Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Here is a post about measureables and how the Seahawks are looking at players:

Measureables:

In addition to all the data we'll be getting on players' physical speed and strength, the baseline height/weights will be disclosed, and the arm length, wingspan, and hand size measurements will be dissected. I actually think this part is more important than a lot of the tests, because frankly, you can't teach a player to grow longer arms or bigger hands, and you can't coach height. You can get a player in an NFL weight room, make him bigger/faster/stronger with the right exercise and training, but nothing you can do can change a players' height or armspan.

Seattle has a known predilection for players with 'length', as Jared pointed out yesterday. Guys with long arms and big hands take precedence over guys with the simple height advantage. Guys with height AND long arms and big hands? Those guys are the ones to key in on.

In the Path to the Draft segment I mentioned above in which Mike Lombardi described Al Davis' Draft philosophy, he mentioned too that hand size and arm length were hugely important measureables that Davis would obsess over. "That was huge. He believed big hands were like weapons, especially for defensive players. Because, when you could push those hands into somebody, they were really like weapons. The long arms, the length, really helped, especially as we got into a one-gap scheme in the NFL - because the longer the length, the better the defender could close out the gap. He used to love the basketball teams of Syracuse - they played a 2-3 zone, that became a 3-3 zone because of the long arms. That's what he wanted - he wanted a long team, and he wanted a big-hand team."

This sounds familiar. Keep an eye on guys with big hands and long arms, because that length and size is important to the Seahawks scouting department, both on defense, and for receivers/tight ends and offensive linemen.
    NFL Combine tests explained, & what the results mean to the Seahawks - Field Gulls

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    how do they measure wingspan?
    I posted the photos. I hit Post Quick Reply instead of Go Advanced to post the photos, so it was bare.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Sharrif Floyd Has Short Arms

All the measures bless are nice and all but the team isn't making cookies, it's building a team and the thing you cannot measure that has more impact than arm length is heart, grit and determination. If he has those his arm length is not going to be a problem. If he doesn't have them the rest is academic.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Arm strength give a slight advantage but not much. Also we are talking about a matter of inches.
    More important is leverage, explosion and cajones.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Arm strength give a slight advantage but not much. Also we are talking about a matter of inches.
    I think it's more about positioning. If you have longer arms than the guy trying to block you, your hands get to him first, that's a tremendous advantage.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    I think it's more about positioning. If you have longer arms than the guy trying to block you, your hands get to him first, that's a tremendous advantage.
    Slight not tremendous.
    You have to factor in strength, height, and pop.
    DT's rarely care about arm length because most of their power comes from the drive in legs. As a DT you are going to get touched. Fact of life.
    DE's try not to get engaged by the tackles so arm length means something.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Slight not tremendous.
    You have to factor in strength, height, and pop.
    DT's rarely care about arm length because most of their power comes from the drive in legs. As a DT you are going to get touched. Fact of life.
    DE's try not to get engaged by the tackles so arm length means something.
    Agreed completely.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Short doesn't mean no good. Hell, I'm 51 years old, have something short, and just became a Dad for the second time.....LOL short does and can work fine!

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Exactly, as in our very own HOFer, John Randle.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    I don't believe they measure those at the combine.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast