Published July 31, 2006 12:43 am

Darren Sharper considered himself the new kid when he arrived for Vikings training camp a year ago after experiencing his first eight camps as a pro with the Green Bay Packers.

[size=18px]Vikings notebook: Sharper no longer the ‘new guy’[/size]
Vikings safety had nine interceptions last season

By Shane Frederick
The Free Press

MANKATO —
Darren Sharper considered himself the new kid when he arrived for Vikings training camp a year ago after experiencing his first eight camps as a pro with the Green Bay Packers.

He fit in just fine, though, intercepting nine passes and earning a trip to the Pro Bowl.

With a new coaching staff in Minnesota this year, however, Sharper’s about to go through another adjustment period.

“I was the new guy last year, so I had to adjust,” Sharper said upon reporting to camp with the other veterans Sunday afternoon. “I think this year ... there will be more adjusting. The minicamps helped us out with that. The coaching staff we have here are working well with the players, so all the adjustments are going easily.”

The Vikings have a couple of new kids at the safety position again this year after signing free agents Tank Williams and, more recently, Dwight Smith.

Sharper said he did some homework on Smith and called him another playmaker that will help the defense.

“I’m excited about having him here with me,” Sharper said. “I’ve heard a couple of good words about him from (Shaper’s former Green Bay teammate) Mike McKenzie, who played with him down in New Orleans. He’s told me he’s a good player. I’m looking forward to it.”

Full Article: Vikings notebook: Sharper no longer the ‘new guy’