Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I like me some Hunter but Brown worries me. Every site out there has him projected as a OLB, and not a MLB. If they grab him you'd better get ready to see Erin move to the Mike.
    You just hit the "pants on fire" on the truth meter.

There are some sites that suggest he may be better served as an OLB vs ILB, but the majority of sites suggest that he could do well at either position.

The one consistent knock on him is his size. Yet he is the same size as Te'o. I think these guys are just regurgitating each other's BS.

On the site you referenced, cbsports, here is what they started the article with:

04/21/2013 - 2013 NFL DRAFT: FIVE BOLD PREDICTIONS: 5. One linebacker becomes an All-Pro...Arthur Brown of Kansas State got little press in Manhattan and isn't yet a headliner, but he'll make like NaVorro Bowman and go from overlooked rookie to most wanted in short order. Brown can play inside or outside linebacker and his experience stopping the run and in coverage showed scouts he'll play all three downs with the kind of verve coaches want from their defensive captain. This isn't a knock on Manti Te'o or Alec Ogletree as much as a nudge to the limelight for Brown. - Jeff Reynolds, The Sports Xchange
    Note that they are not saying he should be an OLB, but rather that he can play either ILB or OLB. Don't penalize the guy because he is being projected as a guy that can play either position unlike your boy Minter, who only has a chance to play MLB due to his lack of coverage skills and speed to play in space.

I would like to know more about the status of his shoulder injury. But I wouldn't generically categorize it as a lack of size issue. It is a technique issue in how he takes on blockers by putting either shoulder into the blocker that both gives him the advantage to slip off the block easier and put himself into a more injury prone position. Other guys in this category (Ogletgree,Minter, Te'o) struggle with shedding blockers because they don't stick their shoulder into the blocker, but rather use their hands more to try and keep space between them. Pick your poison.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    You just hit the "pants on fire" on the truth meter.

There are some sites that suggest he may be better served as an OLB vs ILB, but the majority of sites suggest that he could do well at either position.

The one consistent knock on him is his size. Yet he is the same size as Te'o. I think these guys are just regurgitating each other's BS.

On the site you referenced, cbsports, here is what they started the article with:

Note that they are not saying he should be an OLB, but rather that he can play either ILB or OLB. Don't penalize the guy because he is being projected as a guy that can play either position unlike your boy Minter, who only has a chance to play MLB due to his lack of coverage skills and speed to play in space.

I would like to know more about the status of his shoulder injury. But I wouldn't generically categorize it as a lack of size issue. It is a technique issue in how he takes on blockers by putting either shoulder into the blocker that both gives him the advantage to slip off the block easier and put himself into a more injury prone position. Other guys in this category (Ogletgree,Minter, Te'o) struggle with shedding blockers because they don't stick their shoulder into the blocker, but rather use their hands more to try and keep space between them. Pick your poison.
    Just remember when you read ILB you are talking about 3-4 and not 4-3. MLB is what you see when they are talking MLB. I wish CBS would do a better job of differentiating between the two.

I agree that he can play ILB, what I don't agree is that he can play MLB. Two distinctly different critters my friend.

As to the size comparison.....Teo dropped weight not only during the season but also for his workouts in an effort to be faster. The media guide that came out at the beginning of last year had him listed at 255lbs.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I am hoping for at least one of the following players after the first round is said and done. The bolds would make me really happy.

Geno Smith
    Dee Milliner
    Star Lotulelei
    Matt Barkley

Cordarrelle Patterson
    Xavier Rhodes
    Desmont Trufant
    Alec Ogletree
    Keenan Allen
    Tavon Austin
    Manti Te'o
    Ryan Nassib
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I am hoping for at least one of the following players after the first round is said and done. The bolds would make me really happy.

Geno Smith
    Dee Milliner
    Star Lotulelei
    Matt Barkley

Cordarrelle Patterson
    Xavier Rhodes
    Desmont Trufant
    Alec Ogletree
    Keenan Allen
    Tavon Austin
    Manti Te'o
    Ryan Nassib
    My list is significantly different, mostly because I think Ponder will be OK....

DT's
    Star Lotulelei
    Sharif Floyd
    Sheldon Richardson
    Sylvester Williams

WR's
    Justin Hunter
    Cordarrelle Patterson
    DeAndre Hopkins (could be a reach but won't be there in the 2nd)

MLB/OLB
    Kevin Minter (could be a reach but won't be there in teh second)
    Manti Teo
    Alec Ogletree (but only if Erin moves inside)

This class is deep at CB's, especially C2 cats. We can get a starter into the 4th.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Just remember when you read ILB you are talking about 3-4 and not 4-3. MLB is what you see when they are talking MLB. I wish CBS would do a better job of differentiating between the two.

I agree that he can play ILB, what I don't agree is that he can play MLB. Two distinctly different critters my friend.

As to the size comparison.....Teo dropped weight not only during the season but also for his workouts in an effort to be faster. The media guide that came out at the beginning of last year had him listed at 255lbs.
    No, everywhere you see ILB, doesn't imply they are only referring to a 3-4 scheme. It's just a generic way of saying MLB/ILB whether it's a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme. Most draft prospect websites do not list MLB as a position but rather loop them together as ILB.

That is a Marrdro interpretation intended to server his purposes rather than the intent of the author who wrote it

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    When I read inside linebacker I read exactly what it is: an INSIDE linebacker. In other words, a linebacker who plays inside in either the 3-4 or 4-3. There are differences of course, but the positions are so similar that I can very well understand why people group them together.

In my mind, If it says MIDDLE linebacker then it's a different thing. Then we're just talking about the inside 'backer in the 4-3, hence the word "middle".

By the way, Marrdro, was it not you who said that Marrdro played out of position at Notre Dame. That his true position is middle linebacker? Not that I think it makes much of a difference for him anyways.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    No, everywhere you see ILB, doesn't imply they are only referring to a 3-4 scheme. It's just a generic way of saying MLB/ILB whether it's a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme. Most draft prospect websites do not list MLB as a position but rather loop them together as ILB.

That is a Marrdro interpretation intended to server his purposes rather than the intent of the author who wrote it
    I'm with Marrdro.... ILB refers to 3-4, MLB refers to 4-3...

Some people may interpret it differently, but Marrdro is definitely correct.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post

I guess there aren't any MLB candidates in this draft then, because all the draft sites classify them as ILB.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Hmmm... most draft sites and experts already categorize the two positions as "inside linebackers".

.. but yeah, sure! We can all define "ILB" as only the inside linebacker in the 3-4, BUT what are we then going to call the inside linebacker in a 4-3 AND 3-4 as a GROUP?

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

I agree!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast