win.. how many times will JA hand Matty his arse.. what was Jared's take.. "Why should I try to learn to beat him, do I ever play him? I want to work together, both of us Grow, Learn, and improve our Technique, and the system we're working in" This goes a LOONG way toward the TEAM first mentality.. and the more STARS of the NFL that shove this into the heads of the up and comers.. the better for us.

right so JA gets lets sa 25 sacks.. breaks the record.. we go 6-10.. in the end it means nothing for us.. maybe a win here or there.. we see the value of him, other teams drool on the value of him.. I would be sad to watch a trade happen. but I'd also know that.. JA will get a shot with a team that IS a contender, they get a piece of the puzzle that they need to be more then a contender.. and we get.. 3 pics? maybe mix of pics/development players.. it's mute to try and say lets trade him now.. that window shut.. you need an offseason to work with your linemates.. learn your system.. the blitzes, slants, and the fine tuning of a solid D line.. IF this is a possible scenario.. i believe it will be at the end of the year.. but what did we gain?

1. his experience in the film room.. BR, Griffen and whatever cats we have learn from one of the best all year

2. the D gets that little extra umph that JA brings this year to help them grow

3. Our Dline coach, D cord.. and coaches in general.. hopefully learn a bit.. as.. everyone can learn from the best player in that position.

4. we get to CHEER as JA slams Rodgers around.. (thats kinda worth it all anyways) at least for one more year.

; )

DiGiTaL
    You know, thats a damn good post with very little that I can disagree with, however, I still have my standard points....

a. I do not believe that the Vets bring as much to the table as most on here when it comes to film study and getting ready for the next game. I still contend that its the coaches job to do that stuff.

b. The D got a little extra umpfh yesterday when the younger cats were in there. So much so that it had me rethinking the whole 0 tech requirement I have so steadfastly defended since the decline and eventual loss of Phat Pat.

I am really hopeful that next week we see alot more of Rob, Griff, Ballard and Guion. The way they flip/flopped Rob and Griff on the DE positions as well as the additional flop of moving Griff inside and Ballard out was very very cool, almost to the point of looking like the Giants and the way they use their DLmen all over the place to confuse the OL.

Sure, the sacks weren't there, but as I've said so many times, I don't really count sacks as being that important. I want to see consistent pressure so that we are always forcing the QB off his spot and throwing on the move. That stuff will start to increase the INT's my friends....

On a side note, no one has mentioned how well Ponder seems to function on the move. Very very very good thing to see my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Really? I believe I can pull up my last second loss spreadsheet and come up with enough to counter your point. Right off the top of my head there was this season opener against Indy where we led the majority of the game but got burned in the last quarter or so by the pass and ended up losing as time ran out.

They held up your end but not all fans ends. IMHO INT's are crucial because they end drives, take away points, and give our offense more opportunity to score or at least win the field position battle. That field position battle is key and it has cost us plenty of games.

Yeah, the rush defense is worse but that doesn't make the secondary play better, it just means we now have a new problem that needs to be addressed.
    I think I've poked at this stuff enough after the 9rs win to not respond to most of this, but I will ask about your first point....

The first 3 or 4 games we did blow huge leads on, but it wasn't because of the DB's alone. Even Jared admitted that the DLmen were tired and not ready to play full games.

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer
    I really dislike this notion that a lot of Viking fans have that is "hey we have a great player! Lets get rid of him!" I understand the logic that if you get the right trade, than pull the trigger. BUT we live in the real world, and unless you are trading with the Al Davis era raiders, you probably wont get a 1st, and a 2nd.
    But lets just say we even settle for a first for him. You draft that player, with the HOPE that he is as good as Allen, so esentially you are trading a stud, for an unknown. Worked so well with Troy Williamson, but who needs to remember the past, how inept we were after AMIRIGHT?

Secondly, as others stated, Jared brings a presence to this team. Ok, Griffen might be good (sorry but he hasn't shown me he can be anywhere near as Allen yet, actually, he hasn't shown anyone that, so take your purple shades off until he becomes a regular started or at least a more solid contributor. Still, nonetheless, Griffen, and our other youngbloods will be well served from even playing with Allen, because his style of play and mindset will rub off on them, giving us players like him in the future.
    I have never been good at conclusions, so pretend I said something nice to wrap this all up.

Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    Unfortunately for us, the Vikings are the only team that didn't get the memo. Our offense is stuck in the 70's. Not only are we still trying to pound the ball, but we're trying to do it against 8 man fronts. Too bad it wasn't our defense that was still stuck in the 70's.

But no, hang on to JA, he's the only thing worth watching on defense.
    Still trying to figure out who all the teams are that don't play a version/variant of the C2 or T2 to make you consistently say how dead of a scheme it is. Please enlighten me.

By the way, JA is not the only thing worth watching on defense. I'd start with just Chad as a cat to watch, would then move on to Smith and probably round it out with Griff as starters.

Guion is just starting to come into his own, Ballard is another cat that just needs to see some field time and Rob is one of those stalwart, get it done without alot of flash types of cats.

Seriously, JA is the only thing you think is worth watching?

Quote Originally Posted by vikes2456 View Post
    I really dislike this notion that a lot of Viking fans have that is "hey we have a great player! Lets get rid of him!" I understand the logic that if you get the right trade, than pull the trigger. BUT we live in the real world, and unless you are trading with the Al Davis era raiders, you probably wont get a 1st, and a 2nd.
    But lets just say we even settle for a first for him. You draft that player, with the HOPE that he is as good as Allen, so esentially you are trading a stud, for an unknown. Worked so well with Troy Williamson, but who needs to remember the past, how inept we were after AMIRIGHT?

Secondly, as others stated, Jared brings a presence to this team. Ok, Griffen might be good (sorry but he hasn't shown me he can be anywhere near as Allen yet, actually, he hasn't shown anyone that, so take your purple shades off until he becomes a regular started or at least a more solid contributor. Still, nonetheless, Griffen, and our other youngbloods will be well served from even playing with Allen, because his style of play and mindset will rub off on them, giving us players like him in the future.
    I have never been good at conclusions, so pretend I said something nice to wrap this all up.
    Good discussion points my friend.

How you gonna find out how good the new kids are if you don't start to take reps away from the good guys.

Also, how big of a hole would his loss have been so far this year?

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by vikes2456 View Post

No need for a tidy conclusion, you make a good point. I agree that it is improbable that there would be very many teams that would give us the price that we think he's worth. His worth to the Vikings very likely could be higher than it is to many other teams. Largely for the reasons you state. He is a leader with the right attitude, he helps set the tone for our defense. He's been in a funk, that is not helping his trade value much, but does lead to a lot more fans agreeing to the desire to trade. If he was on the same pace as last year, less fans would want to see him go, and his trade value would be higher.

If Griffen really is as good as JA, then the luxury of having them both, is probably too high, and the trade makes more sense. That argument I can get on board with, but it is a leap of faith at this point.

I personally like the mixture of young talent with proven veterans.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast