Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Hey, those are really humorous pics!

I do worry about his arms though. Watch Shariff's highlights; he sometimes has trouble wrapping on tackles.

I notice he did not do bench reps at the combine. Was this for fear of a poor showing?
    Umm... that's not the part of having short arms that worries a coach. I don't care much about a defensive tackle's tackling ability compared to all the other positions on defense. Due to the fact that a DT works in the most confined space and has the size that works to his advantage, tackling demands less skills.

The advantage of long arms are that they make it easier to keep the offensive lineman from grabbing your body. I don't worry that much though. A defensive lineman who has good hand technique and actively use his arms will win the battles.

As for not participating in the bench press, I don't know why Sherrif didn't, but short arms are actually an advantage on the bench as the bar has a shorter way to travel from A to B.

I'm a fairly fit man, but I have long arms and I suck at the bench, barely able to lift 90 kg. Perhaps with focused training on improving the bench result I can get up to 110 kg or something, but it's definitely not my best exercise.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    I have long arms, large hands, and big feet... if you know what I mean
    I know exactly what you mean. I have short arms, small hands & small feet. I agree it doesn't mean shit.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    His arms are shorter from years of pushing all those big, heavy lineman down on their asses.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    I have long arms, large hands, and big feet... if you know what I mean
    I know exactly what you mean. I have short arms, small hands & small feet. I agree it doesn't mean shit.
    Now THAT'S funny...touché!

Never thought it would happen, but, we actually agree on something...
    Last edited by MaxVike; 05-04-2013 at 09:09 AM.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    Umm... that's not the part of having short arms that worries a coach. I don't care much about a defensive tackle's tackling ability compared to all the other positions on defense. Due to the fact that a DT works in the most confined space and has the size that works to his advantage, tackling demands less skills.
    Wrapping is unimportant for linemen compared to other positions? I disagree. Adrian Peterson has made a career out of linemen who cannot wrap him up at the line.

Again, watch the video; Sharrif also does not wrap the quarterback and often needs help on sacks. Arm length sometimes matters. I would say more so for ends than tackles, but it matters.

The advantage of long arms are that they make it easier to keep the offensive lineman from grabbing your body. I don't worry that much though. A defensive lineman who has good hand technique and actively use his arms will win the battles.
    I agree, coaches worry about his ability to get out of hand fights or his ability to grab the outside of the pads, get loose, and push off one way or another.

That does not mean Floyd will bust; it just means that he has a physical disadvantage that may have allowed scouts to overlook him. I hope he shows that his quickness and motor will prove to be the deciding factors.

HEY
    Blog Entries
    Wrapping is unimportant for linemen compared to other positions? I disagree. Adrian Peterson has made a career out of linemen who cannot wrap him up at the line.
    Don't twist my words! What I try to say is that the tackling skills of a defensive lineman is obviously less demanding than any other position on the defense. Why? Because they have the advantage of size and working in a confined space. Trying to make a tackle on a running back weighting 20 pounds more than you who is running full speed at you in the open field demands much more skills.

Also, the length of the arm doesn't determine whether a lineman brings down Peterson. Sure, that little inch might help reaching the RB, but it's the strength that's important. It doesn't help if you can reach the RB if you can't hold on to him.

Like I've mention before: It's not about the size, but how you use it

Question....

How long are Antoine Winfield's arms? He's probably the best tackling specimen I've ever seen.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

HEY
    Blog Entries
    A little off topic here, but...
    How do the NFL measure arm length?

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    A little off topic here, but...
    How do the NFL measure arm length?
    Arm Length

Wingspan

Last edited by Minniman; 05-04-2013 at 02:12 PM.

HEY
    Blog Entries
    Wingspan
    how do they measure wingspan?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast