SharperImage Mock Draft 2013!!

1st round – #23 (#23 overall) - Keenan Allen, WR
    2nd round – #22 (#54 overall) - Justin Hunter, WR
    3rd round – #21 (#85 overall) - Tyler Wilson, QB
    4th round – #5 (#101 overall – T.J MacDonald, SS
    4th round – #23 (#119 overall) - Jordan Hill, DT
    5th round – #22 (#150 overall) - Tyrann Mathieu, CB
    7th round – #7 (#199 overall – Best Punter available
    7th round – #23 (#215 overall) - best OLB available.

if the vikes are smart thwy could get all former/current first round talent in all their picks.. SKOL!

tarkenton10 is online now Star Spokesman
    My draft changes day by day but here is my official after combine mock draft 1.0

I started off by looking at team needs before us to see who they might draft. So we would have an idea of who would be left for us. and we have a few good propects left which means the staff will have to make a decision. Here's how I think the first round will go:

Team Need Team Player Pos. College
    QB, WR, DE 1. Kansas City Luke Joeckel LOT Tex A &M
    QB, DE, CB 2. Jacksonville Damontre Moore DE Tex A &M
    DT, CB, OLB 3. Oakland Sharrif Floyd DT Fla
    QB, DE, NT 4. Philadelphia Geno Smith QB WVA
    DE, S, C 5. Detroit Ezekiel Ansah DE BYU
    QB, OLB, WR 6. Cleveland Cordarrelle PattersonWR Tenn
    QB, OT, OLB 7. Arizona Eric Fisher OT C. Mich
    QB, WR, OLB 8. Buffalo Dion Jordan OLB Oregon
    QB, RT, OLB 9. New York Jets Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia
    S, G, CB 10. Tennessee Chance Warmack G Alabama
    OT, G, OLB 11. San Diego Lane Johnson LOT Oklahoma
    OT, WR, CB 12. Miami Keenan Allen WR California
    CB, DE, TE 13. Tampa Bay Dee Milliner CB Alabama
    DT, C, S 14. Carolina Sheldon Richardson DT Missouri
    OLB, S, OT 15. New Orleans Kenny Vaccaro S Texas
    OT, S, WR 16. St. Louis Jonathan Cooper G UNC
    OLB, WR, S 17. Pittsburgh Desmond Trufant CB Wash
    G, S, DE 18. Dallas Barkevious Mingo DE/OLB LSU
    OT, G, CB 19. New York Giants Bjoern Werner DE Fla St.
    OT, G, TE 20. Chicago Tyler Eifert TE ND
    RB, LB, S 21. Cincinnati Eddie Lacy RB Alabama
    S, CB, RT 22. Washington Xavier Rhodes CB Fla St.

Which means great players like Alec Ogletree, Matt Elam, Star Lotulelei, Kawann Short,Sam Montgomery, Kevin Minterand Jonathan Jenkins would be there. Then you have WRs such as DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter, Robert Woods, Da' Rick Rogers and TavonAustin. Who should they take I narrowed it down to five, Matt Elam, Kevin Minter, Alec Ogletree, Kawann Short and robert Woods. Star if he passes a physical, right now I am not sure he will ever play football.

So the Vikings Select

1. Kawann Short DT P
    2. Robert Woods WR USC
    3. Zavier Gooden OLB Missouri
    4. David Ameron CB NCST
    4. TJ McDonald S USC
    5. Tyler Bray QB Tenn
    7. Marquess Wilson WR Wash St.
    7. James Wilson G Fla

There ya go, I believe the first three will start and do well. Ameron was an All American his junior year if he can get his act together that would be four starters. TJ Mcdonald may be our answer at the other safety, at least I hope so if we draft all these guys.
    Last edited by tarkenton10; 02-27-2013 at 02:39 PM.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    I know a lot of mocks, most in fact, aren't showing it, but I read we still had our 6th due to McNabb not meeting conditions for that additional 6th round pick to WAS...anybody heard different?

Vikings end up with nine draft picks, including their own 6th-rounder | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Vikings

Nice work gents! I could be real happy with either of those lists.

Tho, I don't see us going QB in round 3 with our need at DT and MLB. Pretty sure somebody else will have grabbed Wilson by then anyway, and, unless they've erected one of the thickest smokescreens ever, pretty sure, we've attached the Purple Wagon to Ponder, for better or worse. But, if we landed say, Jon Bostic at MLB in the 3rd while adding Allen and Hunter as outside weapons and then some good depth at S and DT in the 4th, I'd be absolutely freaking Ecstatic!

Tarkenton, I think that list is pretty realistic, and would be one hell of a draft for the Purple Pride! Woods is very polished, perhaps the 2nd most NFL ready WR of this draft and could be a year 1 contributor. Short would be a great addition to our DL rotation at the very least and Gooden showed top end speed at the combine, both straight line and in the short area. Amerson and McDonald in the 4th might be a bit of a stretch, but would definitely up competition at both spots if they were there for us, and Bray just might be the steal of the deal if we could get him properly motivated to clean up his off field stuff. Marquess Wilson has great speed for a 7th. Ok...maybe not quite as realistic as I thought, but not far off either.

In your all NFL mock, I had not seen CLE going WR that early, having already spent their 2nd on Gordon, but, I like the idea, and they do need another playmaker. What I don't see, is PHI going QB that early. They restructered Vick, signed Dixon who played for Kelly in Oregon, and still have last year's early-mid QB pick, Nick Foles, who flashed at times.

I've been thinking about posting a 7 round wishlist here too, but like you said, it changes day by day right about now!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    I know a lot of mocks, most in fact, aren't showing it, but I read we still had our 6th due to McNabb not meeting conditions for that additional 6th round pick to WAS...anybody heard different?

Vikings end up with nine draft picks, including their own 6th-rounder | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Vikings

Nice work gents! I could be real happy with either of those lists.

Tho, I don't see us going QB in round 3 with our need at DT and MLB. Pretty sure somebody else will have grabbed Wilson by then anyway, and, unless they've erected one of the thickest smokescreens ever, pretty sure, we've attached the Purple Wagon to Ponder, for better or worse. But, if we landed say, Jon Bostic at MLB in the 3rd while adding Allen and Hunter as outside weapons and then some good depth at S and DT in the 4th, I'd be absolutely freaking Ecstatic!

Tarkenton, I think that list is pretty realistic, and would be one hell of a draft for the Purple Pride! Woods is very polished, perhaps the 2nd most NFL ready WR of this draft and could be a year 1 contributor. Short would be a great addition to our DL rotation at the very least and Gooden showed top end speed at the combine, both straight line and in the short area. Amerson and McDonald in the 4th might be a bit of a stretch, but would definitely up competition at both spots if they were there for us, and Bray just might be the steal of the deal if we could get him properly motivated to clean up his off field stuff. Marquess Wilson has great speed for a 7th. Ok...maybe not quite as realistic as I thought, but not far off either.

In your all NFL mock, I had not seen CLE going WR that early, having already spent their 2nd on Gordon, but, I like the idea, and they do need another playmaker. What I don't see, is PHI going QB that early. They restructered Vick, signed Dixon who played for Kelly in Oregon, and still have last year's early-mid QB pick, Nick Foles, who flashed at times.

I've been thinking about posting a 7 round wishlist here too, but like you said, it changes day by day right about now!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    I agree that Phily is a strecth but Kelly loves to groom his QB and Dixon and Vick aren't the future of the team. I know that was the real fly in the ointment on my mock but I just had a feeling Kelly might want to get his guy in there in year 1 and go from there. Many org. believe you start with a strong GM, Coach and then QB when you are transitioning to a new direction. I don't have any problems with people doubting the Phily pick, it isn't really that logical.

You might even to be able to flip Ameron and Gooden, some analysts are starting to give some love to Ameron. Every time I like a cat they start to climb. It happened to Warford, Patterson and Short, now Gooden and Ameron are climbing the draft charts.

I love this time of year and would like to see anyone's draft go for it!!
    Last edited by tarkenton10; 03-01-2013 at 12:11 PM.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer
    Always like to see fans mock drafts...

Who knows where some of these guys will wind up getting drafted. Looking at the OPs list, we might get both of those WRs but I thought the QB Wilson was slotted to go before the Vikes 3rd round pick (Great Blue North has him rated #44 player overall, meaning he'd likely be gone before the Vikes 2nd round pick came up...they also had Hunter ranked 43rd overall). I guess if Wilson falls to the 3rd you consider taking him, but I just don't see the Vikes taking a QB high at all in this draft. Too many needs at DT, LB, and WR to go after a guy that may never see the field. I also see no need to waste a draft pick on a punter when Kluwe is more than adequate.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

MV’s early, early just after the combine, draft wishlist…OK, I’m trying to be realistic here, but of course, I’m hoping for some steals!! -

Rd.1 Keenen Allen, WR: The most NFL ready, polished route runner of the draft has good hands, great size and OK speed. He runs all the routes well and maybe more importantly, seems to be a team first guy, who didn’t complain at all when his QB played poorly. We need help now, so his experience and polish are important fits and give him a legit chance of being a significant year 1 contributor.

Rd.2 Jesse Williams, DT: A big, 6’3” 323 pound, strong presence in the middle with a “consistent motor and supreme toughness” who has experience in both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses at NT and DE. His run stuffing could recreate the Williams Wall for a few years and set us up to better weather Kevin’s eventual departure and/or retirement. Did we mention he also plays lead blocking FB on short yardage plays? And, another character fit for our team:
    As a person, Williams is a whole different matter. He's never been in trouble, and his teammates have never said anything bad about him.
    Let's let his tattoos explain his personality. On his head, "Fear is a liar". On his left ear, a smiley face. On his right hand, "I stopped checking for the monster under the bed when I realized the monster is me". Right next to his left ear: yolo.
    Williams' teammates describe him as "funny", "nice" and "thinking". That would seem to fit with the tattoos.
    Rd.3 I’m going big in the 3rd round because a pair of BPA fits our needs had great combines and I don’t want to gamble they’ll last any longer…let’s say we trade both of our 4ths (and maybe a later pick) for a an extra pick in the 3rd…not necessarily in order:

3a. Jon Bostic, ILB: Profootball focus has Brinkley’s performance ranked 52 of 54 MLBs…in today’s pass-happy NFL, I think we need more speed at the Mike. Bostic is a leader with experience in a top defense that plays against top teams in the SEC.
    Downhill Mike linebacker attacks lanes in the run game, often running through reach-blocks to get to his target. Immediately presses with hands on contact with good pad level to create space to work. Brings power to his tackles, stopping momentum and sometimes throwing bigger ballcarriers to the ground. Stuffs fullback blocks and holds his ground to stop linemen if unable to beat their blocks…Hustles in coverage, knows responsibilities on the tight end/running back and works to limit yards after catch. Sniffs out screens and secures the stop.
    It lists his weaknesses as size, as well as speed and burst issues, but he ran a top 3 40, 20 yard shuttle, AND three-cone drill at the combine and I don’t think 6’1” and 245 is too small for a rangy, zone backer.

3b. Ryan Swope, WR: So, in the first, we get our big, versatile, and most importantly, reliable go-to guy. What I’m adding here is some top tier insurance with a chance to take the roof off. People tend to want to compare this kid to Wes Welker or Jordy Nelson due to his color, but looking at the numbers, I see more of a Percy Harvin clone who happens to have more route versatility in addition to his high school backfield experience. He is a solid 6’0” 205 pounds who ran a blazing 4.34 in the 40 and a shifty 6.76 three-cone shuttle with a huge 37” vertical and a respectable 16 reps of 20 lbs more than he weighs. But, most importantly, he has consistent experience having caught over 70 balls and averaged over 11 yards/catch for 3 years straight. Check out some highlights, he runs all the routes and makes all the catches…with a Harvin-esque build and style!

#25 WR Ryan Swope Texas A&M JR & SR Season Highlights 2011-2013 - YouTube

Rd.5 Josh Evans S (or Robert Lester?) Good speed, size and experience but, perhaps, lacking the killer instinct and/or top measurables. But a good value athlete who would contribute on STs and provide at least depth if not competition to start opposite Smith.

Rd.6 Reid Fragel RT? Wow. This is where it gets hard; so many options! I’m starting to get the feeling that somebody is going to pay Loadholt more than we think he’s worth…and we’ll probably sign a low cost alternative who needs a backup with potential to step in as a starter sooner than later. Enter Reid Fragel, a former TE and an imposing figure at 6’8” and 308 lbs with the athleticism to block at the 2nd level and room on his frame to add to his already impressive (33 reps) strength. Maybe we lose a lil meat in the run game, our strength, but we gain some agility for pass blocking, and hopefully, cut our pre-snap, oops, shot my own foot off, penalties in half or better!

Maybe? Rounds 5 and 6 should be switched? I guess, realistically, I would have to put RT as a bigger need if we lose Load, since we can probably retain Sanford relatively cheap and we still have Raymond too. But, value wise, looks like Fragel lasts til later…

Rd.7 Really? OK, I think I should throw in the towel here and leave round 7 up to the guys with a scouting department…if not the whole damn thing!? IDK? Take a stab at a QB? ST depth…?

SKOL VIKINGS!!! CHEERS TO A GREAT DRAFT IN 2013!!!!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    MV’s early, early just after the combine, draft wishlist…OK, I’m trying to be realistic here, but of course, I’m hoping for some steals!! -

Rd.1 Keenen Allen, WR: The most NFL ready, polished route runner of the draft has good hands, great size and OK speed. He runs all the routes well and maybe more importantly, seems to be a team first guy, who didn’t complain at all when his QB played poorly. We need help now, so his experience and polish are important fits and give him a legit chance of being a significant year 1 contributor.

Rd.2 Jesse Williams, DT: A big, 6’3” 323 pound, strong presence in the middle with a “consistent motor and supreme toughness” who has experience in both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses at NT and DE. His run stuffing could recreate the Williams Wall for a few years and set us up to better weather Kevin’s eventual departure and/or retirement. Did we mention he also plays lead blocking FB on short yardage plays? And, another character fit for our team:

Rd.3 I’m going big in the 3rd round because a pair of BPA fits our needs had great combines and I don’t want to gamble they’ll last any longer…let’s say we trade both of our 4ths (and maybe a later pick) for a an extra pick in the 3rd…not necessarily in order:

3a. Jon Bostic, ILB: Profootball focus has Brinkley’s performance ranked 52 of 54 MLBs…in today’s pass-happy NFL, I think we need more speed at the Mike. Bostic is a leader with experience in a top defense that plays against top teams in the SEC.

It lists his weaknesses as size, as well as speed and burst issues, but he ran a top 3 40, 20 yard shuttle, AND three-cone drill at the combine and I don’t think 6’1” and 245 is too small for a rangy, zone backer.

3b. Ryan Swope, WR: So, in the first, we get our big, versatile, and most importantly, reliable go-to guy. What I’m adding here is some top tier insurance with a chance to take the roof off. People tend to want to compare this kid to Wes Welker or Jordy Nelson due to his color, but looking at the numbers, I see more of a Percy Harvin clone who happens to have more route versatility in addition to his high school backfield experience. He is a solid 6’0” 205 pounds who ran a blazing 4.34 in the 40 and a shifty 6.76 three-cone shuttle with a huge 37” vertical and a respectable 16 reps of 20 lbs more than he weighs. But, most importantly, he has consistent experience having caught over 70 balls and averaged over 11 yards/catch for 3 years straight. Check out some highlights, he runs all the routes and makes all the catches…with a Harvin-esque build and style!

#25 WR Ryan Swope Texas A&M JR & SR Season Highlights 2011-2013 - YouTube

Rd.5 Josh Evans S (or Robert Lester?) Good speed, size and experience but, perhaps, lacking the killer instinct and/or top measurables. But a good value athlete who would contribute on STs and provide at least depth if not competition to start opposite Smith.

Rd.6 Reid Fragel RT? Wow. This is where it gets hard; so many options! I’m starting to get the feeling that somebody is going to pay Loadholt more than we think he’s worth…and we’ll probably sign a low cost alternative who needs a backup with potential to step in as a starter sooner than later. Enter Reid Fragel, a former TE and an imposing figure at 6’8” and 308 lbs with the athleticism to block at the 2nd level and room on his frame to add to his already impressive (33 reps) strength. Maybe we lose a lil meat in the run game, our strength, but we gain some agility for pass blocking, and hopefully, cut our pre-snap, oops, shot my own foot off, penalties in half or better!

Maybe? Rounds 5 and 6 should be switched? I guess, realistically, I would have to put RT as a bigger need if we lose Load, since we can probably retain Sanford relatively cheap and we still have Raymond too. But, value wise, looks like Fragel lasts til later…

Rd.7 Really? OK, I think I should throw in the towel here and leave round 7 up to the guys with a scouting department…if not the whole damn thing!? IDK? Take a stab at a QB? ST depth…?

SKOL VIKINGS!!! CHEERS TO A GREAT DRAFT IN 2013!!!!!!
    I like that draft and would be happy with those guys, they are all players and good ones that came from elite schools for the most part. so theyplayed against the best competition.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer
    Updated Mock 4/20

1st round – #23 (#23 overall) - Justin Hunter, WR
    1st round – #25 (#25 overall) - Arthur Brown, ILB
    2nd round - #22 (#54 overall) - Kawann Short, DT
    3rd round – #21 (#85 overall) - Tyrann Mathieu, CB
    4th round – #5 (#101 overall – T.J MacDonald, SS
    4th round – #23 (#119 overall) - Jordan Hill, DT
    5th round – #22 (#150 overall) - Tyler Bray, QB
    7th round – #7 (#199 overall – Best Punter available
    7th round – #23 (#215 overall) - best OLB available.

if the vikes are smart thwy could get all former/current first round talent in all their picks.. SKOL!

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer
    Was originally going to trash your draft, til I reread the thread and saw your updated 4/20 one. That one is pretty good. I might prefer a different DT depending on who else might still be on the board. And we do have three 7th round picks, btw.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast