Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:Shiancoe, Vikings talking contract extension

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    So our only issue is what his Madden rating is as it relates to if he is a top 5 TE.

No one has any questions about why the staff is talking to him about contract extensions and not anyone else?

I wonder if Chads agent knew this was going on.
    doesn't matter, since Shanks rating in madden was better than Chads last year.
    Ohhhh brother...... :laugh:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro wrote:
    So our only issue is what his Madden rating is as it relates to if he is a top 5 TE.

No one has any questions about why the staff is talking to him about contract extensions and not anyone else?

I don't know. It's a valid question, but lets see if anything gets done. Even this article mentions that nothing is close at the moment. I would guess plenty of agents are talking to the team all the time anyway.

My thoughts are that the Vikings would be foolish to extend Shiancoe in the $5-7 million/year range at this point. He has two years left on his contract at $2.1 and then $3.1 million (link). He's 30 years old and will be no spring chicken when his contract is up. He hasn't threatened to hold out. There is a lot of uncertainty with the labor agreement going forward.

I've been wrong before, but I really think this is a wait and see type deal.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Overlord wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

I don't know. It's a valid question, but lets see if anything gets done. Even this article mentions that nothing is close at the moment. I would guess plenty of agents are talking to the team all the time anyway.

My thoughts are that the Vikings would be foolish to extend Shiancoe in the $5-7 million/year range at this point. He has two years left on his contract at $2.1 and then $3.1 million (link). He's 30 years old and will be no spring chicken when his contract is up. He hasn't threatened to hold out. There is a lot of uncertainty with the labor agreement going forward.

The uncertaintanty of the labor agreement should prevent nearly all none urgent deals from getting done, I think we have seen alot of that already.
    No team wants, for example, to offer a big contract only to find out later that the whole thing is going to be 100% guaranteed, even if the player gets cut or injured. Just too many unknowns.

jmcdon00 wrote:
    Overlord wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

The uncertaintanty of the labor agreement should prevent nearly all none urgent deals from getting done, I think we have seen alot of that already.
    No team wants, for example, to offer a big contract only to find out later that the whole thing is going to be 100% guaranteed, even if the player gets cut or injured. Just too many unknowns.
    Agree with both of you on all counts, however, coma, if in fact talks are going on, I can see why guys like Chad, AD, Ray, are voicing thier displeasure, if in fact they really are.

Kindof a bad move from FO who hasn't really made many bad moves since Foley was shitcanned.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Vikings tight end Visanthe Shiancoe declines comment on desire for contract extension
    Pro Football Weekly reported Shiancoe would like to be paid about $5 million to $7 million per season, which would make him one of the five highest-paid tight ends in the NFL. He signed a five-year, $18.2 million contract with Minnesota in 2007 and has two years left on that deal.

Shiancoe declined to comment on the report when reached by the Pioneer Press on Tuesday. But he emphasized he's eager for the coming season and that he plans to "set the bar higher" after his career year.

"I'm just out here working hard trying to become an even more viable receiver for this team," Shiancoe said.
    I don't know if this means anything, but there it is. I'm pretty sure players only have two options when asked about new contracts: 1) I want more money; or 2) I'm just focusing on my game. I'm trying to think if I know any player that ever came right out and said he was satisfied with his current contract, but I'm not sure that exists.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Shiancoe not talking about a new contract

Three things that are good here:

Vikings FO is under-rated at spotting value

Shiancoe isnt a top 5 TE

Shiancoe is saying anything to make this more of a distraction.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Marrdro wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    Overlord wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Agree with both of you on all counts, however, coma, if in fact talks are going on, I can see why guys like Chad, AD, Ray, are voicing thier displeasure, if in fact they really are.

Kindof a bad move from FO who hasn't really made many bad moves since Foley was shitcanned.
    Meh, It's a business, they can pick and choose who they deal with.
    Could be something along the lines of Shank wants an incentive ladden deal, and the others want guaranteed money. The team wants to give out incentive ladden deals and not guarantee contracts.
    We just don't have all the info to know who's getting what and why.

jmcdon00 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    Overlord wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Could be something along the lines of Shank wants an incentive ladden deal, and the others want guaranteed money. The team wants to give out incentive ladden deals and not guarantee contracts.
    Your probably right on all counts. I just don't think we need to muddy the waters any more than we have to, speaking from a FO/Player perspective.

As close as this team is to being a SB contender this year and for many years to come, we surely don't need to be messing with the chemistry this way, if in fact it is happening.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    Overlord wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Your probably right on all counts. I just don't think we need to muddy the waters any more than we have to, speaking from a FO/Player perspective.

As close as this team is to being a SB contender this year and for many years to come, we surely don't need to be messing with the chemistry this way, if in fact it is happening.
    Clearly he deserves to be paid as well as any other mid level TE.

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

Shank is top 5 TE because I can't name 5 I'd rather have.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast