Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    My list is significantly different, mostly because I think Ponder will be OK....

DT's
    Star Lotulelei
    Sharif Floyd
    Sheldon Richardson
    Sylvester Williams

WR's
    Justin Hunter
    Cordarrelle Patterson
    DeAndre Hopkins (could be a reach but won't be there in the 2nd)

MLB/OLB
    Kevin Minter (could be a reach but won't be there in teh second)
    Manti Teo
    Alec Ogletree (but only if Erin moves inside)

This class is deep at CB's, especially C2 cats. We can get a starter into the 4th.
    I could see adding Hunter to my list. I don't know about Hopkins or Minter, unless we trade down (which I would be OK with). I just don't think that they warrant a #28 pick. Technically the same can be said for Nassib, but I think he goes to the Jags with the 34th overall if someone doesn't take him in the first, so there isn't really much trading down to be done.

And while the CB position is deep, there is a drop off of talent after the first three or four. So if one is there when we pick, I would be happy with grabbing them. Especially since we have another first rounder to use on WR/MLB.

My biggest concern is MLB - mostly because the talent level drops off SO much after the top three or four are off the board.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I guess there aren't any MLB candidates in this draft then, because all the draft sites classify them as ILB.
    Thanks, tastywaves! haha just what I was thinking.

At least we ALL can agree on one thing: a 3-4 linebacker is called an inside linebacker! (are they the only two linebackers in the scheme, that's a whole other discussion )

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    Thanks, tastywaves! haha just what I was thinking.

At least we ALL can agree on one thing: a 3-4 linebacker is called an inside linebacker! (are they the only two linebackers in the scheme, that's a whole other discussion )
    It just depends on what defensive scheme they played in during college... most of these sites don't do enough research to actually use the correct terminology.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    It just depends on what defensive scheme they played in during college... most of these sites don't do enough research to actually use the correct terminology.
    Actually, they just don't use a MLB tag or category as it creates too many fields. Call them lazy.

My point was simply that when reading these draft sites and you see the term ILB, you can't assume they are referring to strictly a 3-4 ILB as they are not.

Hmmm... most draft sites and experts already categorize the two positions as "inside linebackers".

.. but yeah, sure! We can all define "ILB" as only the inside linebacker in the 3-4, BUT what are we then going to call the inside linebacker in a 4-3 AND 3-4 as a GROUP?
    Well, one thing you'll notice about draft "experts"... they're often wrong.

HEY
    Blog Entries
    If they're gonna start labeling them ILB and MLB then they might as well start to categorize WR's into slot receivers and outside receivers. Those are more different than 3-4 and 4-3 inside 'backers.... or corners into cover 2 and cover 1 corners... or blocking TE and receiver TE... or pocket QB and scrambling QB.

Classifying 3-4 and 4-3 inside backers in one group is partly a way to cut down on all the position groups. Personally, I don't mind. Most MLB's will perform good in the 3-4 because of the similarities. It's when you go deeper into the players evaluation that you can sub-categorizing players. Just my thoughts

If they're gonna start labeling them ILB and MLB then they might as well start to categorize WR's into slot receivers and outside receivers. Those are more different than 3-4 and 4-3 inside 'backers.... or corners into cover 2 and cover 1 corners... or blocking TE and receiver TE... or pocket QB and scrambling QB.

Classifying 3-4 and 4-3 inside backers in one group is partly a way to cut down on all the position groups. Personally, I don't mind. Most MLB's will perform good in the 3-4 because of the similarities. It's when you go deeper into the players evaluation that you can sub-categorizing players. Just my thoughts
    Draft prospects aren't in any offensive/defensive system yet, so labeling is often (as Childress would put it) a fluid situation.

You'll also notice some players labeled 'OL' when they played LT their whole college career. Doesn't mean they're going to play a position called "Offensive Line"... they play Left Tackle.

HEY
    Blog Entries
    Draft prospects aren't in any offensive/defensive system yet, so labeling is often (as Childress would put it) a fluid situation.

You'll also notice some players labeled 'OL' when they played LT their whole college career. Doesn't mean they're going to play a position called "Offensive Line"... they play Left Tackle.
    Damn, parochial we are today?

1. Gee, evaluation and projecting draftees are a fluid situation... guess teams should just quit evaluation players then. Oh wait, that's what the whole draft is about!

2. Now we're kinda getting out of the whole subject here!
    Yes, interior lineman and outside lineman are quite different positions. Same as outside linebackers and inside linebackers are different (especially in the 3-4). You can still see some sites label them as just "LB".

.. but that really isn't the point. Point is that a middle linebacker is TECHNICALLY an inside linebacker. Calling a middle linebacker is technically not wrong. How can anyone argue with straight facts?

Types of Linebackers
    ILBs are the linebackers in the middle of the field, positioned between other linebackers. The 4-3 formation uses one inside linebacker, while the 3-4 uses two.
    BOOOOOOOOOYAAAH!!

Damn, parochial we are today?

1. Gee, evaluation and projecting draftees are a fluid situation... guess teams should just quit evaluation players then. Oh wait, that's what the whole draft is about!

2. Now we're kinda getting out of the whole subject here!
    Yes, interior lineman and outside lineman are quite different positions. Same as outside linebackers and inside linebackers are different (especially in the 3-4). You can still see some sites label them as just "LB".

.. but that really isn't the point. Point is that a middle linebacker is TECHNICALLY an inside linebacker. Calling a middle linebacker is technically not wrong. How can anyone argue with straight facts?

Types of Linebackers

BOOOOOOOOOYAAAH!!
    Eh... looks like the only one getting off-topic is yourself.

MLB refers to a 4-3 defense.

ILB refers to a 3-4 defense.

You can disagree, but you only prove your own football ignorance.

The Wiki answer is correct:: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linebacker

The terms middle and inside linebacker are often used interchangeably; they are also used to distinguish between a single middle linebacker playing in a 43 defense, and two inside linebackers playing in a 3-4 defense.
    As you said... Booya.

(PS - I've never heard of the site "iSport" but with writing like that, I see why.)

HEY
    Blog Entries
    Eh... looks like the only one getting off-topic is yourself.

MLB refers to a 4-3 defense.

ILB refers to a 3-4 defense.

You can disagree, but you only prove your own football ignorance.

The Wiki answer is correct:: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linebacker
    The terms middle and inside linebacker are often used interchangeably; they are also used to distinguish between a single middle linebacker playing in a 43 defense, and two inside linebackers playing in a 3-4 defense.

As you said... Booya.

(PS - I've never heard of the site "iSport" but with writing like that, I see why.)

Ha ha I was gonna say... it's not what I would use as an official source, but it's definitely a source

While we're on that topic: Sorry, I don't want to offend you my friend, but then again, using Wikipedia is the ULTIMATE fail.

And again I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not the only one going off the original topic. You see, the difference between you and I is that I used "WE" as in "WE are getting off topic". If you didn't catch it yet: that includes me!

As for you claiming I have football ignorance then I recommend you read over the whole thing once more (seemed like you skipped a bit there). I have already stated that I recognize the term "inside linebacker" can be used in both circumstances. You are the one who proves your "ignorance" by up until now seemingly "accepting" the Wikipedia article (but not stating in your own words).

check. mate.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast